Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Jay Bookman's column in the AJC today (editorial page) refers to the "Stand Your Ground Law," and, even while semi-admitting it does not change Georgia law, argues that it allows someone to shoot down a neighbor who threatens him with a fist - and then just report it to the police.

In case you think it was just a slip, he goes on to say that this is what the bill is intended to legalize and the sort of behavior the bill is designed to encourage.

Time to fire up those pens, ladies and gentlemen.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, but he won't publish the letter. The AJC might, though, if it is a good one. Forum members have had letters published in the past.

I do not have his email in front of me, but if you have the newspaper, it is by his name in the article.

An email to him will do what? Point out he is being untruthful? I suspect he already knows that.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I wrote!

Yep, I caught that ignorance-laced editorial. It made the blood in my veins boil. I wrote an e-mail but it wasn't published.

They did publish one I wrote several months ago about the Weyerhauser incident in Oklahoma where several employees were fired after firearms were found in their locked vehicles on company property. They went on and on about the importance of corporate policies that prohibit firearms in employees' vehicles on company property and they supported ConocoPhillips for standing up to the evil NRA.

I berated them for lumping law-abiding gun owners with criminals and thinking a "policy" is going to stop a lunatic from bringing a gun to a workplace and start shooting.

God they make me sick.

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
I just noticed something the other day when searching to see if any new gun bills have been submitted. The Stand your ground bill has nothing to do with firearms. Want proof?
Try to find one of these words in the bill:
Gun,
Firearm,
Weapon,
Pistol,
Revolver,
Knife,
Shotgun,
Bat,
Rifle

You can't, because they are not there.

This is only about a person's defense.

·
69,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gunstar, it goes beyond that. As Jay Bookman admitted before distorting the bill, it really changes nothing about Georgia law. Georgia caselaw is already "no duty to retreat." This bill just puts it into the statute so that a future liberal judiciary cannot change the caselaw.

It preserves what we have now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts