WTB AK

Discussion in 'Sold/Expired' started by RepeatDefender, Jun 6, 2007.

1. RepeatDefender

RepeatDefender New Member

I would like to get a decent AK. I have about a $400 budget for one. Any opinions? I would like a quality rifle for that price, hi-cap ok, etc.

Got one or know of one?

Should I go 7.62 or 5.45???

Thanks!

2. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Funny you mention this...I'm on the same track and this is what triggered my questions about Gunbroker. I know that Aimsurplus has some online as well. I'll shut up now and learn something for my own search now.

3. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I got mine from JGSales and it was in great condition. It is a WASR10.
    I know AIM sells them also and I read in other forums they are in good condition.

Anyway, usually it is the stock that looks crappy and you can buy new stocks for a very reasonable price.

Thank you

4. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I got my GP WASR10 from the Army surplus store down here. good condition with all the accessories. I guess that doesn't help you too much since I'm in Orlando, but I thought I'd say it anyway. :eek:

5. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

6. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

can't beat the M70AB2 underfolder...

but if you dont like a folder, a *good* WASR will run just fine.

check akforum.com for some good deals, most anything under 400 is going to be a WASR, MISR, or some other low-end AK.

but most of them seem to go BOOM every time you pull the trigger. in my experience, though.

(or you could buy a demilled kit, send it out and have it built... prob under 350)

7. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

What do you mean go BOOM????

My WASR10 shots quite well.

Thank you

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

He means that it fires. I guess an AK goes boom. My .22 goes pop, my Glock goes bang, my Mosin and Mauser both go BOOM.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday New Member

I am a fan of the Chinese Norinco models. I own a MAK-90 and it is a great rifle.

10. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I mean that when the trigger is pulled on an AK, they almost ALWAYS.... make a nice BOOM sound.

WASR's do it just fine.

(you must have read me as an AK player hater but I am exactly the opposite)

11. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Interesting AK variants:

http://www.ak-103.com/rifles.html

...look to be VERY well made. They no longer have prices on their website, but they used to be in the $600 to $750 range.

12. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

+1

I don't think you can get better.

13. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I just read an article about the AKs and the writer says you should go for 7.62x39 without any doubt. His argument is that the rifle has been created for that round AND he tested the 3 variants (can't recall what is the 3rd one) and the 7.62x39 is the best performer.

Wouldn't you want to get bitten by those zombies when they'll come because you chose the wrong caliber for your AK???????

Thank you

14. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

Personally I like the AK74. I have a Bulgy folder and standard stock. Both are a pleasure to shoot. I also have 4 AK47s . I built all of them myself from kits....cost is from $200 to $500.

Oh....either of the yugos on the classic sight would be great guns in your price range.

15. grayelky

grayelky New Member

What about a Chinese copy (7.62X39), with a synthetic folding stock, scope mounted, bayonet, and spare original wood stock, all for $300.00?

You could salvage the stock, scope mount & scope, replace the original wooden stock and still sell it off for $250!

16. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

One thing I read in the special guns & Ammo yesterday about the AK-47 that is quite interesting (I kniw...I kniw, maybe you all know that already....)

The author wrote that the ackward position of the stock places the natural aiming at 100 yards. The Soviet mindset is that the troops are supporting the tanks. The fact that those are full automatic makes the nose go up and it becomes a "nice" shot at 150-200 yards. In fact, the author wrote that the current Iraki army is teached to aim in the knees to make a good chest shot! :shock:

Thank you

17. mmmTang

mmmTang Member

I just posted this in another topic, but it's rather relevant. You can buy a Saiga for around $260. Most people don't know about them, and they are really cheap comparatively speaking.

They're made by the Izmash Armory that makes the real Russian AKs. It is an AK that has been sporterized, so it doesn't have a pistol grip and cannot accept high capacity magazines (in stock form). For about $100 more in US parts you can convert it to a pistol grip and it can use standard AK mags. I've got one that I've converted, and it is hellaciously fun. In the end I got a very high quality AK that's 100% new for about half of what the other high quality AKs go for.

check out saiga-12.com

18. ODG

ODG New Member

I bought a WASR 10 at a gun show in Michigan paid 350
    Refinished the crappy wood. Sanded and stained it black then put 10 coats of Satin finish polyurathane wet sanded with 1500 grit between coats. Receiver cover scope mounts and a 4 to 9 scope. Its a good shooter.