Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The wife and I were at the Mall of Georgia Saturday evening and witnessed a young couple (with a young child) in an argument. The husband seemed to be doing all of the yelling and punched the wife in the face a couple of times as she attempted to shield the child. My wife immediately ran to intervene so, I figured this was the day I'd be going to jail for trying to protect her, but she stayed far enough back and called 911. The part that surprised me, other than my wife not getting in-between this couple, was that 911 simply connected her to Mall Security after she told 911 she was witnessing an ongoing assault in the mall's parking lot.

After all that, she gave the details to the Mall Security agent that answered and we then waited with the wife (along with other witnesses) for a security officer to arrive (which was about 10 minutes). He took her statement and then walked off. The husband/assailant had already departed with the wife's car. No statements were taken from any witnesses. Gwinnett PD was clearly available as I saw the same security officer walking with a uniformed Gwinnett PD patrol officer minutes later in the mall.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
They didn't take your wife's statement since she called? No medical help for the victim's face?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They didn't take your wife's statement since she called? No medical help for the victim's face?
Nope. Nothing. I don’t know if the wife refused to press charges and declined and medical or what.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Unfortunately, many do.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
I was at a Mall outside of Georgia recently and witnessed a fairly brutal assault, but it was two family members, I was a little bit shocked to see it, but it didn't really bother me that much, and I didn't even call the cops or Alert security to it, and I'm not sure anybody else did either, at least the mother of the two family members was trying to break them up

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,519 Posts
Warrant

The misdemeanor crime (family violence) wasn't witnessed by the cops, so if the victim refused to cooperate and tell cops what happened, they can't arrest the guy.
They certainly could do a more thorough investigation, but if the woman doesn't want her babydaddy in jail, what's the point? She's an absolutely critical witness.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Should have shot that piece of garbage. You were in fear of severe harm coming to the baby in the arms of the woman, in addition to the woman.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
The misdemeanor crime (family violence) wasn't witnessed by the cops, so if the victim refused to cooperate and tell cops what happened, they can't arrest the guy.
They certainly could do a more thorough investigation, but if the woman doesn't want her babydaddy in jail, what's the point? She's an absolutely critical witness.
That's so true these days

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Should have shot that piece of garbage. You were in fear of severe harm coming to the baby in the arms of the woman, in addition to the woman.
Until the police showed up for that and then the woman turns on RDtM and starts screaming that he murdered her child's father for no reason! Domestic issues are BAD things to step in the middle of unless it is truly a life or death situation ie unless the woman was on the ground, the guy sitting on her and beating her in the head or she's screaming for help. Then absolutely but still with the understanding that your stepping in a warm pile of stink. Anything less than that and you video and call 911 and be ready in case the fool comes at you and yours (yours should be directed out of the area ASAP of course...)

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The child was old enough to walk to the child was just behind her and the hits weren't hard enough to take her to the ground. I had decided that, if the went down, he'd be going down too. \ Shooting likely wouldn't have been necessary though, as I'm literally twice the body weight of the idiot assaulting his wife. It was close, but in this case unnecessary.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Just wondering how you could word a 911 call to get the police there instead of them just passing it to mall security...

"Yes, I just witnessed a man punch a woman in the face. I'm going to place him under citizens arrest for battery, and I am armed with a pistol in case he tries to hit me. Care to send an officer to enforce my arrest of him?"

Would that work?

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just wondering how you could word a 911 call to get the police there instead of them just passing it to mall security...
I’m perplexed how someone calling 911 to report a crime in progress can be handed off to a non law enforcement agency.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Yeah, that was really strange. Perhaps police departments only want to deal with mall security now as the middle man, you know, to keep from having to deal directly with the citizens that pay their salaries.

Tax-payers are mere peons these days it seems now.

I’m perplexed how someone calling 911 to report a crime in progress can be handed off to a non law enforcement agency.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Several years ago someone broke the window and got into my wife's car, stole several items and left a new unopened pack of cigarettes. Thinking this obviously had fingerprints all over it, we were suddenly made aware of the counties lack of concern when they didn't want them. Didn't even send a patrol car out. Gave us the insurance claim police report number over the phone. Might as well print "We don't care" on the side of their cars.

·
69,784 Posts
That's so true these days
It's actually not true and not how these things usually go. The officers will arrest if there is probable cause for the arrest. This can be based on evidence such as a bruise on the woman's face or your wife's statement to the police regarding witnessing an act of violence.

The most disturbing thing here is the 911 dispatcher response. I would follow up on this with a complaint to the police department. There is no excuse for sending the call to security guards at the mall. WTF?

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
It's actually not true and not how these things usually go. The officers will arrest if there is probable cause for the arrest. This can be based on evidence such as a bruise on the woman's face or your wife's statement to the police regarding witnessing an act of violence.

The most disturbing thing here is the 911 dispatcher response. I would follow up on this with a complaint to the police department. There is no excuse for sending the call to security guards at the mall. WTF?
I don't see it happening every day, but in my experience that's the way that I've seen it happen.

Maybe just sloppy and lazy police work? Maybe the fear of not being able to get the conviction for the arrest, or even a lawsuit? I don't pretend to know the officers reasons for not arresting.

Yeah, I'm a little bit surprised that they just told Mall security to handle it, but I'm actually not opposed to it.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
The child was old enough to walk to the child was just behind her and the hits weren't hard enough to take her to the ground. I had decided that, if the went down, he'd be going down too. \ Shooting likely wouldn't have been necessary though, as I'm literally twice the body weight of the idiot assaulting his wife. It was close, but in this case unnecessary.
Also, to further prove my point, there may not have been any bruising on the woman's face, as the OP says that the hits weren't even hard enough to knock her to the ground, which may not have been hard enough to actually cause any noticeable physical bruising on her face, and if she had dark skin, it would make it even harder for an officer to see any noticeable physical bruising on her face.

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah the couple was darker skin, so I doubt she had visible injuries, but there were about 5 or 6 witnesses. I think I will follow up with Gwinnett PD as I’m still baffled how a reported assault/battery could be handed off to mall security. I know several Gwinnett PD officers through our online Fiddleback Outpost store - one of them is even a supplier of Home-made survival kits that we sell. So I’ll follow up and get a better understanding of why this was handled this way.

·
Registered
985 Posts
This is a scary attitude. I hope you’re not really that cavalier about “shooting that piece of garbage†He might be a total POS but he’s a human being.

We can argue about the wisdom of intervening or not in these cases but a shoot first ask questions later attitude would have ended in a tragedy. Nobody needed to die here. Sometimes the vigilante may find that when a they intervene in arguments or assaults between couples in public that the two instantly join together against the common outside threat. I’m not saying you shouldn’t ever intervene when things are going bad but you definitely need to be wise about it and assess the situation with discretion - that is to say don’t start with “shooting that piece of garbage€

1 - 20 of 22 Posts