Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an older house with real wood paneling in the living room. It's nice, but has a lot of knot holes I'd like to fill.

None of the wood putties/pastes/goop that I've looked at appear to be good solutions.

Maybe a homemade solution where one of the not so bad products can be used as a base, then I can add other stuff to it?

How about a foam backer, then caulk it with stainable caulk of some sort?

Or I can make some paper tracings, and someone here with a CNC machine can custom cut me some plugs? Just kidding, lol!

·
Registered
642 Posts
If you're planning on painting over it, you can just fill the knots with Dap patching plaster using a putty knife. It dries in a couple of hours and good to go.

If you're keeping the "wood" look, the idea is to fill the knots with a filler color-matched to the knot (as knots are usually darker than the surrounding panel). You can varnish the knots with a wax-free shellac (wax-free because you want a good bond later) to bring out the color (easier to match) and then fill with something like Famowood or Dap wood dough - matching it to the knot (Mixol makes tints you can add to solvent-based fillers).

That said, supposedly the retro look of "knotty pine" is "in" again, so... staying the course is always an option.

DH

·
Registered
642 Posts
Fill them with automotive bondo, sand smooth, and stain with leather dye. BUT, experiment on a single, small hole first until you get the color right!
Tom
Unless there is some very good ventilation, I would be hesitant to use Bondo inside a house... styrene fumes can be nasty.

I guess if it's a scenario in which the house isn't necessarily inhabited for a couple of days after application, it's okay (in which case, yes, Bondo is suited to the job.)

I've worn the "organic chemist" hat back in the day, and that styrene "buzz" isn't as fun as it should be!

DH

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yep, a LOT more.

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,401 Posts
Get more pictures.

Nemo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts