1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
163 Posts
In view of the fact we have here on GP one of the worlds last 2 AOL mail users I felt compelled to bring this to everyone's attention. It was sold to a private equity outfit as noted by someone else that is most likely an outfit from china.
Internet trailblazers Yahoo and AOL sold, again, for $5B - Breitbart
Apollo is a US investment firm. It's been around a long time, and have been invested in media and the tech sector for years.

It is hard to understand why they value those two brands at anywhere near $5bn though.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is hard to understand why they value those two brands at anywhere near $5bn though.
Some IP not readily visible. What else could it be.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Some IP not readily visible. What else could it be.
Well, that would be the rational reason. My background is in hedge funds/alternatives including Private Equity and while Apollo has a pretty good reputation in the industry and has made great money for its investors from time to time, they're not so great that they never make poor investment decisions.

One of those poor decisions occurred a couple of years ago when the founder paid Jeffrey Epstein $158 million for "tax advice". Depending on how you look at it, you might consider it a malinvestment.

E.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would assume they're doing it to buy YahooFinance, either for data or maybe to remonetize it so they can flip it.

I can't think of anything else of real value, unless Yahoo has some valuable board positions (I know they used to own a chunk of Alibaba) or controlling interests here and there.

DH

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of those poor decisions occurred a couple of years ago when the founder paid Jeffrey Epstein $158 million for "tax advice". Depending on how you look at it, you might consider it a malinvestment.
Wonder if the founder may have flown the "Lolita Express"?

Reactions: NTA

·
Registered
163 Posts
Looks like they bought the whole of Verizon Media (80% it looks like), so it's possible there are some gems of value in the basket other than AOL and Yahoo!.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Wonder if the founder may have flown the "Lolita Express"?
When you really drill down deep enough, it's probable that Epstein's gig was run-of-the-mill blackmail. When you socialize in those circles, there's plenty of scandal to monetize.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
14,154 Posts
In view of the fact we have here on GP one of the worlds last 2 AOL mail users...
It's tough maintaining your "cool kid" status. :cool: :ROFLMAO:

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,197 Posts
No, it is not. IF you are.

I have no problem with it.

Nemo

·
Registered
163 Posts
... I had to give up my prodigy.com email address ... just sayin'.

·
Registered
3,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1 - 14 of 14 Posts