Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's probably been discussed before, but I though I'd relay a funny (to me) story. I've always been a little worried about printing, mainly around my family. They're not really what you would call "gun people". Luckily for me, the weather has been fairly cool so I can wear a jacket to help that out. That S&W k-frame isn't a small, easily concealable chunk of metal. But it can be done. Anyway, the other day when I bought the new Sig, my friend had asked me if I had the revolver on me. I replied "yes". He tried to figure out exactly where I was carrying it. I was just in jeans, t-shirt, and a long-sleeved plaid (but not flannel) shirt. And it wasn't even an over-sized shirt. I figure if a long-time friend and fellow carrier that knew I was carrying didn't spot it, I really don't have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I used to worry a lot about it. I've since come to the conclusion that most people are not looking for it, they don't think about it, they won't notice it.

Hell, even when I OC, I get the feeling that most people don't notice.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
dunkel said:
Hell, even when I OC, I get the feeling that most people don't notice.
I was in Walmart a while back with my wife. I was OCing my fullsize M&P in a Serpa holster and wearing my "Guns Save Lives" pin. We were stopped in an aisle and the wife was looking at some stuff I overhear a woman talking with her husband/boyfriend about my pin. I turn around and engage them in polite conversation about what the pin meant, where I got it, GCO, etc. The guy points at my M&P and asks about it and the girl squeals "I didn't even see that!!". LOL Me and him both got a good laugh out of it.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
I don't worry about printing anymore. Keep it from being overly obvious but majority of people aren't out there looking for it

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
I OC 24/7, but I certainly understand CC. This is not to start a debate. I respect all carriers, but I will be in Florida for a week. I have a pretty good grasp of Florida law. Everything I read in Florida forums seems to infer that printing is not an issue. I own a cheap, tuckable, IWB holster, but I wear it miserably. Those of you that know me know my build. :lol: It's going to be in the mid 70's, and I want to be comfortable. I was thinking about a Khaki vest, but everybody says that screams CC! :help:

·
Registered
87 Posts
I do not worry about printing. I don't OC often just because I don't like the idea of the BG getting the drop on me. But rarely am I in deep concealment either. Normally just a sleeveless denim shirt over my tee.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
jwhunt said:
I do not worry about printing. I don't OC often just because I don't like the idea of the BG getting the drop on me. But rarely am I in deep concealment either. Normally just a sleeveless denim shirt over my tee.
I can see this working while you're upright, but as soon as you bend over you're made. I plan to hit the beaches, to check out the "babes" while the wife's in a convention. :oops: I like to pick up things, and sometimes I enjoy running a metal detector over the sand. Should I be concerned,................or is that equal to camping of fishing? :lol:

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like I said, my main concern was around my Mom and my sister. I have a feeling it would cause some major drama. Out and about, I really don't care so much. I just thought it was kinda funny that my buddy didn't know where my carry gun was on me.

And PLEASE don't let this turn into a "which is better" debate. That was not what was intended by my post at all. Merely to point out to anyone new to carry, in general, not to worry about printing. As someone pointed out, most people just don't pay any attention to anything.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
I know everyone has their preference for CC holster, but I have to say...a bellyband solves a lot of CC problems. Even a full size auto just makes your waist look a little bigger, but certainly doesn't scream "GUN". You can CC that even in swimming trunks and a light t-shirt, as the weight is supported by the elastic band, not your belt.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The other morning, at my favorite coffee shop, while in line to be served, a woman behind me said "he's carrying a gun". I turned to her and smiled and said "yes mam" and the older I get the heaver it gets. She smiled and that was that.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
The only time i am even remotely concerned about printing is while i'm visiting my Mother and/or Sister in FL.

here in GA, No one ever thinks about my concealed gun because they are more focused on the other one in the serpa off my hip

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
I OC clearly all the time, and I don't think most people even notice it. Most are so wrapped up in their day and what they are doing, they never see it.

I'm sure its the same with CC. I've noticed a few guys I thought were CC'in in restaurants and stuff. Its tough, you have to know what you're looking for.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I was OC most of the day yesterday (the weather was beautiful). Well, it turned a little breezy, so I threw on a pullover because I had to run to Wal-Mart. Well, the pullover is pretty slim fitting and left no doubt that I was carrying. You can still see the bottom of my Serpa Holster sticking out of the bottom of my pullover. Well, the guy who was checking out knew it was a gun, too....and was considerably nervous. It was kind of comical. I don't know if he was expecting me to pull it or what. He kept looking at it. He'd ring another item, glance at my gun, etc, etc. I bet he dropped six of the items he was scanning. He fumbled the dollars bills I gave him to pay, and then dropped all the change. He was early 20's. There was no one behind me, so I couldn't resist and asked...here is snapshot of the convo:
Me: everything okay?
cash: yessir
Me: are you nervous or something?
cash: just a little?
me: are you nervous that I have a gun?
cash: kind of
me: well, no need to be nervous. It stays there in the holster unless there is an emergency that calls for me to use it.
cash: oh
me: just think, if a situation came up where I would need the gun in here, you and I will both be glad that I have it with me.
cash: i never thought of it that way.

he finally smiled. the whole thing was pretty comical, but I did feel a little sorry for him. I invited him to come to the local range sometime and take a course about firearms and make himself more familiar. Sure hope he does. He might have a heart attack next time!

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Howerpower said:
Me: everything okay?
cash: yessir
Me: are you nervous or something?
cash: just a little?
me: are you nervous that I have a gun?
cash: kind of
me: well, no need to be nervous. It stays there in the holster unless there is an emergency that calls for me to use it.
cash: oh
me: just think, if a situation came up where I would need the gun in here, you and I will both be glad that I have it with me.
cash: i never thought of it that way.

he finally smiled. the whole thing was pretty comical, but I did feel a little sorry for him. I invited him to come to the local range sometime and take a course about firearms and make himself more familiar. Sure hope he does. He might have a heart attack next time!
Well handled.

·
Banned
2,559 Posts
CountryGun said:
jwhunt said:
I can see this working while you're upright, but as soon as you bend over you're made. I plan to hit the beaches, to check out the "babes" while the wife's in a convention. :oops: I like to pick up things, and sometimes I enjoy running a metal detector over the sand. Should I be concerned,................or is that equal to camping of fishing? :lol:
If you like to pick up things, don't pick up a "babe" and let the wife find out or it want matter if you're camping or fishing....:)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I only worried when I first started but that was Texas in 97' . Not so much here in GA even OC from time to time in cobb never had anything bad happen. New philosophy don't worry be happy HA HA.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
I dont OC much myslef either.For about the first 3 months I used to worry about printing. I dont anymore. Most people I come in contact with dont really look for guns on people I've noticed.Most of the time now I lacy CC. Nothing more than a T-shirt over it and no issues in my year of carrying.

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
I have worried in the past. Now that I am more informed on GA law, I couldn't care less :D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts