Write 1,000 times, "Must clean gun immediately."

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Macktee, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Macktee

Macktee New Member

On Saturday, the 16th, I thought I was bringing everything I'd need. Everything! I knew I would be shooting my Mosin-Nagant with surplus Bulgarian ammo and had packed a cleaning kit, including a spray bottle of Simple Green to squirt down the barrel after shooting.

I forgot to bring the cleaning stuff. OK. No real problem. It's only a couple of hours to get home and I'll do it then...

When I got home, the grandkids were visiting. OK. No real problem. After they go home, I'll do it then...

After they left, I realized I'd missed cocktail hour and then it was time for dinner. OK. No real problem. After I clean up the kitchen, I'll do it then... (She cooks; I clean. I cook; she cleans. That night, she cooked.)

Anyway, it was late Sunday afternoon before I finally got around to cleaning guns.

Did the Simple Green thing and ran a patch thru the barrel. It came out black. Not gray or spotted with black, but solid black! Nasty looking and it was only the first of many, many, many patches..... until I finally got a clean one.

I ended up spending a good hour and a half cleaning that old rifle. That doesn't include two half-hours waiting for the bore cleaner to do its stuff. I wore out a brass bore brush, I think I killed a bore snake, I used about half a package of patches and quite a lot of various cleaning and lubricating compounds. Way too much work that could have been avoided. :banghead:

Therefore, take this as a warning to all youse peoples who has old guns an' shoots corrosive ammo... DO NOT PUT OFF CLEANING!!!!! The residue of that crappy ammo is difficult to remove once it sets up. Very :censored: difficult!

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Yup. :lol:

I try to take a windex type product with me when I shoot my corrosive stuff. I spray down a patch and swab the barrel with it good before I even leave the range.

3. ber950

ber950 Active Member

I pitted the barrel on a Detective Special shooting corrosive 38 colts in it. I didn't think about it being corrosive and forgot to clean accordingly. :oops:

4. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Going to sleep with a dirty weapon in the house is a sin.

5. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

damn mac ,i had all the tools in my tool box,right next to the coffin :shock: ,all you had to do was speak up :lol:

6. misawa

misawa New Member

Amen, brother! Preach on! :)

7. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Same here. Had all sorts of tools and cleaning gear in the range box and happy to share.

8. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I'm a sinner then. Sat night I cleaned the Mosin and the Mauser. Sunday night, I cleaned the Glock and the XD. Last night I cleaned the PPK/S. Tonight I will clean the AR. I'n not going to clean the Ruger MKIII (stripping it too much of a pain in the a** to clean it after only 40 .22 rounds) or the Hi-Point Carbine (it only had 20 rounds put through it and runs better a little dirty anyway).

9. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the offers.

But................. I didn't think I had a problem at the time! How many times have I said that.......? Oh yeah.......

As for Ramm and Adam, go :censored: yourselves!!!

What a couple of smartasses! I'm disappointed in both of youse! OK, not Ramm, but Adam... I thoughts youse was a nice guy. Apparently NOT!

It's not like I didn't know I should have cleaned it... I was just trying to offer some advice to everyone else that I learned the hard way. I thought I'd get thanks, not insults! Some friends youse guys turned out to be...

And, as for youse Adam..... Well, just think about it. I never, ever, ever would have thought I'd put you in the same category as Ramm, but, Ah thunk you dun did it yo yourself... For shame!!! :evil:

10. Macktee

Macktee New Member

Thanks guys, I appreciate the offers.

But................. I didn't think I had a problem at the time! How many times have I said that.......? Oh yeah.......

As for Ramm and Adam, go :censored: yourselves!!!

What a couple of smartasses! I'm disappointed in both of youse! OK, not Ramm, but Adam... I thoughts youse was a nice guy. Apparently NOT!

It's not like I didn't know I should have cleaned it... I was just trying to offer some advice to everyone else that I learned the hard way. I thought I'd get thanks, not insults! Some friends youse guys turned out to be...

And, as for youse Adam..... Well, just think about it. I never, ever, ever would have thought I'd put you in the same category as Ramm, but, Ah thunk you dun did it yo yourself... For shame!!! :evil:

11. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Macktee, tell us how you really feel? :lol:

12. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

And, twice at that. :D

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Yeah...... I must be a bad influence on him. :twisted:

14. Macktee

Macktee New Member

You be a bad influence on everyone you meet!!!

I used to think you were an OK kinda guy. Good family man, dutiful husband, good father, reliable friend and all that other :censored: stuff!

Imagine my shock when I discover what a :censored: :censored: :censored: piece of :censored: you really :censored: are. You manage to make :censored: Ramm look like a :censored: choirboy... Honestly, I didn't think that was :censored: possible.

Oh well. What can I say? Sunday at Bullseye? About :censored: oneish?

15. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I wish I could since I have a new toy, but we're going white water rafting Sunday.

16. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Where are you going rafting?

17. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

I wanted to shoot the Ocoee, but my 11 year old daughter and her grandma are comming, so where going down the Nathahala (sp?). My 1st wife and I told our daughter that next year when she's old enough, we'll take her down the Ocoee. We used to run the Ocoee about once or month or so, but it's been a while.

18. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

Nantahala is a fun river. I actually just looked down at my shirt to spell it :lol: My dad has a house about 15 minutes from the Rafting Center there. I've been down it several times.

19. NetAdminWithGun

NetAdminWithGun New Member

Ha, this is going to kick this up again but i still haven't cleaned mine from 6/16. But then again I really dont care because i can just go pick up another one if needed. Being only an 80$ rifle, i spend more then that going to competitions.