Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

WTB Nice .22 semi-auto rifle with Nice wood

953 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  gunsmoker 
#1 ·
Looking for something nice. No laminate junk please.

#2 ·
Barefoot Serpent said:
Looking for something nice. No laminate junk please.
BfS:

Just a suggestion, but you might consider a Browning SA22 (ATD)..

New or used, if you shop carefully you might just find one with the "nice wood" you are looking for, and at the same time will wind up with a very, very good 22cal. rifle...

Here's a photo of a new one I bought recently..

Good hunting! :righton:

Jesse

#4 ·
Barefoot Serpent said:
Ironically that is the only rifle that seems to fit the catagory and I have been looking at them. How easy is it to break down and clean? Any issues with them?
Hi BfS:

Truthfully, I don't have a clue.

I'm relatively new to the Browning SA22 family of owners myself, but in my research prior to buying my first I have read nothing but positives about the last rifle designed by Browning (I think).

What I did, and would recommend you do also is check in on the http://www.rimfirecentral.com, and the http://www.rimfireshooting.com forums.

Both of these gun sites are excellent, and each have specific sub-forums for the Browning SA 22. (Also known as the ATD, or "automatic take-down model.)

At either of these sites there are knowledgeable folks just waiting to share their experiences with specific rimfire rifles, and would welcome any questions you might have.

What I think you will find in your search is that the SA22 has a wonderful reputation as a top quality semi-automatic rimfire rifle. It seems most consider them as fantastic "plinkers", or for hunting small game.

I believe I'm correct in saying that "break down" is as simple as pulling back the ejector slightly, pulling back the small lock and giving the barrel a twist.. Repeat for reassemble.

The stocks are (I think) Walnut, and highly polished at that. I brought my new SA22 home and let my wife shoot it, and she wanted it for HER own.

In the interest of continuing our almost 43 years of marriage (two or three of the best years of my life actually) I was happy for her to lay claim to it, and proceeded to search for a 2nd one for myself.

Shortly thereafter I was able to buy a 2nd SA22.. This one was used, and I only paid $200.00 for it.. (The new one was $570 OTD) It's not pristine, but shoots just as sweet as the new one, and my buddy is determined to re-finish the stock and reblue the barrel for me, but I'm very happy with it as it is.

Only a couple of things about the SA22 that you should be aware of.

The SA22 ejects STRAIGHT DOWN.. Not a problem for me (actually a positive, as I'm a lefty) but if you hold it wrong you might wind up with a hot spent brass down your sleeve. I don't think that would happen but once before you held it correctly.. :screwy:

The SA22 comes in Belgian, & Japanese (Miroku).. Belgians before 1974, Miroku's after..

Collectors lust after Belgians and older Belgians are priced accordingly. IF you are looking for resale value down the road, I would suggest you bite the bullet and buy a good Belgian.

If you are just a "shooter", and your plan is just to shoot and enjoy whatever rimfire rifle you buy, the Miroku's are (IMO) just as good as the Belgians.

Both of my Miroku's are capable of greater accuracy than my skills allow me to take advantage of. :righton:

I'll post a photo of my 2nd (used) SA22.

Hope this helps.

Best Wishes,

jesse

P.S. I like my SA22's so much (well, my Marlin 39A's too) that I hope to buy another of each when I find one I like and can afford. These suckers are habit forming..

#8 ·
GAGunOwner said:
PX said:
GAGunOwner said:
I have a Chinese copy of these and it is fun.
Norinco, right?
Yep.
JMO,

I don't think there's a thing wrong with Norinco firearms.. Crap, they've made a bazillion in one form or another. :righton:

I would buy a Norinco clone if I ran up on one at a good price, but I'm so pleased with my well used Miroku, (@ $200) that I would like to find another one of those if I can.

Best Wishes,

Jesse

#9 ·
If you like the the Ruger 10/22's action and magazine system, I'm sure you can find a high quality glossy hardwood stock for one of those.

Also keep in mind that for about 20 years Weatherby made a semi-automatic version of their "MarkXXii" or "MK 22" rifle.
The only ones I see on the Weatherby website now are bolt-action versions, but I know there are semi's out there on the market as used rifles. They have nice wood.

Here's a video of a guy showing off his Weatherby MKxxii

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.