Woman Attacked While Stopped At Traffic Light

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sharky, Sep 19, 2006.

1. Sharky

Sharky New Member

Woman Attacked While Stopped At Traffic Light

POSTED: 6:22 am EDT September 19, 2006
    UPDATED: 6:31 am EDT September 19, 2006

ATLANTA -- A woman is attacked at a midtown traffic light – while still inside her mini-van. The person hurled a rock through her window and reached into the vehicle and stole two bags! The woman was injured.

The robbery happened at the intersection of Peachtree Street and Rhodes Center in midtown Atlanta.

Imagine stopping at a stop light and all of a sudden, out of nowhere, someone throws a rock through your car window. That’s exactly what happened tonight to Peggy Mayfield.

Mayfield is still trying to catch her breath – moments after she was the victim of an unexpected and violent attack while still inside her mini-van.

She says she had just left her job as Director of Peachtree Christian’s Childtown, and pulled up to the intersection of Rhodes and Peachtree Street when someone ran up and hurled a rock through the passenger side window.

“I heard a loud sound and he was right there and he threw something through the window and when he did that, of course, I stopped right then and he grabbed two bags that were in the front seat of the car,†recalls Mayfield.

The rock was thrown with such force it actually shattered both the passenger and driver’s side windows.

People in the cars behind her saw the man run away.

“We were at the intersection and we saw one male come running around the building and up under the overpass,†says witness Johnathan Hicks.

Atlanta Police on motorcycle and on foot searched the area but couldn’t find the bandit.

Peggy Mayfield suffered a minor cut on her foot and once she caught her breath, says she is actually fortunate.

“Well, I’ve got a little cut right here but other than that, God has truly taken care of me tonight I can tell you. And it’s all going to work out,†says Mayfield.

A local businessman who works right across the street says he witnessed the exact same type of crime happen at the same intersection last year.

2. Sharky

Sharky New Member

This exact thing happened to my sister in Miami. Only with a JD bottle. She was cut up pretty bad, not to mention scared as hell to stop at any light after that!

Guess these kinds of things only show us why we should always be prepared. Practicing at the range is one thing, but it would be nice to have more availability to practice in quarters such as these. Most of this type of training is expensive and usually requires travel.

3. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

Even if you can't shoot, you can practice drawing and covering the car window(s) in your garage.

Covering the passenger window is pretty straight forward.

To cover the driver's window, lean way to the right and use a fully extended two handed grip.

4. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Or keep a gun in the left door panel and shove it up there nose. :shock:

5. mzmtg

mzmtg Active Member

I'm extremely right handed. It would be too easy for them to get the gun away from me in that position.

6. ber950

ber950 Active Member

Ambi

I'm regulary practice shooting with both hands. There is no promise you will be able to use your stong hand or both hands when shooting.

7. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

practice

If you have access to old junker cars, or even a vehicle that is in good running shape but is old and worn enough that an accidental bullet hole in the door wouldn't be a major tragedy, you can practice shooting out of your vehicle. I have done this with live ammo. I found it to be very difficult to do quickly while keeping respectable accuracy. But then, I was trying to keep enough accuracy to hit an opponent who was firing at me from inside his vehicle several yards away. I imagine that shooting a carjacker at near-contact distance would not require much accuracy.

Still, it takes some time to draw a gun when you're seated in your vehicle with the safety belt on, and not expecting any trouble (you don't see a suspicious person approaching you with a rock or other weapon in hand).
    I think I could accelerate away from the offender, perhaps dragging him along a short distance (until I could make a close pass by a telephone pole), faster than I could draw and shoot him.