Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
707 Posts
Scary situation.

An inexpensive dbl shotty would've been an easy 'help'.

·
Registered
7,553 Posts
Funny thing, I always smell smoke when something like this happens. Or see a naked lady in my front yard.

Some things get a priority siren.

·
Banned
1,639 Posts
I live in Williamson County. This is the same sheriff who wasted time and money to fight me in court. This is the the same sheriff who doesn't think people who attend the tennessee handgun carry permit course are qualified enough to carry a gun. This is the same sheriff who, last year, spoke to the county commission and was for a prohibition of handgun carry in parks. He is republican and anti-gun.

Audio I took from the guns in parks meeting last year.

This is audio from the same meeting, a commisioner says guns shouldn't be around kids. I wonder if Mary Mills would have allowed the mother to defend herself from the attacker with her eight year old daughter present...

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
I read a story in AJC earlier this week of a police officer's home that was invaded in Fayette. Got his gun, some televisions, and a computer I think. Point is that the criminal underclass knows no bounds. They're encouraged by our ineffective system and lenient sentences. City PD is usually stretched thin to the breaking point as a consequence. For most of us, that means being able to fend for ourselves for the first fifteen or twenty minutes after a call for service has been placed.

I don't just keep a firearm nearby when I'm at home. I keep it right on my waist. Many stories over the past five years, from within and outside of the metro area, have demonstrated why such a stance is prudent.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
moga said:
I don't just keep a firearm nearby when I'm at home. I keep it right on my waist. Many stories over the past five years, from within and outside of the metro area, have demonstrated why such a stance is prudent.
:righton: Yup - or in my pocket. Later in the evening when I am sitting in my chair my 1911 is sitting right next to me....if someone kicked in my front or back door there is no way I would have time to get to my bedroom to retrieve a weapon so I keep one within arm's reach at all times. My wife used to think it was silly now she is just used to it. If we have people over at the house I keep something on me a concealed so they won't be uncomfortable (unless it's a friend that I know carries too)....ok hijack over.

I'm glad this lady is alive to tell her story....scary situation. My wife bought me a gift certificate for Tom Lowe for Christmas and agreed to come along and get some shotgun lessons.....after that I am going to get a 20 ga HD shotgun and hopefully if/when I am gone she will have the option of barricading herself in the bedroom w/ it....I swear someday I'm going to get her more comfortable shooting a pistol.....baby steps....

·
Registered
156 Posts
One of my neighbors has an adult son who has emotional issues. He was having a bad day a couple of years ago while off his meds and started popping-off live rounds inside the house. She ran to my house and called 911. Took 35 minutes for the police to arrive.

·
I watch the watchers
12,883 Posts
I don't see how anyone can complain, I mean "the system worked," didn't it? Dude got arrested, right? :?

I usually don't carry on me while at home, but hmmmm... there a shotgun, an FAL and a PDW just an arms reach away at the moment.

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
moga said:
:righton:

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
rainmaker said:
One of my neighbors has an adult son who has emotional issues. He was having a bad day a couple of years ago while off his meds and started popping-off live rounds inside the house. She ran to my house and called 911. Took 35 minutes for the police to arrive.
Maybe they were waiting for him to run out of ammo??? :screwy:

·
Registered
260 Posts
stuk in irak said:
Single mom at home with 8 year old daughter, no weapon. Thankfully the outcome was positive, but this is a perfect example of why folks should be armed....with something other than a vacuum cleaner....

http://www.newschannel5.com/story/13833729/woman-waits-35-minutes-on-911-while-intruder-breaks-in
She's fortunate the man responded as he did to the vacuum cleaner.

Another big issue here is the time it took connecting to Williamson County 911.

The same thing has happened to me. In areas where you are close to two or three different jurisdictions you might get a county agency when you need city when you call using your cell phone. I got into the habit of immediately saying, "I need ABC County PD," when 911 answers. The transfer is immediate.

It took 21 of the 35 minutes just to get to the right agency. Williamson responded within 14 minutes of receiving the call. Yes, that is a long, long, long time when someone is breaking in, but had Williamson received the call sooner, they would have apprehended him sooner.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts