Woodstock says no loaded guns carried on the streets

Discussion in 'GA Laws and Politics' started by pro2am, May 17, 2007.

1. pro2am

pro2am New Member

I don't live in Woodstock, although I'm close. While browsing Municode for firearm regs for discharding a firearm I ran across the following (bold is mine):

The bolded section sounds like it is contrary to state law...yes? No provision made for GFL holders.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Yes, that is contrary to state law.

3. Hickory Flatlander

Hickory Flatlander New Member

Says "no loaded" firearm. I believe they can legally apply that. Dont know for sure.

4. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Oh damn!

:shock:

I'll start drafting a letter to the city attorney. I don't live in Woodstock, but family does and I do live in the county.

5. Taurus

Taurus New Member

LOL...Me tooo, I am in Acworth, Dad and Bro are in Woodstock...This is shocking...What do GCO members have to say??? (I'll be a GCO member soon)

6. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

You might ought simply to call the city solicitor and see if they even enforce this law?

7. pro2am

pro2am New Member

This is an exerpt from the article that started my search:
    I was interested in Cherokee County and Woodstock ordinances on discharging firearms.

8. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I decided to start with a letter to GCO. I wasn't happy with what I was coming up with on my own.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Folks, we need to know if they even enforce it. Ordinances and laws can be on the books but not enforced.

If you take a look at the brief, you will see that the first step in the facts section is a call to the solicitor's office.

10. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I just left a voice mail with the city manager.

http://www.woodstockga.gov/index.asp?nid=67

11. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I just got a call back from Mr. Gleason. He was very nice and seemed very willing to get any conflicts resolved. He wasn't personally familiar with either the ordinance or its enforcement, but said he would get in touch with the chief of police and legal counsel to see what might need to be done.

He also mentioned that he carries. BUT, he said he carries on a Florida non-res permit. I suggested that he continue chekcing with his legal team because he would need to get a GFL to be legal as a GA resident.

So, this is going well so far. :)

12. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

[-(

13. Malum Prohibitum

Unaware of it?

Good sign! :D

Showing up is 90% of the battle, and that is what your phone call was.

14. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I got another call back from Mr. Gleason. He spoke with the chief and ,after reviewing the ordinance and state code, realized that the ordinance was clearly preempted. The chief is apparently new to the job and wasn't familiar with GA gun laws. They talked with some more experienced officers and they knew that the ordinance was preempted, it was just never changed. They also said that the ordinance had never been enforced anyway.

Actually, they were under the impression that no permit was required for open carry, only for concealed.

Mr. Gleason thanked me for bringing the matter to his attention and said he was going to get the ball rolling to get the ordinance updated. I let him know that I would be keeping my eye on the published city council agendas and thanked him for taking such quick action.

15. Taurus

Taurus New Member

Holy shiate, this is becoming a very productive proactive group...Great Job Man!!!
    Wow! Just started the chang to a town ordinance in a matter of hours... :shock:

16. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

This could work in our favor in regards to getting an open carry law on the books.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Good Job, mzmtg! :D

18. Malum Prohibitum

A lot of LEOs think this. Not a bad thing for them to think . . .

19. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Good job. =D>

20. slabertooch

slabertooch New Member

Might explain why I haven't been hassled down here in Allbenny. Heck I carried in the Mall last night, less than a week after a guy got shot there, no one even batted an eye. The teenagers did get a little google eyed.