Working on a range at my house...

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by luke0927, May 9, 2007.

1. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

or more or less just a good place to shoot...nothing fancy.

Well could still have a riffle range if not for the subdivision....but my uncle got sick and had to sell his land....another story....

But im working on about a 50 yarder that will be pleanty for shooting pistols...got the loader out and carving out some dirt....not going to be anything fancy but the back stop will just dirt and stumps from the trees we've had to push down due to pine bettles.....

I'll post some pics when done as much work as i have been doing hopefully i can spend some time on it....

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I make two unsolicited suggestions. (1) Check very carefully your ordinances (county and/or city) regarding discharge of firearms for the distance from the property line, distance from the road, and distance from occupied dwellings. (2) Get rid of the stumps! The backstop should be dirt only. The stumps will rot, are of varying resistance to penetration, and may allow a bullet to pass through, deflected enough to send the bullet in a direction not intended. In my ignorant opinion, it is not safe to have any organic soil in the backstop.

3. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Thanks I'm all good to shoot at my house we've got 30 arcres and im still in the rural part of Forsyth Co.....( Well i hope so cause ive been shooting guns since i was able to walk here)

so no city limit etc...I will still look into ordanices just in case, although it makes me sick that i even have to check cause my family has owned land in forsyth county for over a 100 years before all these people were here; but its almost all gone (been sold off and a lot of other things), and you cant do anything without the government stepping in and having to get permission to do things on your own property.

The stumps will not be the major back stop i just need somewhere to put them so they will be in the back and the dirt will be filled on them plus in front of them as the major back stop.

I think im just going to put some 4x4 post up and some old plywood up so that i can mount paper targets too and shoot into that (and the mound will be the backstop)

4. Malum Prohibitum

Well, I have acreage, and I kept it in beautiful woods, but everybody around me cleared their land, and then, lacking forest, decided they would build 50 feet from my property line (hey, look at all the beautiful woods).
    :evil:

Coweta has a 100 yard distance from an occupied dwelling rule, which means 300 feet, which means overlapping zones 250 feet into my property where I cannot shoot without permission, even though I was doing so for over a decade previously.

I measured. I stand right next to one of those zones when I shoot, but not in it.

Anyway, it is very difficult to shoot on my property in compliance with ordinances, now.

I guarantee that Forsyth has discharge ordinances, and it would be best if you looked them up before the sheriff shows up, rather than afterward.

I may clear cut the whole forest and put up ugly sheds right next to the new homes, just out of spite . . . :evil:

It really is a pretty view from their houses . . . :roll:

5. S&W 40

S&W 40 Active Member

MP,

Do the good thing and make one of the sheds a shooting range, kind of indoor.

6. Malum Prohibitum

Can't. It must be 100 yards away.

But an "outbuilding" need be only 5 feet. And it might be really ugly.

7. Malum Prohibitum

So, when will it be ready for a GPDO or GCO pistol shoot?

8. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I feel your pain!!!

i know its 50 yards from a public road but i will check into the distance from a dewlling....if its not more than 100 yards here in forsyth i shouldnt have a problem but its better to find out first....

Say the police show up on your property can you just say do you have a warrent? if not get off my poperty wonder how that would go :shock:

9. Malum Prohibitum

If they are armed, I suggest you immediately place them under citizen's arrest for carry without a license, O.C.G.A. 16-11-128, and make them prove their exemption in court. :lol:

10. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

Any idea how i can find this out i found this but it only talks about ranges not private land?

http://www.municode.com/resources/gatew ... 631&sid=10

I'll keep looking...

I wasnt able to find O.C.G.A. § 16-11-105

I read through the site and they were the standard cannot fire from public road...anothers property etc....i can find any specifc ordanices

11. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

I would pay to see that!

12. Malum Prohibitum

That's because it no longer exists. It was repealed, but it used to criminalize the discharge of a firearm on Sunday. Even then it would not have interfered with you, because it had an exception for shooting on one's own property.

13. Dan H

Dan H New Member

I vote for a GCO shoot/meet on said land.

14. Malum Prohibitum

Well, those do not apply to plinking in the yard, but I notice the code is still published for parks! See 54-5.

15. Malum Prohibitum

Maybe Forsyth does not regulate private shooting on one's own land?

16. luke0927

luke0927 New Member

I didn't think they did as long as you weren't in the city limits or below highway 20

if you are below highway 20 you can only discharge a muzzle loader or a shotgun with buckshot....hell a muzzle loader can shoot just as far now a days as a riffle....

Now thats something i havent' shoot in while my muzzle loader....

17. kkennett

kkennett New Member

I don't believe they do. They had a flare up aoout this a couple of years ago and the sheriff was on the news as saying all we have is 50 yards from the public road. Don't raise your head too high, luke, or they might pass such an ordinance.

18. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Those are DNR regulations for hunting season. They have nothing to do with target shooting on your own land.

IANAL

19. wwomack

wwomack New Member

You would pay money to see the police shoot a man? That's just twisted. :shock: