Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,727 Posts
bdee said:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/15/military.women/index.html?hpt=T2

Pentagon says it's time.

Would a male soldier behave differently if a female soldier was in danger? What about relationships?
Yes and yes.

·
Registered
707 Posts
Phil1979 said:
bdee said:
http://www.cnn.com/2011/POLITICS/01/15/military.women/index.html?hpt=T2

Pentagon says it's time.

Would a male soldier behave differently if a female soldier was in danger? What about relationships?
Yes and yes.
I agree with bdee. I'm not saying they should'nt....or can't. but it'd be a little diffrent.
Overall, I think, they'd do as good a job if they earned it like the rest of us.

Having said that, I'm a little older fashioned in that I hold women in a higher regard.....not chauvnestic, just me being over-protective (I'm an older brother and a father of girls). The trauma of war is something I'd want to spare from women. That's just me. If I served side-by-side with a woman in combat because she wanted it, then so be it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Let em go. I know some females that run circles around their male counterparts...

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Can a woman play in the NFL? in the NHL?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
pml said:
Can a woman play in the NFL? in the NHL?
Some could. :shattered:
Other armies have found that it works. Look at the Israelis, The Aussies, and others. I don't know how they do it, but women do serve well. I can't see it working in our armed forces, mainly because of sexual issues. I know "Grunt" will be along shortly. He always conveys the reasoning against women in combat very well.

Thousands of women have been under fire, and serve in dangerous settings. That is worlds apart from sending them out on a mission. There are absolutely some women who could handle it. They are fit, strong, and courageous. We've all known them. The concerns are for how they would disrupt the mission. It's one thing for a male service member to not be distracted by the gay dude serving with him. It's another for a male service member to be effected when he feels it's more his duty to protect the woman, than to stay focused on his job.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Do we have a choice? Have you looked around lately? The young men I see are not exactly the same bunch who took the Pacific back from the Japanese, and ran the Nazis all the way back to Germany.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I would imagine today's soldier is every bit as good as those in ww2.

·
Registered
156 Posts
bdee said:
I would imagine today's soldier is every bit as good as those in ww2.
I wasn't speaking about the soldiers in today's military. I was addressing the number of young men in our society who are not qualified for military service.

Obviously the Pentagon is concerned about it, too, or else they wouldn't be thinking of putting women into combat.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Actually the people they drafted in ww2 were in poor shape, and lots of malnutrition. Today it is obesity.

The problem is that the solution they came up with then is what is causing our problem now. But just like then if it came down to it, they could get the fat kids ready for combat in ten weeks. Just think what ten weeks without an xbox, and running a few miles everyday would do for them.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think they should be allowed to be in combat, but I do have reservations. One would think that women would have a much higher risk of sexual abuse then men should they be captured. Think about the people that we're fighting against. They'll stone their own women to death for being raped. The "comfort women" in the Pacific campaign also come to mind. Not to say that men who captured (either then or now) were treated humanely because they certainly were (are) not. Sadly, it seems that we've fought against some of the more inhumane people.

·
انا باتمان
11,745 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I know that pregnancy is a problem for Israeli soldiers. Turns out they use coed barracks as well.

·
Registered
7,554 Posts
What's the impact when they drop the physical requirements ? Like happened in the police departments ?

If war becomes remote controlled vehicles / drones it will probably be fine.

·
Registered
156 Posts
bdee said:
Actually the people they drafted in ww2 were in poor shape, and lots of malnutrition. Today it is obesity.

The problem is that the solution they came up with then is what is causing our problem now. But just like then if it came down to it, they could get the fat kids ready for combat in ten weeks. Just think what nine weeks without an xbox, and running a few miles everyday would do for them.
I hope that you are correct, but in my opinion, the problem goes deeper than just malnutrition vs. obesity. Simply put, in my opinion, (and speaking only about the young people in our country who are not presently fit for military service), I think that they might be willing to die to defend their Xbox, but not their country, their way of life or their loved ones.

And if / when the SHTF again like it did in 1941, I sincerely hope that I am wrong.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Works for me.....seeing my daughter ran Combat missions almost every day for 14 month's in Afghanistan.....including several missions as a medic for SF's. In my daughter's unit there were 5 females. 2 Humvee drivers, 2 top side gunner's and herself....Medic....

I know this issue has been talked about by myself in past threads.....and a lot of opinions about females in specialized units like Rangers, SF, and Force Recon units....but there are some exceptional women out there and some real knucklehead males.....I think it all comes down to how bad you want something, how hard you train for something, and how committed you are. My daughter, who is now a Senior Medic at the Ft. Bragg Fight House and a MAC......(Modern Army Combatives) Instructor has a tough job. In MAC women are not teamed up against other women. They fight men and in most cases much bigger and stronger. My daughter's strength is her brain and her skills, which she works on continually. She can pretty much hold her own.....Sorry if I sound a little biased...but she is my daughter...lol

·
A Typical Cat
1,743 Posts
goldshellback said:
I agree with bdee. I'm not saying they should'nt....or can't. but it'd be a little diffrent.
Overall, I think, they'd do as good a job if they earned it like the rest of us.

Having said that, I'm a little older fashioned in that I hold women in a higher regard.....not chauvnestic, just me being over-protective (I'm an older brother and a father of girls). The trauma of war is something I'd want to spare from women. That's just me. If I served side-by-side with a woman in combat because she wanted it, then so be it.
I am also in agreement. I feel women would do just as well in combat as men if trained properly. The traditional intended purpose for having them excluded was to hold them in a higher regard and spare them the trauma and perils of warfare.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,727 Posts
No doubt some women would make excellent combat soldiers, but if the ban is lifted, what would prevent women from being drafted (if a draft was reinstated) to serve in that role?

Would the greater good be served to maintain the ban, or would it be better to have your daughters and sisters subject to being drafted?

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Phil1979 said:
No doubt some women would make excellent combat soldiers, but if the ban is lifted, what would prevent women from being drafted (if a draft was reinstated) to serve in that role?

Would the greater good be served to maintain the ban, or would it be better to have your daughters and sisters subject to being drafted?
I personally wish we would reinstate the draft. Some of the finest soldiers I ever served with were draftees. I also think a draft of single women would be appropriate.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,727 Posts
CountryGun said:
Phil1979 said:

I personally wish we would reinstate the draft. Some of the finest soldiers I ever served with were draftees. I also think a draft of single women would be appropriate.
If I had teenage daughters, they would only be drafted over my dead body.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i look at it like this women allready have lower standards than men for non combat jobs, if they were able (and the vast majority isnt) to keep up physically then give them a shot, heres a little known fact when on large fields training exercises lasting a month or longer gues who gets to go to the rear for showers an re-fit every 3 or 4 days? ill give you a hint its not the male soldiers, and definitley not the Infantry soldiers

1 - 20 of 52 Posts