Wolf Ammo

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Adam5, May 19, 2007.

1. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

Everyone tells me that Wolf ammo is dirty, don't use Wolf, etc, etc. Last night I ran 70 rounds of it through my .223 Saiga. Iknow, I fired Russian ammo through an AK. It was cleaner than the Ultramax reloads or the Remington that I ran through it last week. 2 passes with my bore snake and th ebore was spotless. It also seemed to be hotter than the other loads. They were all 55gr FMJ, but the Wolf felt hotter. I have 300 more rounds of it that came in yesterday and I'm likely to order more.

2. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

I've heard that it was dirty, but I don't really hear to not use it. It seems like if you just clean after each range trip, it wouldn't be a problem. It's just a little bit cheaper than WWB for .40, but you'll probably end up spending the difference in cleaning. $20 per 100 for WWB right now. Not sure about the price on Wolf right now.

3. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

I use Wolf ammo in my AK and AR. Yeah, it's dirty but it's cheap. The laquer from the cases gets hot and some of that crap can melt... hence the dirtyness.

I don't shoot it in my pistols though. I usually get CCI Blazer or American Eagle or whatever the cheapest flavor of the month is. They're all pretty dirty to tell the truth.

Wolf has a pretty bad name on the internets but I've put 1000's of rounds of it through my AR and it's never jammed. And I don't clean it very often.

4. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I'll run it through my reformed commie rifles, but I won't run it in anything else.

5. CoolHand

CoolHand Active Member

The steel cases will chew up the ejection port on an AR. Other than that it works fine.

6. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

I use wolf as my .45 acp practice ammo.

Never noticed it was any more dirty than any other brand.

Does smell kinda funny after you fire it though. Very noticeable to me.

7. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

There is nothing wrong with Wolf. I've shot it in several calibers.

I would not ever depend on it for self-defense except in an AK or SKS (this means not in your pistol or AR).

I've noticed that on longer range sessions, when shooting it in pistols, it starts to make guns that don't malfunction, malfunction.

Just to be clear it shoots good at first but as more rounds are fired without cleaning (the gun gets dirty) it causes problems. I've seen it cause problems in two calibers of Kel-Tecs. One of them is mine which otherwise has been perfect. I've also seen it jam a Glock so badly that it had to be dissasembeled.

For range time, blast away with that cheap Wolf!!!

8. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

I agree.

9. jp233

jp233 hu huh, you said "Member"

I dont think Wolf can be any dirtier than CCI Blazer Brass. all the blazer i've ever shot has left the worst residue.

yeah the steel cased stuff may be tougher on certain guns. i still shoot the hell out of it from mausers, mosins, SKS, and AK all day long. most all 7.62x39 is steel cased stuff, with the lacquer.

i even put a hundo of steel cased wolf stuff through my USGI M1 carbine, no problem.

10. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

adam5 you may want to look at this stuff(1000rds - .223 Barnaul Brown Bear 62gr. Soft Point Ammo $178.95
    1000rds - .223 Barnaul Brown Bear 62gr. Soft Point ) http://ammunitiontogo.com/catalog/index.php they say it's cleaner

11. rajl

rajl New Member

I've always found Wolf to be reliable, but dirty. Not only does it stink to high heaven because of all the ammonia they put in their powder, but it leaves the worst residue of any ammo I've ever used. Also, the steal cases are a bit rough on my semi-autos. The AK loves it, but everything else seems to only mildly like it.

I've found it cheaper to just buy blazer brass at the local wally-world than to use wolf in my pistol calibers. Rifle calibers though, wolf is still a steal of a deal and seems to work fine.

12. Blackadder

Blackadder New Member

When ammo started going up last month, I ran across some Wolf .45ACP at $10.99 for a box of 50. Pretty good deal, so I bought 6 boxes.

I shot 4 boxes through my Glock 36 on Saturday and my gun was absolutely filthy. I took my Lasermax unit out because powder residue would coat the lens after every shot and I had to wipe down my sights after every 3 or 4 magazines.

I figured I might as well shoot the other 100 rounds and do a full tear-down and detail cleaning. If you decide to shoot Wolf ammo, figure on spending at least an hour and a can of break-free to get your gun clean.

13. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

The only thing that I'm running it through is my Saiga. I figure that Ak + Russian ammo = cheap fun. :righton:

14. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

(VERY stupid question and I don't have any intention to try it)

the ammo AW762x39PolyHP Wolf 7.62x39 122grn HP Poly Performance. Can it be used effectively to hunt deers with your AK-47? What about hitting a bear or a moose ( I know, I don't think there is much moose in Georgia, but I am from Canada and we have tons of moose)?

Thank you

15. rajl

rajl New Member

7.62x39 is ballisticly equivalent to .30-30 WCF. So yes, it'll work just fine against deer. No, I would not moose or bear hunt with it.

That said, don't use the 122 gr Hollow Points from Wolf. They're not really true hollow points. Rather use one of the Wolf Soft-points (exposed lead nose/ copper jacket) if you go deer hunting. SKS's (which use 7.62x39) are known as the poor man's deer rifle for a reason.

16. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

If you want a decent, cheap milsurp rifle to use for deer hunting, I suggest either an 8mm mauser (Turkish, German, or Yugoslavian) with softpoints, or a Mosin-Nagant (7.62x54r) with softpoint.

They are sturdy, cheap, dependable rifles that are fairly accurate and will last a lifetime.

Also - if you DO decide to hunt with an SKS...I remind you that *most* local hunting regs limit you to a 5 round magazine, and the SKS comes with a 10 round one. You must replace it or block it off to only 5 rounds.

17. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

In Georgia?

18. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

Based on what info??????

A big NO; The only regulation for shot capacity in Ga is for a shot gun (3). You can have a 100 rnd magizine in your rifle (why?) if you want and it is still very legall to hunt in Ga. Ga does not have LOCAL REGS, it is governed by the state DNR. The only real local regs are that some counties are what is called trophy counties.

Take you SKS and enjoy the next deer season.
    :lol: :lol: :lol:

19. asbrand

asbrand Active Member

Well, last time I hunted was when I lived in Tennessee. And they did have the 5 round limit there. 8)

And, it is still valid info for lot of places outside of Georgia.

However, I do stand corrected. :oops:

20. tj2000

tj2000 New Member

I didn't mean it that way.......

Asbrand,
    I'm sorry if you took my answer that way. I guess it did read harsh. Ga is different when it comes to the amount of rounds in your rifle. Sorry for the harshness of my reply.
    :lol: :lol: :oops: :oops: