Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The married couple were leaving a local popular, busy Marietta restaurant after attending a birthday dinner. They were ambushed in the parking lot by an armed thug, who killed the husband and wounded the wife, all over some cheap costume jewelry. I feel so bad for this widow and how her life has been ripped apart.

Does anyone think that compliance will work with a savage like this? What would you do? Keep calm and carry on, friends.

http://www.ajc.com/news/crime--law/...over-costume-necklace/A2l7GfkBxqCXlydHqCsj4M/

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
What a terrible story.

The story doesn't mention if the couple was armed but even if they were I don't think it would have made any difference here. The shooter came out shooting. The only thing that might have prevented this would have been much better awareness on their part. There are very few places where you can function safely in condition white. Out and about isn't one of them.

Hopefully they'll catch the low life.

·
Deplorable bitter clinger.
5,694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Folks cannot be in condition white, out in public. You just can't afford to be that complacent. Sad but true.

·
69,784 Posts
The story doesn't mention if the couple was armed but even if they were I don't think it would have made any difference here. The shooter came out shooting. The only thing that might have prevented this would have been much better awareness on their part. There are very few places where you can function safely in condition white. Out and about isn't one of them.

Hopefully they'll catch the low life.
Paying attention to your surroundings is a big, big, deal. She says he "came out of nowhere," but we know that there is no such thing. He came from somewhere, and he likely telegraphed his attentions ahead of time. She just did not notice.

·
American
3,289 Posts
Even trained and aware professionals fall prey to snipers. It is possible to be taken unawares - even when trained and on alert.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Even trained and aware professionals fall prey to snipers. It is possible to be taken unawares - even when trained and on alert.
This.

Unless you have some magical powers, it's quite possible for a perp to hide around a corner, behind a car, or it could be dark and the perp is in dark clothes (this occurred around 10 PM). Point being, even if you are quite "aware" of your surroundings, you simply CANNOT plan for every single variable. For those not familiar with this restaurant, it is a fairly hilly lot with LOTS of coverage available. Hell, look at this picture of the scene. I can see AT LEAST 10 places I could hide and catch almost ANYONE off guard. To simply say, "they should have seen him" isn't a good argument.

What would I have done? I can't say since I wasn't in that situation. I would hope that I would be fast enough to draw on him, but if he was hell bent and determined to shoot me, then probably not too much I would have been able to do to stop it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Depending on where he was shot, a vest might have been his only defense to something that sudden and brutal.

Az

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Depending on where he was shot, a vest might have been his only defense to something that sudden and brutal.

Az
I can't remember if I mentioned it or not (in an earlier thread), but it seems like it's getting to the point that wearing a vest is a pretty good idea. I really don't want to believe that things have gotten *so* bad that this is a becoming a reality. BUT..I would analogize that a vest is to a fire alarm as a gun is to a fire extinguisher. I am not unfamiliar with wearing body armor for long periods of time (even with the ballistic plates) and I know it would suck to wear it...but it might be a smart move. Not only that, but unlike my gun, I don't think there are any restrictions on *where* I wear a vest.

Jesus. Just talking about this possibility makes me sick to the stomach. I live in the US, not the West Bank. :|

·
69,784 Posts
Yeah, well, I am guessing this guy was not an Army Ranger Sniper. :lol:

This.

Unless you have some magical powers, it's quite possible for a perp to hide around a corner, behind a car, or it could be dark and the perp is in dark clothes (this occurred around 10 PM).
Sure, anything is possible. I am just pointing out that what is possible is not what is most likely. Odds are she was not paying attention. Most people aren't.

·
69,784 Posts
Had he hidden behind a specific object, and pounced out suddenly with not time to react, AND she had been paying attention, she would not have said that he came out of nowhere. She would have said, "He surprised us by leaping out from behind that wall right there and started shooting."

The words she used to describe what happened betray her lack alertness.

·
69,784 Posts
I can see AT LEAST 10 places I could hide and catch almost ANYONE off guard.
I bet if you did so, and leapt out in front of me and a companion, shot my companion and me, I would be able to say from where you came out of hiding.

To simply say, "they should have seen him" isn't a good argument.
Sure it is, once you combine it with observations about how she described what happened. She was in condition white.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I bet if you did so, and leapt out in front of me and a companion, shot my companion and me, I would be able to say from where you came out of hiding.

Sure it is, once you combine it with observations about how she described what happened. She was in condition white.
I'm not going to argue with you; I stand behind what I said. Also, I *always* take what the press reports with a grain of salt.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
I follow a reporter and she posted this the day after.

Victims' relative says gunman robbed couple. Checked w/ Cobb Co Police. They say Cynthia and Anthony Welch were not robbed, only shot.
On my phone I can't copy the reporters name. It is from Rikki Klaus from WSB. I just asked her if the police still feel this way.

·
69,784 Posts
More to the story than a random crime? I thought the story sounded a little, well, odd . . .

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts
Well the reporter has tweeted since my question but did not respond to my inquiry. She responds to folks all the time. So take that for what you will.

·
Under Scrutiny
19,386 Posts

·
Registered
14,956 Posts
I've yet to hear stories of any snipers bounding out of their hides, running up to the target and shooting them point blank.

We're talking about a low life here, not a highly trained snake eater.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts