Your First Car

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by GeorgiaGlocker, Jun 1, 2007.

1. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

I may be getting carried away here but..........

What was the first car you ever purchased?

I will go first. A blue 1961 Chevrolet Belair with flared railings (for the lack of a better word) on the top of the trunk on each side. I paid $400 for it and sold it for $200. It was a great car. I never took a pic of it and I don't know why. This was back in late 70's

When I drove up in front of my house, smoke was pouring out from under the hood. I said great! I have beed had. One on the radiator hoses had busted and I just went and bought a new one. (It's always the bottom hose too.) It had a V8 283 cubic inch engine with a 4 barrel carb.

The heater didn't work and it was winter time when I bought it. That didn't matter because I owned a coat. I can remember seeing my breath inside that car on those really cold days. Other than that it was a great car. I will try to find a pic of one a post it.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

1976 Chevy Nova 2dr. My sister totalled it when she cut off a dump truck. I bought it from the ins company for $300. $800 later and 3 weeks at a customer's body shop, it was good as new and covered with 5 coats of dark metallic red, and 3 coats of clear. The shop was a good customer of my dad's and was willing to only charge me for parts/supplies if we let him work on it between paying customers and when his shop was slow.

3. tony218

tony218 New Member

i got a hand me down from my MOTHER!!!
    lucky for me it was a '69 nova.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The Nova was my first. My favorite though was a beast. When I was younger I spent a summer working at a friends used car lot. He had a 72 Corvette Stingray Converible on the lot that he used to let me drive home at night and on the weekends. It was red with a black inteior and top, and had a 454 mated to a 4speed stick. I offered to work a few years worth of summers for free if he would give it me. He sold it though.... :(

5. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

89' LeBaron

Half Blue, Half Rust

I was determined to make it the coolest car in the parkinglot though.

painted it flat black (looked like a shadow)

Added police siren, amped PA, CD to PA switch, Remote PA, wig wag headlights,Knight Rider bar, and electronicly fired bottle rocket launcher.

Was working on using the windshield washers as a flame thrower but i bought a different car, loaned my lebaron to a mexican, and he destroyed it.

Loved that car, no heat or AC, couldn't go over 110, but loved it.

6. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Thats why I started smoking in high school..... There is no better way to light a bottle rocket at 95mph than a lit cigarette.

7. Dan H

Dan H New Member

8. Sharky

Sharky New Member

87 Silver Chevy Monte carlo SS.

Pretty tuned up with mods. Only car that beat it back in the day was the special order vette. I ate Grand Nationals for breakfast!

9. pro2am

pro2am New Member

1970 AMX (two seater version), mint. I bought it in 1984 and it cost me $2,500. I sold it a year later for $3,700. And today it would be worth ten times that.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

93 buick century. that was my first car, but i'm only on my second car now.

11. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

A friend had an 87 Buick GNX with a recalibrated computer and larger than factory turbo. We painted it beige, put a vinyl top, and replaced the the aluminum wheels with steel and std Regal hubcaps. We even put normal Regal chrome bumpers and logos on it. It made one awesome sleeper.

12. GeorgiaGlocker

I had a friend in High school that had a 1969 Z/28 Camaro with a 350 engine that he "suped up". It would do 190mph top end. He lived down the street from me. You good hear that thing coming a mile away. It would blow the doors off anything around. He would often race other cars and no one ever beat him. Ah, high school the good ole days.........

13. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

My grandmother gave me a '67 Ford LTD for Christmas in 1990 after she bought a new car. The first that I ever bought on my own was a '91 GMC Sonoma.

14. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

My friends and I used to make ALOT of money racing cars in high school and college. The GNX and my old Cuda were the cars to beat (even when I wasn't cheating).

15. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

Oh goody!!! another post to let me show how old I am :roll:

Ok - a 1957 Plymouth Fury 2 dr hardtop. If you ever saw the movie of Stephen King's "Christine" - that was it. Only difference was mine was white. I cut grass and delivered papers until I saved the princely sum of $300. My dad knew the chief of police in Union City, and they were selling this car (which had been the chief's car - no lights or markings, but all the good stuff :twisted: ), so he got it for me for $275. This was in 1965.

Everybody made fun of it - until they tried to catch me! Being a police interceptor option meant it had the early Chrysler Hemi engine. Another car I wish I still had. Heck, I wish I had them all back again :D

Taler? Macktee? Don't leave me out here in the senior citizen section all by my lonesome.....

16. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

MMMMMMmmmmmmm Hemmmmiiiiiiiiii

17. GeorgiaGlocker

Dadx4, no "Thank Yous" are necessary. \:D/ I once had a thread that asked " who was president when you were born". Quite a few members responded. Would you like to divulge that information?

18. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

Adam5

yeah, and it was only rated 290 hp, about half that of the later 426 Hemi. But then again, the car only weighed about 2800 lbs. so that was less than 10 lb/hp. It would run right well, though it couldn't stay with the (at that time) new musclecars.

19. Dadx4

Dadx4 New Member

sorry GG, glad to have you in with us old guys, but sounds like you still may be too young for "senior" status.

If you started driving in the late 70's, I already had a wife and kids. But everyone is welcome in our "old geezer group"

My grandad had a '61 Chevy Bel Air - those were nice cars.

20. peashooter

peashooter New Member

1953 Ford Coupe my brother gave it to me before he went to Vietnam. I was 16 at that time. Great car also wish i had it back.