Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have only been to the Charlie Elliot range but wanted to try some other ones that might not be as crowded. Any good suggestions... thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,593 Posts
If you want to avoid the crowds go during the week. All the ones I have been to on the weekend were busy.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,624 Posts
Wilson Shoals, north of Gainesville, is a decent range. As was mentioned, go during the week and especially just before and during hunting season. A lot of fuds are there sighting in for the season and they seem to be the ones that have no clue what RANGE COLD means.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,868 Posts
There are others, but IMHO you won't find another WMA range around here that is quite as nice as Charlie Elliott.

Try Creekside as a good, less crowded and safe alternative if you don't mind paying a reasonable price to shoot all day.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
I second that about Charlie Elliot. I love going there. And as a city boy, I just love, LOVE that drive from 20 down to the range. Sometimes I'll even cross over, go through Social Circle and visit my parents in Grayson before I go home to ATL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Atlanta777 said:
I have yet to bring a shotgun to a wma range, anyone know the rules on that?
http://www.georgiawildlife.com/node/921
Only firearms utilizing single projectile ammunition may be fired on DNR managed firing ranges. However, shotguns utilizing multiple projectile ammunition may be fired at stationary targets for purposes of assessing shotgun patterns and in areas specifically designated by DNR for shotguns.
I don't know how the DNR has set up the range where you're at, but at John's Mountain, there's red netting stapled across two 6x6 wood posts. You can always tell when some jerk has taken his 12 gauge to the range with a hundred pack of birdshot, because the net is completely torn apart to the point that no one else can use it. As a courtesy, please don't assess your shotgun pattern with a crap-load of birdshot.

Atlanta777 said:
I have only been to the Charlie Elliot range but wanted to try some other ones that might not be as crowded. Any good suggestions... thanks in advance.
I have never been to a WMA range that was not crowded on a weekend. The best time to go is during the week. I was at John's Mountain WMA range this past Monday, and from the time me and my buddy got there to the time we left, we were the only ones shooting.

From my experience, the crazies come out on the weekends. I've seen a LOT of unsafe activity on the weekends, which is why i avoid them at all costs. I was at John's Mountain on a Saturday a long while ago, and an older gentleman wearing hunting camouflage started walking down the far left side of the range to set up his targets... while everyone was shooting. Another time I was there on a weekend, i had an issue with a middle aged.... jackwagon (had to think of a non-profane description).... decided it would be a fun idea to shoot my targets with his mosin nagant. After a couple incidents like that, I won't go there on a weekend unless I have no other option.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Atlanta777 said:
I have yet to bring a shotgun to a wma range, anyone know the rules on that?
I take my Mossy 12 gauge to Charlie Elliot all the time, and believe me, I fire as quickly as I can too! I blow that target to smitherines! haha! Slugs, birdshot, buckshot... pretty much anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
897 Posts
Wilson Shoals, north of Gainesville, is a decent range
nice range and almost always has a range officer. last time i was up there they had just done some work to improve the place as well
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
IrishTiger said:
I take my Mossy 12 gauge to Charlie Elliot all the time, and believe me, I fire as quickly as I can too! I blow that target to smitherines! haha! Slugs, birdshot, buckshot... pretty much anything!
Only firearms utilizing single projectile ammunition may be fired on DNR managed firing ranges. However, shotguns utilizing multiple projectile ammunition may be fired at stationary targets for purposes of assessing shotgun patterns and in areas specifically designated by DNR for shotguns.
Please tell me you're not one of those people who ruins the target holder for everyone else who has to use it after you.....

Quest50 said:
I don't know how the DNR has set up the range where you're at, but at John's Mountain, there's red netting stapled across two 6x6 wood posts. You can always tell when some jerk has taken his 12 gauge to the range with a hundred pack of birdshot, because the net is completely torn apart to the point that no one else can use it. As a courtesy, please don't assess your shotgun pattern with a crap-load of birdshot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I thought they prohibit people from shooting rapid at Charlie Elliot. Isnt anyone overseeing that place during the week?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,823 Posts
FWIW the RO at charles elliot told me it was fine to bumpfire as long the rounds hit the berm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,048 Posts
Closest WMA range to me is Big Lazer. I like it because it's less than 15mins from my front door. Only problem is having to have your head on a swivel. Seems every time I go I get muzzle swept or some other safety hazard.

I've seen more than my fair share of Fudd's there. I could go on for days with stories of the stuff I've seen...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I made it out to Johns Mountain and enjoyed it. Wish it was a little bigger but I went during the week and only a few other people came and everyone was cool.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,894 Posts
Atlanta777 said:
I made it out to Johns Mountain and enjoyed it. Wish it was a little bigger but I went during the week and only a few other people came and everyone was cool.
=) That place is awesome during the week.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
943 Posts
The down side to DNR ranges is there is no safety officers,and you sometimes come across folks who don't handle guns in the manner that a weapon should be handled. Like obeying the Four Rules of gun safety. I have come across this at John's Mountain. Other than that, DNR ranges are a great place to shoot rifles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,535 Posts
Quest50 said:
Please tell me you're not one of those people who ruins the target holder for everyone else who has to use it after you.....
Charlie Elliot doesn't have their own targets. I have my own I bring and set up. And yes, sometimes I do ruin it. :lol: Usually though, since they are made of metal, I don't ruin them. I learned not to make them out of wood or PVC. :shattered:

Atlanta777 said:
I thought they prohibit people from shooting rapid at Charlie Elliot. Isnt anyone overseeing that place during the week?
No not at all. I was blasting the shotgun off as fast as I could with the "range officer" there last time I was there, and have done so on many occasions.

I'm not just shooting to shoot though, and just wildly shooting downrange. I'm actually aiming at a target, and practicing keeping all my shots in the same area, and on target. It's good practice to do rapid fire. I still obey all safety rules, and heck most of the time I'm the only one there anyways. Most indoor ranges do not let you do rapid fire. I think it's excellent to work on, and I do so with the shotty and my handguns. :righton:
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top