Your Thoughts About These

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by S&W 40, Jun 21, 2007.

1. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

Just thinking about my near future purchases, any good or negative thoughts on any that you have personal experience with?

I have read the couple good post here about the M&P and the XD.

Taurus 817UL 38sp (for the HomeSix)

Beretta PX4 compact (40S&W)

Taurus PT 24/7 Pro (9mm or 40S&W)

Springfield XD40

S&W M&P 40

Remington 870 Wingmaster 12ga

Mossberg 500 combo 12 or 20ga

I have not heard much about the Taurus 817 or the Beretta, so if you have had any time with these your knowledge will be of help.

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Mossberg 500 is tried and true. It's a simple, well made shotgun with lots of options for configuration. Mine (20 g) is pretty old and is still going strong. Great shotgun.

3. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

+1 on Mossberg 500 or Maverick 88...great shotguns for a great price. The Mav88 can be had at Wally-World for about $165 OTD.

S&W M&P 40: I love it, out of the box dead-on at 15 yds with WWB.

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

I wouldn't trade my 870 Wingmaster for two Mossy 500's. Just my opinion, no offense meant.

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I have both and XD and a M&P in 9mm.

I just bought the M&P last night, but I ran 100 rounds through a rented one durring lunch yesterday. It shot exactly to the point of aim from the 1st shot to the last and felt like a natural extension of my hand. I like the interchangable back straps. They held to make pistol fit your hand hand nicely.

I like the XD too. The one that I have is actually my wifes. We did have an issue around the 800 round mark or so. It started jamming real bad and not ejecting th eempties. We sent it to S/A under warranty and got it back 2 weeks later. It's run flawlessly ever since.

Personally I like the feel of the M&P better that than the XD or the Glock 17 that I sold.

6. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

The 870 is only rivaled by an old Winchester Model 12. The Mossies are good shotguns though. I simply prefer the 870.

The M&P seems to be very popular, but it just doesn't perform well for me. It feels great and is very accurate, but I don't like the trigger reset on it, which keeps me from being able to run it with speed.

7. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I just went through a whole 9mm and 18" pump 12 selection effort. The short version - I ended up with a G19 and a Mossy 500 and I'm very satisifed with both.

I tried out a couple of mags in a 24/7 (thanks Sharky) and just couldn't hit ANYTHING. I was relatively sad because I had "fondled" this model several times & really liked the grip & overall feel.

I've also fired the XD in 9 and was not terribly impressed either.

From everything I've read & heard you can't go wrong with either the Mossberg 500 or 590 series or an 870. Both are pretty much the cornerstone of defense shotgun. Period. My hunting found that the Mossy was a bit cheaper, has the action release button in a location I like (just behind the trigger guard on the left side) and has the safety in a location I like better than the 870 (the Mossy is on top of the gun while the 870 is on the trigger guard area).

Needless to say I got them both home right away & tried em out they were both great right out of the box, though I can't give you any specifics as to accuracy at various distances. I've not had the chance do anything but put 4 shells through the pump & 16 rounds throught the G19 - just plinking. Some serious testing should be happening in the next week or so. The wife even likes the glock & is pretty ok with it. She does NOT like the shotgun however. I have a couple of scratches on it already where her first (and only so far) shot resulted in the gun flying out of her hands & landing on a rock. :roll:

8. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I responded in the thread about the remmy 870 vs mossy 500..... lenghty I think? Anyways I'm a huge fan of the mossberg action, and the safety + action release buttons are simply in superior places, IMHO.

parts galore for the Mossberg 500. It's been used for heavy duty stuff by heavy duty guys for decades. I've had fun hunting and shooting clays with Remmy 870's but make mine a Mossberg. I dont have a 500 of my own at the moment, i have an 835.

I've actually not shot an MP yet.

Have shot a Taurus Millenium 9mm, small, i think the predecessor to the 24/7 ? I dunno, it seemed OK to me. this was years ago though and i wasnt a good pistol shot really.

9. Purge

Purge New Member

10. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

As far as I know they don't make a 24/7 in .40. I may be wrong on that, though.

I've got the PT140 Millennium Pro and i freakin' LOVE IT!

11. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

GSU,

Last I checked it comes in a 9, 40 and 45.

Thanks for the input, but I really need some info from anyone with any Beratta (PX4 Storm) knowledge. I have read about but have not talked to anyone with one.

12. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

+1 XD. I would strongly suggest you take the compact. It is really like 2 guns in one with the short 10 rounds mag and the 13 round mag making it like a service model.

24/7: I love the grip and ease of use and cleaning but I HATE the heine straight sights and it is hard to get other sights for it. As soon as I can get other sights for it, I change them. But I would buy that gun again . NOTE: Stay away from the 24/7 pro .40 cal. I read a lot of people have trouble.

Thank you

13. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I shot the PX4 at the Beretta Range Day last year. Interesting concept. It went bang when I pulled the trigger. The Beretta rep used that same gun all day. Its Glock 17 size. I wish someone would make a pistol Glock 19 size with thinner grips and better grip angle.

14. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :minigun: :shoot:

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I love mine way more than my wife's XD or the Glock that I sold off. My round count in still low, about 400 or so, but it feels so natural in my hand.

16. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

This is what I keep beside the bed:

[​IMG]

Mossberg 500 12ga.

Can't ever go wrong with it!

17. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

#-o

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nice.