Woman shot herself in the foot - Hall County

Discussion in 'Georgia In the News' started by AV8R, Jan 18, 2011.

1. AV8R

AV8R Banned

2. niadhf

niadhf New Member

Don't Know about the Fife part :lol:
    BUT sounds like a case of not keeping the bouger hook off the bang switch!

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

people who are not trained (recently-- let's say in the last 15-20 years) in firearms safety tend to put their finger on the trigger all the time, anytime the gun is in their hands.
    Along with muzzle discipline / sweeping the firing line / painting people, putting the finger on the trigger way too soon is so common it may be something the majority of people do.

(Not the majority of GPDO chatters... we're hardcore gun nuts. I'm talking about the majority of all gun owners, most of whom are casual gun owners who don't get training, don't practice much, don't really read gun magazines or online articles).

4. Fallschirmjäger

Fallschirmjäger I watch the watchers

People do dumb stuff when they're not properly trained nor paying attention.
    The day all the ice melted off the roads (well, mostly) I was riding behind this woman who kept her left foot on the brake. When we both pulled up to a stoplight, I could smell her brakes cooking. I guess 10 miles at highway speeds, can do that.

5. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

This is my bet too... But at LEAST she had the weapon pointed down and didn't kill herself or anyone else. Hopefully she learns well from it.

6. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Fixed it for you.

7. William

William Member

8. DogLeg

DogLeg New Member

This is true, my father-in-law retired as a LEO 15 years ago. I often find him breaking one of Cooper's gun safety rules and have to point it out. People who are experienced with firearms still need ongoing training..IMO.

9. William

William Member

10. blackhemi

blackhemi New Member

I see it all the time, from noobs to experienced, finger on the trigger. I always say something to. Even at the range, Ill mention something when people dont remove finger from trigger guard. Not just for their safety, but for everyone around. Nobody wants to have a AD/ND. Even worse if someone gets hurt.

This lady is lucky that its just the foot. What if's and could of's are bad when it comes to guns and accidental discharges.

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'm not sure when Col. Jeff Cooper came up with his famous "four rules" but I can assure you younger folks that they were not commonly known or followed in the 1970s and 1980s. These "four rules" were inside information, only for hardcore gun guys and professional law enforcement trainer-types. The average cop on the street didn't get taught about it, and the average gun-owning American didn't practice it, and you certainly didn't see the "finger out of the trigger guard" rule on TV or the movies.

Now, today, you DO see most cops following trigger discipline, and you DO see action characters (good guys-- cops or private detective types) practicing safe gun handling on TV and movies. Not all the time, but a lot of the time. It used to be never-- none of the time. So we're gaining ground. But people who learned "gun safety" back in the 1960s or 1970s might not realize that today's expectations for safety are higher.

12. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

Don't make me google this... what's wrong with you man?!?

13. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

From http://www.frfrogspad.com/safety.htm

I wish I could find a good Four Rules metal sign, but I can't seem to no matter how much I search.

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 10:13

Ever watch Cops? There fingers were almost always on the trigger.

15. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

16. blackhemi

blackhemi New Member

those are the cops that scare me!

17. ntech

ntech Member

At least they didn't say the gun "went off."

18. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

TY. This has nothing to do with hours of training or door breaching lol. This is about a woman who wasn't taught how to handle a firearm. This group of people consist of families who never owned guns, has some sort of trauma such as robbery or rape or something that makes them feel compelled to go purchase a firearm. With that purchase she doesn't sit down and read a simple article: How to respect a firearm

I grew up with BB guns that ended up evolving into me gettin gmy first 410 single shot breakaction New England Firearm at the age 10. I was taught to respect the weapon because it doesn't respect anyone. To treat it as its always loaded, and to NEVER place my finger on the trigger UNTIL im ready to pull that trigger. I was even made fun of one night at Bullseye by some friends because I held the firearm wrong.. They held/carried it like they were ready to pull the trigger, I on the other hand laid my finger down the side of the trigger guard or just wrap my hand completely around the grips. This woman is why they won't be laughing any more lol. I'm glad she is ok, but before anyone ever takes ownership of a firearm of any type, they should be taught the right way and the wrong way to handle that firearm. Under my fathers roof.. there was only one way, disrespect his way and you wouldn't ever touch your firearm ever again and if you did it had a trigger lock on it and what good will that do when you wanna go rabbit hunting..

19. ET.

ET. Active Member

It does sound like the lady who shot herself in the OP had her finger on the trigger as she fell. There is also a possibility that she fumbled the gun on the way down. The normal response is to try to catch it. The finger slides into the trigger guard & the gun goes bang. It takes training to throw up your hands instead of grabbing for a falling gun. Modern semi handguns can take a tumble without firing. They can't take their trigger being pulled when you try to catch it. I've seen seasoned gun owners try to catch their $800+ handgun because they don't want it dinged. Every handgun I own is drop safe. I've dropped a gun once at the range and immediately threw my hands up over my head. The guy next to me looked at me like I had lost my mind until I explained it to him. Yes, there are guns that will fire when dropped. You have to know your guns. I don't/won't try to catch any of mine because that is the best way to make them fire as they fall.