Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever actually gotten permission from the Comissioner of the DNR to carry in a state park?

12-3-10 (o) - " It shall also be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms, bows and arrows, spring guns, air rifles, slingshots, or any other device which discharges projectiles by any means, unless the device is unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible or unless such use has been approved within restricted areas by prior written permission of the commissioner of natural resources or his authorized representative."

I wrote them yesterday to see how I could get such written permission. I'm not holding my breath for any sort of reply.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here's what I sent:
To whom it may concern:
According to GA State Code Section 12-3-10 (o) " It shall also be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms, bows and arrows, spring guns, air rifles, slingshots, or any other device which discharges projectiles by any means, unless the device is unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible or unless such use has been approved within restricted areas by prior written permission of the commissioner of natural resources or his authorized representative."

I have been issued a Georgia Firearms License and will soon be moving to the area near Red Top Mountain State Park. Since I plan on traveling through the park and using the park's facilities on a regular basis, I would like to seek written permission from the Commisioner (or his authorized representative) to carry my concealed firearm loaded and on my person while on DNR land.

How do I go about securing this written permission?

Thank you for you help,
mzmtg
Here's the (totally un-surprising) response I received:
Mr. mzmtg,
The Department of Natural Resources does not issue permits for our visitors to carry concealed loaded firearms on our state parks or historic sites. Likewise we do not allow our visitors to carry any loaded weapon that fires a projectile on our sites except for specific authorized programs such as controlled deer hunts and black powder demonstrations. This rule for the protection of the wildlife and our guests on our sites.
Thanks for your interest in Georgia State Parks and Historic Sites.
Larry Blankenship
Chief of Georgia State Parks Law Enforcement

·
68,657 Posts
For the protection of our guests?

Maybe we should outlaw the carry of firearms everywhere for the protection of all of Georgia's citizens! Why should we be limited to such protection only when visiting State Parks? Why can't I be protected when I leave the Park, too?

·
68,657 Posts
Come on, we know that below is the response you really received.

Dear sir,

As you know, it is much easier to catch firearms than to catch poachers. Also, as you know, just because you asked this question, we think you are an unstable nut who is a danger to guests visiting State Parks and Historic Sites. Thank you for your inquiry.

DNR

Or maybe I am just reading between the lines.

By writing the letter, here is what you were doing ---> :banghead:

·
68,657 Posts
I am just kidding, obviously. Thank you for writing. I was always curious whether their response would be exactly what I thought it was.

Maybe HB 799 will pass?

Link: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113

(Oh! but I am so scared I am biting my fingernails - If HB 799 passes, then I will be unprotected while visiting state parks - I am getting nervous)

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, if anyone wants to discuss this with the Chief of GA State Park Law Enforcement, Mr. Blankenship's direct Email appears to be: [email protected]

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wrote him back:

Mr. Blankenship,
Thank you for your prompt reply.

As a followup question, what is your (personal and/or professional)
stance on Georgia House Bill HB 799? This bill states, in part:

"Code Section 12-3-10 of the Official Code of Georgia Annotated,
relating to relating to directing persons to leave parks, historic
sites, or recreational areas upon their refusal to observe rules and
regulations and prohibited acts generally, is amended by striking
subsection (o) and inserting in lieu thereof the following:
"(o)(1) It shall be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any
park, historic site, or recreational area any fireworks, explosives,
or firecrackers, unless stored so as not to be readily accessible or
unless such use has been approved by prior written permission of the
commissioner of natural resources or his or her authorized
representative.
(2)(A) It shall also be unlawful for any person to use or possess in
any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms, bows and
arrows, spring guns, air rifles, slingshots, or any other device which
discharges projectiles by any means, unless the device is unloaded
and stored so as not to be readily accessible or unless such use has
been approved within restricted areas by prior written permission of
the commissioner of natural resources or his or her authorized
representative.
(B) Subparagraph (A) of this paragraph shall not apply to:
(i) Transportation of firearms in a motor vehicle in any park,
historic site, or recreational area to the extent otherwise
authorized under subsection (d) of Code Section 16-11-126; or
(ii) Possession of a pistol, loaded or unloaded, or use of such
pistol in self-defense or defense of others in any park, historic
site, or recreational area by a person licensed or permitted to carry
such firearm under Part 3 of Article 4 of Chapter 11 of Title 16.""

Again, thank you for your time,
mzmtg

·
68,657 Posts
Well, if he did not know about it before, he will probably be lobbying against it now.

Here he is in the office of a Representative. :soapbox:

·
Premium Member
8,460 Posts
That bill has not made it out of committee from last year, I think he has already done that.

Though I did not know that written permission was not given to "visitors". I did not ask him when I called him about state parks in the first place.

·
68,657 Posts
Whew! So I am still going to be "protected" in State Parks, huh? :lol:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Not to resurect a dead thread but,

If someone is hitting the DOI with a FOIA demand on the justification for killing carry in Federal parks (forrests?) how about a FOIA getting ole' Larry to justify the DNR position?
This rule for the protection of the wildlife and our guests on our sites.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts