WMA Range Rules For 6/16 Shoot

Discussion in 'GENERAL EVENTS' started by USMC - Retired, Jun 12, 2007.

1. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

Patriots, Please read the following Range Rules sometime before the shoot to be sure there is no confusion in our group that would get us thrown out or fined. Thanks!

WMA Shooting Range Rules

Range use is allowed only in accordance with range hours and dates posted at the range.

All children (aged 16 years or younger) must be accompanied by an adult shooter of 18 years or older.

Only firearms utilizing single projectile ammunition may be fired. However, shotguns utilizing multiple projectile ammunition may be fired at stationary targets for purposes of assessing shotgun patterns.

Firearms using centerfire cartridges .50 caliber or larger are prohibited.

Any weapon prohibited by GA Code Section 16-11-122 (i.e., sawed-off shotguns or rifles, machine guns, submachine guns and silenced weapons) is prohibited.

Fully automatic weapons and any weapon that fires more than once with one trigger pull and release are prohibited.

Tracer or any ammunition considered to be incendiary or explosive is prohibited.

All persons must wear adequate hearing and eye protection.

All shooters must fire from or by the shooting benches. ABSOLUTELY NO SHOOTING IS ALLOWED OUTSIDE OF THIS AREA.

No smoking is permitted on or near the firing line at any time.

No alcoholic beverages may be possessed at the firing range.

No person under the influence of alcohol or drugs is permitted on the firing range.

Non-shooters must remain at least six feet behind the firing line whenever any shooter is at the firing line.

All objects, trash, targets and spent cartridge hulls must be removed by firing range users before leaving the range.

All firearms must be unloaded and action open, except when it is at firing line and is being used for firing.

In the event of a firearm malfunction, the shooter must keep their firearm pointed down range, unload as soon as possible, and advise all persons at the firing line of the malfunction.

In the event of a malfunction of another shooters firearm, all firearms must be unloaded with actions open for the duration of the malfunction.

All firearms on the firing line must be grounded, unloaded, with actions open whenever anyone is down range.

Muzzles of all firearms must be pointed downrange when on the firing line.

The muzzle of every firearm when in the firing position must be in front of the front edge of the bench upon which it rests.

Shooters shall fire only at the target directly down range of that persons position.

No shooting at flying or thrown objects is allowed.

Targets must be constructed of paper, cardboard, or similar material that will not shatter or cause bullet ricochet.

Ground level targets must be positioned so that a bullet will not strike flat ground before the backstop; all targets must be located so that a bullet will strike between the base and halfway up the backstop.

Shooters must be at the firing line before capping or priming muzzle loading firearms.

All loading of muzzleloaders must be by single charge dispenser.

In the event of a hangfire, muzzleloading firearms must be kept pointed downrange until the problem is corrected.

Containers of black powder or Pyrodex must remain closed except when needed for loading.

Muzzleloading firearms must be loaded only with black powder or Pyrodex unless the muzzleloader is specifically designed for smokeless powder. Use of smokeless powder in a muzzleloader not specifically designed for use of smokeless powder may cause serious injury to the shooter, to bystanders and to the firearm.

2. Adam5

Adam5 Atlanta Overwatch

This is the one that we will have to be careful of. There will be alot of people trying others people's guns that they are not familiar with.

3. Sharky

Sharky New Member

All firearms must be unloaded and action open, except when it is at firing line and is being used for firing.

I am thinking this means we cant just show up to the range with our guns in our holsters loaded on our person. (as if you were normally carrying on a day to day basis)

Am I correct?

4. USMC - Retired

USMC - Retired Active Member

That would be my take on it.

5. foshizzle

foshizzle New Member

The rules say we can't.

I Will NOT be carrying like I always do. Holsters are apparently NOT allowed :( You have to have your weapon out in the open for it to be safe :?

6. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

"All firearms must be unloaded and action open, except when it is at firing line and is being used for firing."

I read that as I can have my pistol in my holster with the slide locked back and no mag.

7. EOD

EOD New Member

Just for clarification. No full auto because of a specific rule but the rest are fine as long as they are legal under the NFA.

http://www.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/pub/ocod ... /16/11/122

16-11-122 G
    *** CODE SECTION *** 12/03/01

16-11-122.

No person shall have in his possession any sawed-off shotgun,
    sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer except
    as provided in Code Section 16-11-124.

http://www.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/pub/ocod ... /16/11/124

16-11-124 G
    *** CODE SECTION *** 12/03/01

16-11-124.

This part shall not apply to:

(1) A peace officer of any duly authorized police agency of this
    state or of any political subdivision thereof, or a law
    enforcement officer of any department or agency of the United
    States who is regularly employed and paid by the United States,
    this state, or any such political subdivision, or an employee of
    the Department of Corrections of this state who is authorized in
    writing by the commissioner of corrections to transfer or possess
    such firearms while in the official performance of his duties;

(2) A member of the National Guard or of the armed forces of the
    United States to wit: the army, navy, marine corps, air force, or
    coast guard who, while serving therein, possesses such firearm in
    the line of duty;

(3) Any sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous
    weapon, or silencer which has been modified or changed to the
    extent that it is inoperative. Examples of the requisite
    modification include weapons with their barrel or barrels filled
    with lead, hand grenades filled with sand, or other nonexplosive
    materials; and

(4) Possession of a sawed-off shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine
    gun, dangerous weapon, or silencer by a person who is authorized
    to possess the same because he has registered the sawed-off
    shotgun, sawed-off rifle, machine gun, dangerous weapon, or
    silencer in accordance with the dictates of the National Firearms
    Act, 68A Stat. 725 (26 U.S.C. Sections 5841-5862).

8. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:shock: Too late anyway. Not sure when everyone will start getting back. :D If none of them ever show back up, then I'll start to worry. :lol: :censored: :banghead: :handcuffs: :jail:

9. EOD

EOD New Member

Just posted it because I also had to educate the DNR guy and I thought that others may have occasion to visit the range. :)

10. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

10-4

11. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

NFA firearms

So I took an NFA weapon to a local WMA and wanted to shoot it.
    It was not a machinegun.
    It was a silencer.
    Now the big set of "Rules" say that silencers are "prohibited by O.C.G.A. 16-11-122" and therefore prohibited on this range.
    But my silencer isn't prohibited by that Code section.
    It's specifically allowed, because it's registered with the FEDS and I paid for that special old stamp.

The range officer showed me a letter, a memo, from the State to all WMA managers and range officers.

It made their policy perfectly clear-- even legally registered NFA weapons are forbiden on WMA ranges. Even where the weapon is no prohibited by Georgia law, they will prohibit it.

P.S. The letter also clarified that in order to shoot a shotgun at a WMA range, you MUST use either slugs or be "pattern testing" a shotgun.
    The have issued some regulations to say that pattern testing requires one large clean sheet of paper per shot-- you can't just blast away at a normal target or into the dirt backstop to check your pattern.

12. jgullock

jgullock Active Member

13. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Sounds like the WMA ranges are run by jim zumbo.