WTB: S&W Revolver(s) - BOUGHT

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by GrimJack, Oct 16, 2007.

1. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

I am interested in getting a revolver or two. Two models that I am interested in:

1 - Medium Frame .357 Magnum, something like a model 19, 620, 686 type. Preferably in Stainless. I really hated to see Bulldawgs King Cobra go, that was a sweet revolver.

2 - J Frame in .38 or .357, preferably one of the aluminum framed, not the high tech ultra-light alloy stuff. Something like a 637, 642 or perhaps a 340 (yeah, it is really light but i like the dark finish).

If anyone has something similar to one of these pm me with pics/description and what you want for it. I am more interested in a purchase rather than a trade.

2. Sharky

Sharky Active Member

Judging by the response people must love theirs as your selections have not yielded results!

I'd say you picked some good ones people dont want to get rid of..... But then we knew you had good taste!

3. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Well the Glock haters don't like it that I have 3 Glocks, but they oddly enough seem to like my Kahr PM9 (odd....). I also have a couple Sigs as my higher end pistols. Want to add a wheelgun or two to the collection. I really liked Larry's Colt King Cobra.

4. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Okay folks, I am curious. Do you guys just not own revolvers or do you own them and love them so much you are not interested in selling them?

For those that own S&W or Colt revolvers do you have any advice to offer do you have any advice on which models I should look for or stay away from?

5. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Like Mine

I have two medium-frame stainless .357 revolvers, one with a 2.5" compensated barrel and one 6". They are both sweet shooters. The big magnum is my favorite handgun to shoot, period. So of course I'm keeping it. The smaller one... I don't use it much, but it's just too sweet to give up, and it has the best double action trigger pull of any factory gun I've ever felt.

I have a S&W model 38 bodyguard, and that thing is a regular carry gun, since it fits in my pocket better than the double-stack compact 9mm that I'm supposed to pack. No, I can't sell my Bodyguard. Besides, after 15 years of regular carry, this thing is beat up. Perspiration has pitted the satin nickle finish. I've dropped it a couple times and scratched and dented it. I added a hip-grip prong to the sideplate and lost the original screws that came with the gun, so now the hip-grip is sort of permanent (unless I can find a couple factory screws without getting screwed on the price). I used to have Crimson Trace lasergrips on it, but they're now on another gun.

Come to think of it, I'll sell ya the Mod. 38 for whatever the going rate on a Kel-Tec P3AT is. If I had one of those, I'm pretty sure I'd never pack the .38 snubby again.

6. Guest

Guest Guest

I own a stainless S&W 681 with a 4" barrel (same as a 686 just fixed sites). I've had this revolver since I was 21 and don't ever plan on selling it. I just like it that much.

Good luck with your search :D

7. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

No revolvers here. When I get one, it will be to match with a .357 levergun, so I won't even be willing to sell my first one :(

8. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Thanks for the info guys (except for Butters, that didn't help me at all :) ). Seems like people are certainly passionate about their wheel guns.

9. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I carry a either a 2 or 3 inch five shot every day. No they are not for sale. You won't find a 357 in alloy except for the scandium models. The older aluminum frames are not up to .357 mag. Frankly with all the cracked frame reports I have seen I am not sure the scandium frames are either.

I dont have one yet but the alloy .38's are great guns.

Here is a review of my 3"

https://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3542&highlight=6015

10. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

I happen to have my wife's grandfather's duty weapon which is a 1947 pre model 10 S&W M&P .38 special with a 6" barrel. It is NOT for sale as it is a family heirloom, but it is great fun to shoot and extremely accurate! :launcher:

11. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

GJ,

I picked up a Pre lock S&W 686 with the sweetest trigger I've ever shot just a few months ago. I got the 4 inch version. Mine was old enough (it's a -2 model) to still have the wood grips which I removed for preservation and installed rubber ones (which also tames a little bit of recoil). This is really my first revolver, so I did a lot of homework. I kinda wanted a .44 mag, but ammo is pricey enough for .357. After much research, I decided that a 4 inch 686 would be the perfect gun for me. I started going to gun shows and going through the classifieds on the forums and found this one. Anyway, I shoot at American Classic quite frequently, so if you'd like to try it, just let me know.

If you're looking for a new gun in .357, then your big choice is the Ruger GP100 or the 686. It seems those two models are what most people are buying. I dont think the 619 or 620 are as popular sellers, because I think most people like the full underlug. Anyway, S&W tends to have a nicer trigger than the Ruger, but that can be fixed. Ruger builds their guns like tanks, but I dont think you're going to wear out an S&W either. If I ever go to a bigger caliber, I'll look at Rugers more seriously. My gun with the trigger work is quite a bit different from a NIB Smith or Ruger, but as I said, you're MORE than welcome to try it out sometime. My next gun will probably be a 442 for carry. Not the most accurate of the revolvers, but a J Frame is not a range gun.

I've got an old Colt New Service that belonged to my Grandfather that is older than the hills and the bluing has seen better days, but it's just cool as hell. It doesn't get shot much, but I do love taking it out of it's case and just admiring it. It's been in a war and was his Police duty weapon.

Sorry to clutter up your WTB thread, but I actually just went through the whole revolver shopping thing. HTH,

Wade

12. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Well, I am no longer in the market. Picked up 2 previously enjoyed Smith's today. A like new model 442 Airweight black 38 snubbie and a slightly more used 3" Model 66 in stinless finish. I may take some picks after I clean them up a bit. I know one thing I suck at any accuracy with a DA revolver and it seems weird to me to shoot the 442 high and right for a right handed shooter. I will certainly need to practice that trigger control.

13. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Here is a pic of the new wheelies.

[​IMG]

14. Breadfan63

Breadfan63 New Member

Sweet! Where did you end up finding the 442? I kinda keep an eye out for them.

15. GunNut

GunNut New Member

16. GrimJack

GrimJack Active Member

Bullseye in Lawrenceville, they always have a decent selection of stuff, not as big as Adventure Outdoors but a good selection and good prices.

17. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Those look pretty good. I'm not a real big fan of wheelguns. Wouldn't mind having one somewhere down my wish list, though.

18. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

That's where I bought my P226 a few days ago.