Zoo Atlanta Signage

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by Feral, Mar 8, 2018.

1. Feral

Feral Active Member

It was brought to my attention that Zoo Atlanta may have signage up stating that weapons are forbidden.

I know that carry inside of the Zoo is legal, and that they cannot stop you.

However, isn’t the act of having signage up not allowed?

Here is the picture in question from December:

IMG_1696.jpg

Thoughts?

2. ForsythGlock

ForsythGlock Member

I think since it says "Leave them at home", and not "These are forbidden", then they could say it was just a suggestion, and not something that they enforce.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I carry openly there and have never had an issue.

GlockGary and Phil1979 like this.
  4. Feral

Feral Active Member

I have as well

I just thought it odd that they have the signage up

5. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

I've openly carried there twice with no problems.

6. Malum Prohibitum

It is, but they do not enforce it, so . . .

7. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

They have the signage up so the less dedicated carriers do leave them at home.

Nemo

8. Phil1979

I want to visit again this Spring. Can we have an open carry GPDO get-together one Saturday?

9. Malum Prohibitum

Why? I mean, if you just want to meet some persons from the board, fine, but the zoo seems like a strange place to do that. If the intent is to rub it in the face of zoo officials who are doing the right thing and do not interfere with your right to self defense . . . I do not see the value.

GAfella and hma153 like this.
  10. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That is precisely why. The fact that the zoo follows state law is irrelevant, because they have a sign. It’s up to us to go as a group so we can flaunt our carrying, make a spectacle of ourselves, and shove it in their faces.

11. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

That sign does not look even remotely recent....

12. johnski

johnski Active Member

His name was Harambe.

13. Phil1979

:-k Well, since the sign has been there a long time, and since a lot of folks may be putting their safety at risk by believing the sign has the force of law, I was just trying to brain-storm a way to let folks know the sign doesn't matter.

14. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

The zoo doesn't have deep pockets. They spend every dime they get on caring for the animals. If we want a new sign, maybe we should offer to take up a collection and pay for one. The zoo does not have tax authority so it relies on voluntary contributions, unlike many of the government entities we rightfully go after for infringing our rights. As Malum said, they are doing the right thing and following the law.

15. Phil1979

Who wants to collect the funds to buy them a new sign and coordinate the purchase with them? I'll donate $20.

AtlPhilip likes this.
  16. Nemo

I suspect with the variation of skills in the bunch around here, that sign likely could easily be made "in house" and presented to them as a gift/donation with a GCO note on it.

Think they would accept it?

Nemo

AtlPhilip, Phil1979 and GlockGary like this.
  17. timbrubaker

timbrubaker I may be slow, but I sure am ugly

This appears to be a problem the zoo could fix with $.50 of green paint.

TimBob likes this.
  18. Dawgdoc

Dawgdoc Active Member

If I recall correctly, in an old thread about a non-screened government building that had a no weapons sign, jrm stated that the sign itself was not a violation of the law because it would still apply to the majority of the population (who are not GWCL holders).

19. Nemo

Make them a new sign stating no permit carry prohibited or similar and all other related info. At the bottom-- sign courtesy of GCO or something similar.

Nemo

20. Phil1979

I think my point has just been proven. I was not trying to be cute or throw anything in the zoo's face.

We are coming up with all sorts of ideas to rectify the situation, but I believe even if we offered them the money for a new sign, they would not want it.

Therefore, the solution is to not focus on the sign per se, but to simply let folks know that portion of the sign is not in effect. We do that by carrying openly.

I'm not talking about 20 loud rednecks scaring animals and babies while slinging long guns.

I'm simply talking about less than half a dozen folks (if we can get that many), wearing holstered pistols and quietly enjoying the day there.