WTH is this...APP permissions.

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by Solomon_G, Jun 19, 2016.

1. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I was looking into getting the ccw app "conceal carry 50 state guide".

I never get an app without looking at their permissions....but i haven't seen this one until now...WTH!

"Initiate a phone call without going through the dialer user interface for the user to confirm the call being placed."

I looked that up....here is what i found it means...

An app can use your phone and/or its call history. Depending on your plan, you may be charged by your carrier for phone calls. Phone access may include the ability to:

• Directly call phone numbers; this may cost you money
    • Write call log (example: call history)
    • Read call log
    • Reroute outgoing calls
    • Modify phone state
    • Make calls without your intervention

Screw that...i don't need the app.

2. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

Alas...I'm a wee bit behind 6.0

3. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

I think lots of app developers are just plain lazy and throw in all permissions "just in case".

4. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Check it out... I don't think it's laziness on the part of developers. I think it's more like rush to market driving sloppy product. Realize this is ongoing and "today's circumstances" were driven by yesterday's rush.

For example, the developers of the app can't exactly change the device security model of the Android, can they? They are constrained by the prior work of someone else in that regard. Android says they have "security" (so your phone is safe), but what they didn't tell you was whether it's a shoddy "all or nothing" (form over substance) model. The app maker says "it will dial for you". The Android security model says the "dial out" permission only comes will all these other scary permissions too, 'cause it's security.

5. CoffeeMate

It's like when web browsers first came out. Basically it was a case of "do whatever it takes to make it do a trick" and all other concerns were ignored, 'cause... you know, marketing -- "we got it and no one else has it". We had (have) things like "I don't know who you are but you just handed me some binary so I'll just blindly execute it because that's how I do the trick". First get the trick established and then later, when people start complaining about all the viruses being passed around, at that point they can introduce things like UAC which says "Do you want to blindly run this binary, yes or no?" like it helps.

Design is usually the first thing both needed and ignored. "Current state" is almost always an aggregation of yesterday's design flaws.

Ask Android which permission allows dial out to include logging, but does not allow direct unrestricted access to the phone log? The answer you get will tell you something about the world according to the app. Besides, the developer(s) of the app likely did their part under unrestricted lab conditions. Someone else likely did the installation package.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  6. Solomon_G

Solomon_G New Member

I am going to do a little more looking in to this crap before i allow anything like that.

It's not just that they put those in there...but why?...why the heck does an app even need to put that in there.

Is the app going to call your mom for you if a bully picks on you?
    Maybe it will order you a pizza....doubt it.

Makes no sense what so ever.

Simple games even have the most stupid permission requests...ARG!

Time to start making phone calls.

7. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

Kind of where no one pays attention to the fact that the Facebook and Amazon apps that both "listen and record using the microphone"...uh, yeah, I don't think so.

8. CoffeeMate

Maybe in case it has to resort to dial-up?

:lol:

Maybe the app takes its job very seriously, which is to ensure you are always completely updated with the latest content?

9. AtlPhilip

AtlPhilip Proud GCO member.

IIRC, while in app Facebook seizes control of the input dialog from the OS, which means it needs that permission so speech to text will still function.

10. GM404

GM404 Well-Known Member

FB has publicly said it's "only" used when attempted to tag songs and such when you are making a post. Righhhhtttt....

Yeah. And record. No one will change my mind about this.