Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting a new job (finally) in the back room of a big box store and need to find a comfortable pair of steel-toe work boots. Anyone have recommendations? Brand, where to buy?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
753 Posts
I've been wearing steel toes on concrete for about 15 years now. I have tried several brands including Wolverine, Georgia Boots, Redwing, and Timberland. My personal favorites are Wolverine. Wolverine Durashocks seem to hold up better on concrete and are lighter in weight. They are on the expensive side though. If cost is an issue, then I would recommend Georgia boots. They are definitely good quality for the money.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,306 Posts
Madpegtod said:
I've been wearing steel toes on concrete for about 15 years now. I have tried several brands including Wolverine, Georgia Boots, Redwing, and Timberland. My personal favorites are Wolverine. Wolverine Durashocks seem to hold up better on concrete and are lighter in weight. They are on the expensive side though. If cost is an issue, then I would recommend Georgia boots. They are definitely good quality for the money.
I agree- I have tried many and Wolverine Durashocks are my favorite.
 

·
I'm kind of a big deal
Joined
·
5,243 Posts
If you have to go lower end due to price you can always put some good insoles in them (like Dr. Schols or similar). :righton:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
737 Posts
I have a pair of timberland steel toe boots that felt great the two times i wore them, my company went out of business a week later. :evil:
 

·
Senior Mumbler
Joined
·
6,490 Posts
I will spend good money on comfortable work boots. I'm on concrete all day and my body will pay the price if I don't. I've worn Redwing for years but recently switched over to Belleville Boots and wear their 800 ST. Darn good boots.
 

·
Under Scrutiny
Joined
·
19,386 Posts
krmbigmac was wearing some good looking steel toe Redwings today on the Jeep ride.
I like my steel toe Wolverines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,133 Posts
A pair of Redwings saves me from losing a foot in 2002, IMO quality has suffered in the last 2-3 years though. I use Bates composite full caps now. Really lightweight and very strong.
 

·
Yukon Cornelius
Joined
·
11,750 Posts
my dad works for the railroad and wont buy anything but redwings all the others wear out way too soon...ive got a pair of redwings boots ive had for about 6 years now
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Our company buys us a new pair every year, and in all the years I've had to wear steel toes and through all the major brand names I've worn, I still prefer Doc Martin boots. The industrial brand I wear are water proof, slip resistant, and steel toed and are the most comfortable I've worn. I have now had them resoled twice and they just won't die!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
Jonboy said:
Madpegtod said:
I've been wearing steel toes on concrete for about 15 years now. I have tried several brands including Wolverine, Georgia Boots, Redwing, and Timberland. My personal favorites are Wolverine. Wolverine Durashocks seem to hold up better on concrete and are lighter in weight. They are on the expensive side though. If cost is an issue, then I would recommend Georgia boots. They are definitely good quality for the money.
I agree- I have tried many and Wolverine Durashocks are my favorite.
+1 here. I've been wearing Durashocks for most of 18 years now. I've tried Georgia Boot, Knapp, and the cheapies from ChinaMart. Wolverines hold up the best in a fabrication facility, so they'll last longer in a warehouse.
Don't forget that if they are required by your employer, you can deduct them (or your protion paid) on your taxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,542 Posts
I wear redwings every day. Comfortable and mine have the steel plate in the bottom to keep nails out. ouch
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,625 Posts
mountainpass said:
krmbigmac was wearing some good looking steel toe Redwings today on the Jeep ride.
I like my steel toe Wolverines.
Thanks for the compliment mountainpass.

This is what I wear. http://www.redwingshoes.com/productdeta ... rodid=2047 They are the most comfortable boots that I have put on my foot, yet. (break in was a little rough). This is my second pair that I have purchased. When I first got them, I had to take them back to the Red Wing store on three or four different occasions for warranty. Evidently, the glue that they used was not holding the tread onto the leather (especially the toe pad). Every time they swapped the boots out for a new pair. Shh. :cantsay: They were not supposed to do it more than once. I do not think they can be resoled.

Edited for clarity.
 

·
Atlanta Overwatch
Joined
·
13,864 Posts
I prefer Wolverine for a combination of longevity and comfort. In cold weather I wear a pair of Wolverines when not working.

I'm just glad that I no longer have a job that requires oil/chemical/slip resistant soles with steel toes and steel metatarsal plates.

I just picked up a pair of these out the Dawsonville Outlet Mall for only $57. I no longer need a work boot. but they are comfortable and good for working around the house and light hiking.

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/P...ine-DuraShocks-Lace-To-Toe-6-inch-Opanka-Boot
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,542 Posts
Adam5 said:
I prefer Wolverine for a combination of longevity and comfort. In cold weather I wear a pair of Wolverines when not working.

I'm just glad that I no longer have a job that requires oil/chemical/slip resistant soles with steel toes and steel metatarsal plates.

I just picked up a pair of these out the Dawsonville Outlet Mall for only $57. I no longer need a work boot. but they are comfortable and good for working around the house and light hiking.

http://www.wolverine.com/US/en-US/P...ine-DuraShocks-Lace-To-Toe-6-inch-Opanka-Boot
yeah $57 is alot better than the $200 i pay for my redwings
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top