WTS Strange Mags...

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by DKing, Jul 2, 2007.

1. DKing

DKing New Member

I bought these mags a week ago in a gun store. I paid $15 a piece. I thought they were AK mags. They are not. So I looked them up online and "found out" they are Mini-14 mags. They are not. Too short. So I have no use for them and I'd like to get my money back if possible. I'll eat shipping if you don't live in Atlanta. I believe they are mini-30 mags, but no promises. One has a little rust on it. I can send detailed pictures if you want. They all appear to be 40-45 round mags. IM or e-mail if interested.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Might hit you up if I win tomorrow's raffle. :D

3. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

At the gun store they *told* you they were AK mags? :?

4. DKing

DKing New Member

Well I asked about AK mags and they brough me a tub. I asked if they were Romanian and I got a shrug. Caviat Emptor. They look like AK except they have a different top end.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Could they be AK 74 mags instead of AK 47 mags?

6. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

7. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

I don't have one, so I'm guessing, but it could possibly be a Sa58. It looks like an AK47, but is very different. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sa_vz.58

That magazine has a bolt hold open device on the follower and the Sa58 has a lrbho. The magazine is tapered on the front where the bullets are like a classic com-bloc magazine. And the ribs on the side scream com-bloc as well. Have you tried to load the magazines? See if you can load them with 7.62x39 and whatever you might have around.

8. Dan H

Dan H New Member

"Strange" Mags? Is that a brand?

9. DKing

DKing New Member

They take 7.62 x 39 all right. I'm still thinking they may be mini-30's.

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Is there a brand name or any other sort of identifying marks on them?

11. DKing

DKing New Member

Two do not have any marks. One says:

U.S.A. Magazines
    made in usa.

12. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

USA Magazines made some decent SKS magazines. They are not so common anymore. I have one 30rd SKS mag that is a USA mag, I got it in a trade.

That would be my educated guess. There is only two SKS's that could take AK mags and they were Chinese, the rest had to have special mags, for the poor man's AK :D

13. DKing

DKing New Member

SKS mags have an elongated piece on the front to match up with the slot in the receiver/stock.

These have a small metal block on the rear side of the mag and a small 1/4" diameter hole on the front. I've been told on another site that this indicates it's made for a Ruger. I could be wrong though.

Example of an SKS mag:

[​IMG]

14. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

Yeah, you're right, I didn't even look at your picture closely. I just read USA magazines and immediately thought of the decent SKS mags they made.

That is not an SKS mag as I have the Tapco and the USA and they both have the elongated block up front to fit into the reciever cutout.

Thanks for pointing out my error. I don't claim to be an expert, I just offered my educated guess :oops: