Woman on Ch. 2 says she's getting a GFL!

Discussion in 'In the News' started by GAGunOwner, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

2. MsBeck

MsBeck New Member

My concerns

This very incident has prompted me to join...
    Forgive me if this has been addressed in another post...
    I have a conceal carry permit, but am concerned about carrying while on the Silver Comet Trail due to the restrictions of parks or historic locations. I understand Silver Comet Trail is owned by GDOT. Can I leagally carry here?

3. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

Well since it is the property of GaDOT, it is basically the same as a street or sidewalk.

The only state law that might cover it is WMA which part of the trail does cross through (the trail right-of-way should cover you but I am not positive).

After that, state pre-emption prevents the locals from passing/enforcing a local ordinance prohibiting carry on their part of the trail.

4. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

GS1, Where is the WMA? WMAs allow hunting, so I find this to be a rather odd thing to have the Silver Comet Trail run through.

By the way, MsBeck, I extend a welcome to this site from someone who posts here frequently (too frequently, according to some :wink: ). Many women have suddenly become very safety conscious because of what occurred on the trail. I just wish it did not take such tragedy to motivate people to look out for themselves.

The police cannot be everywhere (nor would we really like to live in a world where the police officers were everywhere).

I am not aware of a park or historic site actually on the trail itself. Keep in mind that the park restriction applies only to State Parks. With that having been said, some localities have passed unlawful ordinances restricting carry in county and city parks. Even though such ordinances are preempted by state law, every one of them we have asked asserts that they will enforce them.

My advice would be to carry discretely until we can get some of these off limits place restrictions repealed.

An articulate woman who carries for self protection and is concerned about these off limits places would probably be more convincing than a big male to a State Senator or State Representative who is on the fence about repealing such restrictions. :wink:

5. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

ICP said it in the other topic

6. pro2am

pro2am New Member

Yes, I believe it's near the Coots Lake trailhead and then heading toward Rockmart.

7. Mafuta54

Mafuta54 Active Member

The Silver Comet Trail article

I thought this was interesting, especially after the reactions to "MP's" posts over on the trail forum.

8. MsBeck

MsBeck New Member

Thank you for your help!
    This site is excellent! I have learned a lot (and have more questions than ever!)
    Thanks for the welcome.

9. Broadside Bob

Broadside Bob New Member

Who owns and operates the rest stops along the trail?

Are the buildings and restrooms (I think they're only in the less remote sections) "publicly owned and operated?" If so, wouldn't they essentially be the same as a highway rest stop where carry inside the building(s) is prohibited?

10. kkennett

kkennett New Member

Broadside Bob, you are correct. The restroom facilities, just like at a rest area or a county park, would be a 'public gathering' as defined by code section 16.11.127. Along the trail is fine, but not in the restrooms. Check out this thread: http://www.georgiapacking.org/forum/vie ... c&start=20 You don't want to pull up a tree and end up a sex offender :shock:

11. Sharky

Sharky New Member

I am glad to see more female interaction here. We definitely need everybodys support! Welcome to MsBeck and bring your friends! Hopefully your voices will help as mentioned above regarding the current laws.