Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Somebody let me know what that link says.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
Yeah me too. I don’t click on links without an introduction and a short summary of what the article is about .

·
Man of Myth and Legend
15,408 Posts
Basically it says you are still going to get screwed in a liberal city if you ccw and need to use it. But worse than if reciprocity was not the law.

Nemo

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,937 Posts
"Progressive" states and cities vill have vays to get back at you.

Use a gun in self-defense, even in a clear cut case, you get put through the ringer just to cost you time and money, if not prison.

Also, wait for a multitude of new off-limits places to be put into city and state law. And for the penalties for carrying there to be increased.

I suspect ALL city and state parks will be put on that list. As well as any "public gathering". Yes, that ugly law WILL make a comeback in those communist states. Hopefully, we will never see that again here in Georgia.

Let's hope such shenanigans will have the blow-back effect of putting those politicians out of office.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
It says what the title says. Basically, if you think you will be able to just go wherever you want, (NY,CA,IL), then you better think again. Link worked ok for me.
It wasn't that the link didn't work, but in another thread where he just posted a link without any content, some of us pointed out we don't click on links without some info, usually quotes. He then issued the following challenge.
NTA said:
Bet you keep on clicking. There's hardly any other content on this forum for you shut-ins.
I guess he not only still thinks we're shut-ins, but don't have good memories too.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
Yeah me too. I don't click on links without an introduction and a short summary of what the article is about .
It is an essay that says local governments will defy the federal law, just as they are doing with sanctuary cities. Resistance to Trump, and all that.

He also claims they will make your life miserable in other ways and gives the example of the guy in Portland, Oregon who drew his gun on Black Lives Matter activists (there was a thread and video here back when it happened).

It is an odd example for him to use. The consensus here was that he was unjustified, and the author of this article agrees it was unjustified.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,613 Posts
Okay, I read the article.
Light on analogous cases, and a weak attempt to equate sanctuary for illegal aliens (local governments won’t help enforce federal laws) with defiance of federal reciprocity (which calls for NOT enforcing LOCAL gun laws).

Still, the article’s underlying warning is valid. Some hardcore leftist cesspools of Stalinism like NYC and SanFran will be reluctant to find that you qualify for reciprocity, and if there is any way they can nail you for carrying in an off-limits location, expect them to.

Fair enough.

Some L.E. agencies in NY and NJ have been wiping their butts with the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986 for the last 30 years.

We need to get a federal law like 42 U.S. Code, section 1983, amended to allow both individual officers and their agencies to pay big penalties for denying federally-recognized gun rights (even statutory rights that aren’t directly from the Second Amendment).

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yes, local laws that conflict with the Fed's, rule.
Especially if the locals can collect some taxes from it.

Can you believe it was not long ago that folks went to jail for a long time if they had any pot on them ? There was a raid down the way at my mother's townhouse back in the 90's over a pot deal gone wrong. Several 20+ year sentences were the result.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Now President Trump is telling Republicans in Congress to forget about national reciprocity.
Trump wants MORE gun control, with nothing pro-gun included as a compromise, in response to the Florida school massacre.
Funny, though, how this crime by a 19 year old UNLICENSED person with a LONG GUN (AR-15) is being cited as the reason to block a law that would let licensed and background-checked bona-fide "good guys" (and gals) carry their HANDGUNS (not battle rifles) when visiting other states. Talk about conflation of issues.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Now President Trump is telling Republicans in Congress to forget about national reciprocity.
No, he didn't. He said he's rather see reciprocity as a stand-alone bill where its chances for passage would be better rather than lumped in to the latest pie-in-the-sky bill that's going to be full of emotion driven BS from the Parkland shooting.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/trump-rejects-adding-concealed-carry-reciprocity-background-check-bill/

Trump said during a bipartisan meeting with lawmakers at the White House that, while the measure may pass one day as its own bill, adding it to any bipartisan background check legislation would doom it to fail.

·
Super Moderator
69,784 Posts
No, he didn't. He said he's rather see reciprocity as a stand-alone bill where its chances for passage would be better rather than lumped in to the latest pie-in-the-sky bill that's going to be full of emotion driven BS from the Parkland shooting.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/trump-rejects-adding-concealed-carry-reciprocity-background-check-bill/
Its chances of passing are not better as a standalone bill than attached to a bill related to NICS and punishing federal agencies that are not meeting their obligations under NICS. The President is just wrong about that as a matter of politics.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
National reciprocity may or may not pass on its own. We'll have to see what transpires. My point was that Trump didn't say he was against it as Kurt implied.

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts

·
Weapons Law Booklet
1,056 Posts
Although, I can't imagine a solidly anti-gun bill like Trump has talked about would NOT be very controversial and strongly opposed by conservatives, too.
Trump wants to:
1-- Ban bump stocks (though he appears to prefer to do this alone and through the executive-branch agencies he controls, rather than legislation from Congress).
2-- Raise the age limit to buy any gun (he did say "all guns") to 21 (although later a GOP insider said Trump just meant semi-auto assault type weapons).
3-- Add new classes of people whose temper or disturbing behavior puts them on a no-gun-sales list, with some of these people having their homes raided and all guns confiscated without (at that time) any due process of law.

Yeah, #2 and #3 on that list sound very controversial. Lots of potential for abuse there. "Slippery slope" for sure.

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts