WTB -- inexpensive single action revolver

Discussion in 'Buy / Sell / Trade - Firearms' started by amishbill, Jan 4, 2007.

1. amishbill

amishbill New Member

It turns out that I need a single action revolver for a teaching aid in my NRA classes.

Anyone know of a cheap one out there?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Probably cause Utah is a western state and all that . . .

3. amishbill

amishbill New Member

Nah - not for the UT classes. (good guess though!) NRA Basic Pistol guidelines say I need a DA auto, a DA revolver, and an SA revolver.

Hmm... .no that you mention it... I verified that the NRA requires familiarization with all three, but does UT? I'll have to double check while I'm typing up the class plan.

4. amishbill

amishbill New Member

Dangit. My UtahPermit address shows up in one thread and I'm already getting spam on it... Grrr....

<grumble> looks like it was harvested from the Utah instructor list pdf. </grumble>

</rant>

In less cranky news, the lesson plans are in rough draft form and firm plans will start to appear soon. :)

5. Malum Prohibitum

It is only fair that the death penalty be applied liberally to those caught spamming. I think I am going to write my congressman.

6. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

Imported, Cheap

I have seen several cheap, imported single-action .22 revolvers that sell new for about $150, or used at a pawn shop for $100. They are probably made of inferior metal, poorly-fitted, and inaccurate. I would not expect the gun to shoot to the point-of-aim of the fixed sights. But they should suffice for training purposes, to show how a single-action gun is loaded and unloaded, how to eject the empty cases, etc.

I have fired two such guns. I don't recall the particular brand names, but I think both were made in Italy. They both worked reliably. One was very accurate, the other barely acceptable on accuracy, but both were good enough to plink tin cans with at 20 feet or so.

7. Malum Prohibitum

Gunsmoker prefers semiauto 22s with suppressor cans. :wink:

8. amishbill

amishbill New Member

Well, it looks like I'll be picking up a Colt New Frontier in .22 for a decent price at the end of the month. It blows the budget I wanted to keep to, but it's also just a little more collectible. :)