Zero Tolerance at it again?

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by JDcollins78, Dec 29, 2010.

1. JDcollins78

JDcollins78 New Member

Of course, there could be more to the story but it seems this young lady HAD a bright future ahead of her.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/2...ended-charged-possesion-small-knife-lunchbox/

This is rather timely considering that I had a conversation a few weeks ago with a friend of mine (who is a public school teacher) concerning zero tolerance. For the most part, she was on board with it and saw it as a necessary evil. I wonder if she would change her mind were something like this to happen to her daughter.

2. TimBob

TimBob Old, Slow, Boring Dude

Things like this make my blood boil...

A paring knife is not a weapon... unless it is USED as one. Same could be said for a DESK (I saw one thrown at a student while in school). Guess we had better remove all the desks from school!

I bet nearly every car in the student parking lot has a tire tool / crowbar in it.... Geometry classroom has those extra pointy compasses... etc. etc. etc.

3. ookoshi

ookoshi Moderator

According to the superintendent the school DOES have latitude in this case for determining punishment. This is not a zero tolerance problem. This is a "principal is an :3hat:" problem.

4. goldshellback

goldshellback New Member

"Bottom line is: We want to ensure every child feels safe on our campus", Lee County Superintendent Jeff Moss

So, he feels she was a threat ?!?

5. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

6. AV8R

AV8R Banned

Whatever. If you're gonna sit on your duff and let school officials create stupid rules, then you have exactly the school system you deserve. There will be more innocent kids that will fall into this trap because the "outcry" will die down by this time tomorrow.

7. groats

groats New Member

This.

When I was a kid, any school principal dumb enough to do something like this would probably have been shunned by everyone in the community until they moved away.

"Zero-tolerance" is just an excuse for being too lazy, cowardly, or stupid to make a decision. Do we REALLY want people who are unable or unwilling make a simple decision when not under pressure to be in charge of our childrens' safety day after day?

I think not.

8. AV8R

AV8R Banned

You take zero tolerance and combine it with no real punishment, medicated kids, apathetic teachers, and parents who don't give a squeeze and you have the public school system across America in operation today.