Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, does Zoo Atlanta still have a "No Firearms" sign? Are there any walk-through metal detectors or wands used?

If not, anyone ever OC there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
132 Posts
YMMV, but you should expect to be asked to leave immediately if you OC, whether they post signs or not, assuming they notice you're carrying.

I just wouldn't bother unless you CC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
OC there and they will freak! You will be asked to leave if you refuse you will most likely go to jail. Too many moms with children do not want to see your weapon there and they are well aware of it.
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,724 Posts
Puffyfish said:
OC there and they will freak! You will be asked to leave if you refuse you will most likely go to jail. Too many moms with children do not want to see your weapon there and they are well aware of it.
who owns the Zoo??
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,724 Posts
.............Two weeks later, businessman George Valentine Gress purchased the collection at public auction and donated the animals en masse to the city of Atlanta. City leaders relocated them to picturesque Grant Park, a favorite local picnic and promenade destination. Featuring a jaguar, a hyena, a black bear, a raccoon, an elk, a gazelle, a Mexican hog...............
so is the Zoo still in this park and owned by the City?? parks are legal to carry in and buildings in All Parks are too... :?: :?:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,182 Posts
You can carry there, but if they see it, well.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Then its time for you Atlanta guys to grow a set and sue! :screwy: :screwy: :screwy:
 

·
Member Georgia Carry
Joined
·
11,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Puffyfish said:
You can carry there, but if they see it, well.....
When we get a decent state AG (hopefully in this upcoming election), I'll write him/her to get an opinion about carry at Zoo Atlanta.

If indeed the Zoo is part of a city park, then carry there (OC or CC) should be legal for us GWL holders.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Puffyfish said:
You can carry there, but if they see it, well.....
When we get a decent state AG (hopefully in this upcoming election), I'll write him/her to get an opinion about carry at Zoo Atlanta.

If indeed the Zoo is part of a city park, then carry there (OC or CC) should be legal for us GWL holders.
Part of the park or not, who owns the Zoo?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,230 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
Phil1979 said:
Puffyfish said:
You can carry there, but if they see it, well.....
When we get a decent state AG (hopefully in this upcoming election), I'll write him/her to get an opinion about carry at Zoo Atlanta.

If indeed the Zoo is part of a city park, then carry there (OC or CC) should be legal for us GWL holders.
Part of the park or not, who owns the Zoo?
"When the Atlanta Zoo reached its period of sharpest decline in the mid-1980s, civic leadership appointed an emergency task force to address critical needs. The Zoo was privatized in 1985 with the creation of a nonprofit organization, Atlanta Fulton-County Zoo Inc., and was renamed Zoo Atlanta that same year."

Wikipedia
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,804 Posts
From what I can find, The Atlanta Zoo is private - public partnership owned by the Atlanta Zoological Society and Atlanta-Fulton County Zoo Inc.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
Adam5 said:
From what I can find, The Atlanta Zoo is private - public partnership owned by the Atlanta Zoological Society and Atlanta-Fulton County Zoo Inc.
sounds like a crime ring to me!
 

·
I'm kind of a big deal
Joined
·
5,243 Posts
Savvy Jack said:
Adam5 said:
From what I can find, The Atlanta Zoo is private - public partnership owned by the Atlanta Zoological Society and Atlanta-Fulton County Zoo Inc.
sounds like a crime ring to me!
That's Atlanta for ya!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts
Adam5 said:
From what I can find, The Atlanta Zoo is private - public partnership owned by the Atlanta Zoological Society and Atlanta-Fulton County Zoo Inc.
Which part of that would be public?
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,804 Posts
ChipM said:
Adam5 said:
From what I can find, The Atlanta Zoo is private - public partnership owned by the Atlanta Zoological Society and Atlanta-Fulton County Zoo Inc.
Which part of that would be public?
That's a good question.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-3463

The controversy mobilized both the zoo's support base and Atlanta city leaders to create a crisis team that would implement changes. A new director, Terry Maple, a research scientist at the Georgia Institute of Technology and former board member of the Atlanta Zoological Society, was hired. Atlantaâ€"Fulton County Zoo Inc., a new public-private partnership, was formed to generate funding and run the zoo, which in 1985 officially became known as Zoo Atlanta. Within a few years, the zoo had raised money, increased visitors and memberships, and found corporate donors.
Wiki says:

The Zoo was privatized in 1985 with the creation of a nonprofit organization, Atlanta Fulton-County Zoo Inc., and was renamed Zoo Atlanta that same year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_Atlanta
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,724 Posts
Adam5 said:
ChipM said:
Adam5 said:
From what I can find, The Atlanta Zoo is private - public partnership owned by the Atlanta Zoological Society and Atlanta-Fulton County Zoo Inc.
Which part of that would be public?
That's a good question.

http://www.georgiaencyclopedia.org/nge/Article.jsp?id=h-3463

The controversy mobilized both the zoo's support base and Atlanta city leaders to create a crisis team that would implement changes. A new director, Terry Maple, a research scientist at the Georgia Institute of Technology and former board member of the Atlanta Zoological Society, was hired. Atlantaâ€"Fulton County Zoo Inc., a new public-private partnership, was formed to generate funding and run the zoo, which in 1985 officially became known as Zoo Atlanta. Within a few years, the zoo had raised money, increased visitors and memberships, and found corporate donors.
Wiki says:

[quote:3lmgwws0]The Zoo was privatized in 1985 with the creation of a nonprofit organization, Atlanta Fulton-County Zoo Inc., and was renamed Zoo Atlanta that same year.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoo_Atlanta[/quote:3lmgwws0]

it was Privatized....but like Stone Mountain park is it sitting on a public park lands??
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,804 Posts
rmodel65 said:
it was Privatized....but like Stone Mountain park is it sitting on a public park lands??
I don't have the slightest idea. I don't know if the land is owned by the zoo, or if it is officially part of Grant Park. The zoo is AT Grant Park, but is it part of it?
 

·
Seasteading Aficionado
Joined
·
44,896 Posts
Last time I went to Zoo Atlanta with my wife I may or may not have concealed there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,284 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
9,358 Posts
So the land is public but leased to a private organization that has the right to not have guns on the premises based on Private Property Rights?
 
1 - 20 of 171 Posts
Top