Wondering about XD

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by tace, May 16, 2007.

1. tace

tace New Member

I heard another member complain about the XD he owned being a POS. Now, I bought mine because another gun I had was having problems and I really can't shoot well with Glocks (looks don't help either). It ate everything I threw at it so far.

What I am asking is, from past and present XD owners, did you have issues with your XD? What was the problem and the model.

Thanks

2. Dan H

Dan H New Member

No problems here, I have an XD9 and it shoots great! Glad we have another one around here!

3. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I don't own one, but I have a shooting buddy that does, and I've put some rounds through it with no complaints.

The only problems that I have ever seen mentioned with them are issues with the finish. Supposedly there is some way to completely lock it up, but I don't have the slightest idea how to do it, but I have heard it from more than one person that is in the know.

4. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

We had a minor problem with my wifes XD-9. Somewhere around 5 or 6 hundred rounds, it started jamming every 2nd or 3rd shot. I thought she was limp wristing, but it did the same for me and two of the guys that work at our local range. It was shipped to Springfield repaired under warranty and has run flawlessly since. Personally, I prefer the feel of my Glock 17 over the XD-9. My wife prefers the feel of the XD-9 over the Glock.

5. zxd9

zxd9 Active Member

My XD9 Tac has downed 12k+ rounds and runs great. I'm very pleased with it. You can get a really great trigger job done on this gun. Go to this forum for more info..
    http://www.xdtalk.com/

6. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Yeah, I had the 4lb trigger done by canyon creek and it is night and day. I would highly recommend it.

The finish on the XD slide was a problem prior to 2005-6?? I dont recall but the new finish is called melonite and essentially the same thing as Glocks. Prior people had reported some rust, however I have the pre-melonite version and I have no problems.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

melonite==teniffer

8. Dan H

Dan H New Member

exactimundo

9. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

[​IMG]

10. Axeman

Axeman New Member

No worries mate.

I have currently the XD40 Subcompact, and the 4" service model XD45 ACP (SS bitone), and I used to have the "4 service XD40. :shoot:

I have not had a single problem with any of the these pistols. No finish issues either. :)

These are great pistols!

My brother has an XD40 Service model also, and he has had no problems either.

11. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I bought a few weeks ago the XD45c and I am very satisfied with it. Not a single issue in about 1000 shots.

HOWEVER, a lot of people do not know, but when you dissassemble it, make sure the lever stay vertical and you do not move it when you pull out the slide because it will scratch the side of your slide and it won't look nice.

Thank you

12. Bulldawg182

Bulldawg182 Active Member

I've been wondering the same thing since I need to buy a 9mm and am flip floppin between the G26 & XD sub compact. I own a 27 & 23 but brought my 16 year old shooting last weekend and rented him a 9mm Glock. He shot all three as well as a .357 Colt King Cobra and really, really liked the 9mm.

I have to say, I shot 50 rds or so and although I shoot my .40s fairly well, found it much easier to accurately shoot multiple rounds with the 9mm.

Anyone have a nice 26 lying around?

13. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

I briefly owned an XD45. I had a FTE on the first round ever fired from the gun (defective extractor). The gun also failed to go into battery at least once per magazine, so I replaced the recoil spring. After that it ran great with practice loads, but with anything +p you were lucky to get all your shots on the target. I traded it for my 2nd G36.

I don't mind that XD's are made in Croatia, but the whole "USA" (ultra-safe action) badging on the slide makes me wonder what kind of weak-minded customer base their marketing team was going for.

14. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

For a 9mm, check the Taurus 24/7 pro. Everyone who fired mine loved it.
    Another one I was quite surprised is the Steyr 9mm. The low profile slide makes the recoil feel like your wife is kissing your hand...:)

Both are cheaper than the XD or the Glock and using http://www.galleryofguns.com/gunlocator ... rstart.asp you have prices around 450$ instead of a Glock at prices around 550$.

Thank you

15. tace

tace New Member

Steyr is a low recoil gun that is more accurate than a Glock. But, its no where as reliable as a Glock or XD. Mine has been back to Steyr more than once. Shoots fine at the moment but can't get myself to carry it.

16. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

If you bought your Steyr before February 2006, they had two issues that I don't recall for now (too many guns, too few brain cells...). those are solved now. How do you like your triangular sights with your Steyr? I really suck at accuracy (I am worse than your Grand'ma, but I loved those.

Moreover, about the XD, I read a lot of great comments about people who bought the tungstene bar to replace the current plastic one. The added weight removes recoil and increase the accuracy of multiple shots. I know..I know. Mods guns are a good weapon in lawyers hands when you defend yourself. It is why I am hesitating to use that mod because the XD45c will be my primary carry weapon.

Thank you

17. tace

tace New Member

Kestak,
    My Steyr was much newer than Feb 06, so technically it should have been taken care of. Also, Steyr never really issued any recalls or made any ammends to commonly known problems. The tri-trap sights are fine, but I think a decent set of Heinie (sic?) or similar three dot sights are probably more accurate. The triangular sights do allow for very quick target acquisition. But I have more fliers with the Steyr than my XD. Also, even with the new extractor the Steyr doesn't like some rounds.

I am accurate enough with either gun to take down what I need to, but I may upgrade my front sight of the XD to a night sight.

Oh, and that thing about upgrades on guns and lawyers is total BS. Aside from adding excessive stuff like vent ports, scopes or crazy finishes, most internal mods (trigger spring, recoild spring, etc) would either never come up or can be easily dismissed by any competent attorney.

18. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I remember now one of the issue with the Steyr: It was sending the brass backward and people were getting the brass on their head.

I have straight heinie sights (8) on my Taurus and I do not like them too much. But anyway, like I said, I suck quite much anyway. So, for me, until I get better, any sights are bad...hehehehehehe

For example, yesterday I did at 15 feet 2 nice groupings under 3 inches with each mag (17 rounds), then I began to shake and the next 50 rounds were all over the place (12 inches). I gave up, switched to my XD45c and I started swearing because I could not even do 2 shots in a row in a 5 inch circle. I went home quite ashamed thinking about the 40x 9mm and 50x .45 sucky shots I just did. hehehehehe

Thank you

19. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Plastic?? :?

20. Dan H

Dan H New Member

Really all it comes down to is trying several different guns you are considering and getting the one that is most comfortable for you and that you shoot well with. Some of these guns are very similar so it really just comes down to personal preference..