Yellow Lab saves jogger from attack

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Sharky, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Yellow Lab saves jogger from attack

By ANDRIA SIMMONS
    The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 10/23/07

Gwinnett police are investigating an attempted sexual assault on a female jogger at Tribble Mill Park in Lawrenceville.

A 38-year-old woman said she was jogging during the late afternoon on Oct. 12 when a young man walking in the opposite direction passed her. The man then turned around and shoved her against a tree, where he groped her and tried to put a hand up her shirt, the woman told police.

Then the woman's 120-pound yellow Labrador retriever, Jack, intervened. He chomped down on the attacker's thigh, prompting the man to run away in the direction of the playground, a police report says.

Police say there have been no similar reports in area parks recently. They have no leads on a suspect, said Cpl. Illana Spellman, spokeswoman for the Gwinnett County Police Department.

In the meantime, Spellman advised "if you're going to be jogging at dusk or later, make sure you're with someone, be aware of your surroundings and make sure you have a cellphone with you at all times."

She also warned joggers to avoid isolated areas and change their patterns regarding jogging routes and the time of day they exercise to avoid becoming a target.

A police report describes the suspect as a dark-skinned black male in his late teens wearing a white T-shirt, dark baggy pants and a Dallas Cowboys baseball cap with white stitched lettering.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

In the meantime, Spellman advised "if you're going to be jogging at dusk or later, make sure you're with someone, be aware of your surroundings and make sure you have a cellphone with you at all times."

Yeah right in a perfect world!!!! More like carry a gun. Cellphone???? Like she had time to say hey.... wait,,,,, stop....... Mr. attacker, let me call the cops.......Wacked I tell you!!!!

3. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

I love my dog. Pic from previous thread...he goes about 100 lbs.

[​IMG]

4. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

K9 1
    BG 0

120 pound retriever, I have a 100 pound golden and he is big (not fat) that's a BIG dog.

5. tace

tace New Member

I have a smaller German Sheppard-Chow Mix but I am guessing he would have mauled this guy in such a situation.

And yeah, who needs to carry in Parks anyway, right?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Wow...tribble mill. My g/f's parents live just down the road about 1.5 miles.

7. gsusnake

gsusnake Token Liberal Hippie

Somebody get that dog a treat!

8. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

No Leads

They may not have a particular suspect in mind, but I hope they checked for blood and tried to get a DNA sample of the suspect, if he was bleeding from the dog bite. He will probably end up in the state prison system one day, and prisoners are required to submit a DNA sample. Then this crime can be solved.

On the other hand... what crime did he commit? Attempted rape? Well, the State would have to prove (beyond a reasonable doubt) that he intended to rape her, not just grope her. False imprisonment? Hmm... might work. He briefly held her against her will. That's a felony. Sexual battery? That's a real good fit for the facts, since he groped her or tried to, but sexual battery on an adult is only a misdemeanor. (If he got a full year of jail time on that misdemeanor it wouldn't be so bad, but most misdemeanors only get people 12 months of probation).

9. Claire

Claire New Member

WTG JACK! :D :D

and Volgrad - your furbaby is beautiful!

I'm pretty confident with my 2 dogs around
    I held my yellow lab back one early morning while walking in Boston - a creepy looking guy was leaning on a stop sign - she evidently did not like him - when her hair went up & showed teeth. She's typically people friendly when I'm around - but I trust their instincts better than humans

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Yeah, WTG Jack!

Women joggers really should get GFLs and carry while running. Or, get a running buddy like Jack.

We had an English Springer Spaniel who weighed 130 pounds. He wasn't fat, but he probably was the world's largest Springer. If he had been human, he would have been an NFL interior lineman.

He was my wife's buddy and protector. But, he was really old and feeble, could hardly stand without help. The day before he died, the doorbell rang. My wife answered the door and was met by a guy who scared her. He inserted himself into the door frame so she couldn't close the door and started talking a little strangely.

She started to panic. She was home alone, other than a very old and sick dog, and didn't know what to do. Suddenly, the guy backed away and she felt Harry standing next to her. Softly growling. The guy left rather quickly. She called the cops and the neighbors, but no one else saw him.

Harry couldn't stand without help. He was almost totally deaf. He was at the other end of the house sleeping on his bed and never heard the door bell. But, somehow he knew she needed him.

As soon as the door closed, he collapsed on the floor. He was still there when I arrived home. We carried him to his bed and called the vet. The next day was his last.

Damn! I miss him...

:cry:

We had a German Shepard dog, years before, who saved our older daughter. I just can't handle that right now.

Yeah. Harry died six years ago and still I'm really choked up thinking about it. I don't believe I've told anyone that story until now. Not sure why I did now. But thanks for putting up with it and me.

11. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

good tale Mack. That kinda thing always gets me choked up a bit. Nothing is the same a good dog.

12. tace

tace New Member

:ditto: My German Shepherd and Chow mix is 7.5 years old and I really am not looking forward to when he will have to be put down. Makes me feel like crying just thinking about it. Plus, he was my first dog ever and aside from getting crazy over the invisible bunny from time to time I can't fault him for anything.

13. Thorsen

Thorsen New Member

Damn it Mac! I read that story at work ....

Oh well, I can always blame it on the dust.

14. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

Wow, some of you guys have got some BIG dogs. Sad to hear about the woman in the park, good thing she had her dog with her though. Too bad he didn't chomp the perp's nuts off...

15. Tinkerhell

Tinkerhell Active Member

I bet Jake got the best piece of steak the butcher had to offer for diner that night!

16. Sine Nomen

Sine Nomen New Member

He had to have something to get that nasty taste out of his mouth,

17. fallison

fallison Guest

:rotfl2: