Yeah, he's definitely staring at us . . .

Discussion in 'LEO Encounters' started by Malum Prohibitum, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

So I am in Vicksburg, Mississippi yesterday, and I stop for gas and food. The wife and kids walk the dog and head over to the restaurant while I fill up the gas guzzling luxury vehicle with premium. I see a police car enter the parking lot. Finally, I finish, and go over to the restaurant. I go inside.

I notice through the glass the patrol car has driven across the lot to the restaurant.

It's hot, so I arrange for the two teenaged boys to get water for the dog and alternate taking him out for a walk every 10 minutes.

The patrol car parks.

We sit down at a table.

The officer has not gotten out of his car. He alternately rolls down the window or rolls it up, but he is just sitting there. He is not writing a report. I saw him speak on the radio once or twice, but the behavior that really has me watching him is that he is watching me through the window of the restaurant. This is very noticeable because of the way he has to turn his head. Finally, after 15 minutes or so, I mention something to my wife, who said she noticed he has been staring, too. So I quickly go to handgunlaw.us on the iPhone and start reading to confirm what I already thought, that Mississippi is a state that does not require a license to carry openly. This way I know best how to handle the coming confrontation.

My wife adds the information that she thinks somebody called him, because she saw two persons at his window talking to him over at the gas station and saw him follow me over to the restaurant.

Meanwhile we see two more patrol cars drive around the parking lot. Both leave, but the original officer is still there, still watching my family inside the restaurant.

So there i am sitting with me four kids (one of whom is a toddler) and wife, waiting. And waiting. And waiting.

Guy watched us like a hawk for a long time, more than a half hour, before finally leaving without ever having gotten out of his car. Another car went around the restaurant and left.

We finished and left.

I kind of feel sorry for the officer. I am guessing with the benefit of hindsight somebody called. He had to respond, because he is dispatched. He knows I am not doing anything illegal. I am obviously not robbing the restaurant with my family of six. The toddler is not wearing a ski mask.

What to do?

Maybe he waited a while to make sure the callers were placated and then left?

I do have to say my stress level went up until he departed. It is not comfortable being watched like that when you just want to eat, feed your kids, and get a low stress break from the road.

Antonio Robinson likes this.
  2. Nemo

Nemo Man of Myth and Legend

Just make dayum sure you don't exceed posted limits, weave (whatever that is) in your lane or do anything remotely considered improper until you are out that state.

Nemo

3. Malum Prohibitum

I'm safely home in Georgia. :wink:

4. GAfirearmsReference

GAfirearmsReference Weapons Law Booklet

If not for your beard, people would have assumed you were an off-duty LEO and not been concerned.

But when your appearance identifies you as a mere private citizen without a badge, then some people will be concerned (or pretend to be concerned, just to have an excuse to start some drama) about a person carrying openly.

Glad the cop stayed out of your personal space and didn't approach you.

You're probably right about him just hanging around to assuage the "concerns" of whoever called 911.

5. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

You didn't mention it but you were open carrying? MS hasn't required a carry license for open or conceal carry for several years so the sight of OC shouldn't be traumatizing.

Perhaps he/she is shifty looking? :mrgreen:

6. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Glad it all came to nothing but I would not be surprised if your assessment is spot on with the call being the prompt. In Vicksburg, if your family hasn't been there since before the Shame you're a visitor and treated as such. Just sayin'.

7. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I drove to Maine and back last week for a high school reunion. I specifically chose a route that would limit as many of the anti-gun states as possible, in particular NJ, but it made NY unavoidable. To be sure that I was compliant federal law on firearms transport for any state like NY, I purchased locking cases for the ammo and pistol.

On the way back, I tried to use the same route, but Apple maps kept automatically changing the route, with no warning, to a more eastern route that took me through NJ. I still had my hollow points on me and did not want to find out if they were covered under the federal law for firearms transport. I still have no idea why Apple maps kept changing the route w/o warning.

8. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Because Apple know best. Learn it, live it, love it!

Just glad you didn't get to meet any of these lovely gentlemen!
    [​IMG]

9. Malum Prohibitum

I am basically always carrying openly.

10. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

I wonder how many folks know what that means?

Nullifier likes this.
  11. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

Dispatch said someone complained and sent him to do a little reconnoitering. He had to either go or risk insubordination.
    He interfered with you as little as possible; didn't call you over, didn't even try to have a voluntary encounter. On your way out, you might've thanked him for staying in the area and keeping you extra-safe. I've done that once or twice up in my part of the woods. :)

12. UtiPossidetis

UtiPossidetis American

Carpet baggers probably don't....but then who cares. :rotfl:

13. mdlott

mdlott Member

I don't know if ya'll remember, but there was a man who used to post here who went by the handle "Irish Tiger". If is recall correctly, his world was was changed immensely by some LEO in a town called Cowpen, MS. I believe he even lost his flying career over it.

I don't remember the specifics, but I bet MP does.

14. Suburbbus

Suburbbus Well-Known Member

Irish Tiger used to live down in the area of Turner Field. Have not heard from him in a couple of years now. He had a really bad incident at a Hotel where he was staying while training for a job as a pilot.

15. Archangel

Archangel Moderator Staff Member

He's been back to flying again for some time.

16. Craftsman

Craftsman Well-Known Member

I'm with Falls, there was no "encounter" since the officer never initiated contact. The officer did the least intrusive thing possible to comply with his orders. I would have ordered him a coffee to go and had it sent over to his car, but I sometimes like to poke the bear.

17. zetor

zetor Gaston beat up John

Some places have blinds that can be lowered to keep the sun out of your face. You could have very slowly lowered the blind as you looked back at him.:)

18. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

Cop was making sure you were white.

Last time I was in Greenville, MS there was an election for sheriff underway and every street corner had guys on it with baseball bats with the name of their candidate on the bat.

On the same trip, state highway, topped the hill and the cop at the bottom --- He waives me to pull over (out of state plates) and found my DL had expired so told me to wait for him to write me a ticket. Took a while, quite a long while, he would have all the oncoming cars slow down then wave through the white folks and if not white would find a reason to write a ticket (let me hear that muffler, check tail lights, etc).

Never paid that ticket even though it came with an envelope to mail to the judge. Yes, this was long ago when computers were not common.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2018
  19. IrishTiger

IrishTiger Active Member

Ed, your first problem was that you were in Mississippi. Don't ever go there. I'm still traumatized from my Cowpen experience. I am back flying, thank God, I've been flying business jets for some time now. Ironically, I had to fly into some podunk town in northern MS 2-3 weeks ago to drop some folks off, and I literally kicked them out the door, fired up and left. I wouldn't even buy gas in that miserable, God forsaken state. :lol:

20. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

How is rural Mississippi any different from rural Ga?

Once you get away from Atlanta, a liberal safe space and the gayest city in the entire USA (yeah, even more gay than San Fran and New Yawk), thr rest of Georgia is a lot like MS, ain't it?