Written permission from DNR?

Discussion in 'Places Off-Limits' started by mzmtg, Feb 24, 2006.

1. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Has anyone ever actually gotten permission from the Comissioner of the DNR to carry in a state park?

12-3-10 (o) - " It shall also be unlawful for any person to use or possess in any park, historic site, or recreational area any firearms, bows and arrows, spring guns, air rifles, slingshots, or any other device which discharges projectiles by any means, unless the device is unloaded and stored so as not to be readily accessible or unless such use has been approved within restricted areas by prior written permission of the commissioner of natural resources or his authorized representative."

I wrote them yesterday to see how I could get such written permission. I'm not holding my breath for any sort of reply.

2. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Here's what I sent:
    Here's the (totally un-surprising) response I received:

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

For the protection of our guests?

Maybe we should outlaw the carry of firearms everywhere for the protection of all of Georgia's citizens! Why should we be limited to such protection only when visiting State Parks? Why can't I be protected when I leave the Park, too?

4. Malum Prohibitum

Come on, we know that below is the response you really received.

Dear sir,

As you know, it is much easier to catch firearms than to catch poachers. Also, as you know, just because you asked this question, we think you are an unstable nut who is a danger to guests visiting State Parks and Historic Sites. Thank you for your inquiry.

DNR

Or maybe I am just reading between the lines.

By writing the letter, here is what you were doing ---> :banghead:

5. Malum Prohibitum

I am just kidding, obviously. Thank you for writing. I was always curious whether their response would be exactly what I thought it was.

Maybe HB 799 will pass?

Link: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=113

(Oh! but I am so scared I am biting my fingernails - If HB 799 passes, then I will be unprotected while visiting state parks - I am getting nervous)

6. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Well, if anyone wants to discuss this with the Chief of GA State Park Law Enforcement, Mr. Blankenship's direct Email appears to be: LarryB@dnr.state.ga.us

7. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I wrote him back:

8. Malum Prohibitum

Well, if he did not know about it before, he will probably be lobbying against it now.

Here he is in the office of a Representative. :soapbox:

9. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

That bill has not made it out of committee from last year, I think he has already done that.

Though I did not know that written permission was not given to "visitors". I did not ask him when I called him about state parks in the first place.

10. Malum Prohibitum

Whew! So I am still going to be "protected" in State Parks, huh? :lol:

11. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

12. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Not to resurect a dead thread but,

If someone is hitting the DOI with a FOIA demand on the justification for killing carry in Federal parks (forrests?) how about a FOIA getting ole' Larry to justify the DNR position?