Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Try to Feed the Homeless and the Food Police Will Bleach Your BBQ

The American Royal’s World Series of Barbecue is a longstanding tradition for community members of Kansas City, Missouri. Since 1899, the event has attracted the most talented barbecue chefs from all corners of the state, who gather annually to show off their skills. With so many BBQ experts in one place, there tends to be a fair amount of leftover food once the festivities come to a close.

This year, the two groups collected over 3,000 pounds of meat and 1,200 pounds of sides, all bound for a local nonprofit organization called Hope City, where it was to be served to over 3,000 homeless citizens in need. However, the Kansas City Health Department put the kibosh on Kookers Kare’s attempts to feed the homeless before anyone was even able to enjoy the food.

The health department did not stop at simply forbidding the food from being served, they demanded that it be destroyed immediately. Those who had worked diligently to collect the food were forced to douse over 3,000 pounds of award-winning barbecue food with bleach, in order to ensure its destruction and appease the local health department. Meanwhile, 3,000 homeless individuals went without a meal that day.
https://fee.org/articles/try-to-feed-the-homeless-and-the-food-police-will-bleach-your-bbq/

Couldn't they have just put a sign up letting people know it was unchecked? Made them tell people before they consumed? Eat at your own risk? Why did they assume the people didn't know about proper food handling and storage? Why make them destroy it all?

·
Registered
846 Posts
I guess the health department would rather the homeless eat out of dumpsters because the food in the garbage was inspected and cooked to government standards.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,904 Posts
Government should start treating people more like adults than like children. We don't need government to tell us what we can eat, for crying out loud.

·
Proud GCO member.
7,960 Posts
You guys are missing one thing. Government is about control. All the stuff about safety, security, etc is just an excuse.

The bbq had to be bleached for the same reason Abraham got the bat. They needed to understand that Negan owns them and he will shut that **** down.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You guys are missing one thing. Government is about control. All the stuff about safety, security, etc is just an excuse.

The bbq had to be bleached for the same reason Abraham got the bat. They needed to understand that Negan owns them and he will shut that **** down.
Basically, and if they refused, I see them all being arrested as well. If they resisted. .. there is nothing so petty of a law or regulation that doesn't carry with it the threat of violence or death with it, if you resist.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Scary words - "I'm from the government and I'm here to help".

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
http://www.blacklistednews.com/War_On_The_Homeless%3A_Cities_All_Over_America_Are_Passing_Laws_Making_It_Illegal_To_Feed_And_Shelter_Those_In_Need/55663/0/38/38/Y/M.html

All over the country, cities are passing laws that make it illegal to feed and shelter the homeless. For example, in this article you will read about a church in Maryland that was just fined $12,000 for simply allowing homeless people to sleep outside the church at night. This backlash against homeless people comes at a time when homelessness in America is absolutely exploding
http://www.gainesvilletimes.com/archives/120245/

"I don't bother nobody," said Amber McConnell. "Why can't I just be left alone?"
The Hall County Marshal's Office says McConnell, as well as those individuals at another camp on the opposite side of the tracks, are trespassing.
Marshals visited the camp last week to inform these homeless that they must vacate by Monday.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You realize that NOT PERSONALLY caring for the homeless, the widows, the starving children literally goes against what the Bible teaches, right?

What is law does not make it moral or right.

In fact, if you want to obey the Bible, you will have to break the law.

How's that for MORALITY trumping government force?

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
You realize that NOT PERSONALLY caring for the homeless, the widows, the starving children literally goes against what the Bible teaches, right?
That means not a whit to me. The government has tried to make people moral with point of a gun at the right wing's behest. I understand your argument that the church should follow their beliefs but I see no reason for a religious exemption.

What means something is that government is stopping people from helping.

Next thing you know, I will be fined for giving a homeless person a buck or five without issuing a 1099.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That means not a whit to me. The government has tried to make people moral with point of a gun at the right wing's behest. I understand your argument that the church should follow their beliefs but I see no reason for a religious exemption.

What means something is that government is stopping people from helping.

Next thing you know, I will be fined for giving a homeless person a buck or five without issuing a 1099.
I don't either, its just a logical point. Laws go against the Christian from the Bible imperative..

·
Banned
7,204 Posts
I don't either, its just a logical point. Laws go against the Christian from the Bible imperative..
Not always, historically in this country, especially in the South, many a Christian have made Biblical laws government law.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not always, historically in this country, especially in the South, many a Christian have made Biblical laws government law.
We know that, and I don't agree with any of it.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,531 Posts
It is true that local governments (local, not the Big Brother types in Washington) over-regulate everything, including (especially) small businesses.

If you want to have a fun little experiment, see how many laws and regulations you'd have to comply with (and prove to the government you're in compliance with) just to have a "tent sale" in the parking lot in front of your business, just for one Saturday a year, and at this tent sale you'd like to serve some Cokes and lemonade and hot dogs.
Food service permits.
Must provide public restrooms (handicap accessible).
Tent must be fire-resistant, have emergency lighting, first aid kits, fire extinguishers...
Certified electrician must install your lights under the tent-- even if they're just garage workshop lights with 75 watt bulbs connected to the building with outdoor construction-contractor grade extension cords.
Health inspection for all cooking and food preparation areas.
Must have hot running water and sanitizing bin-- just to give out hot dogs on disposable paper plates.

AND, if you want to hang a banner or sign up to call people's attention to your tent sale, that's another permit. Another inspection by the code enforcement officer. Another fee. Another delay while your sign application is processed. And if you already have one sign at your business, the government might not allow you to have another, even temporarily, without a waiver. Which means you might need to wait a few weeks to have the County Commission vote to grant you a waiver for that weekend.

It's flippin insane.
Too much government, at every level, strangling the crap out of any initiative or ambition on the part of so many owners or would-be small business owners.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,900 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It is true that local governments (local, not the Big Brother types in Washington) over-regulate everything, including (especially) small businesses.

If you want to have a fun little experiment, see how many laws and regulations you'd have to comply with (and prove to the government you're in compliance with) just to have a "tent sale" in the parking lot in front of your business, just for one Saturday a year, and at this tent sale you'd like to serve some Cokes and lemonade and hot dogs.
Food service permits.
Must provide public restrooms (handicap accessible).
Tent must be fire-resistant, have emergency lighting, first aid kits, fire extinguishers...
Certified electrician must install your lights under the tent-- even if they're just garage workshop lights with 75 watt bulbs connected to the building with outdoor construction-contractor grade extension cords.
Health inspection for all cooking and food preparation areas.
Must have hot running water and sanitizing bin-- just to give out hot dogs on disposable paper plates.

AND, if you want to hang a banner or sign up to call people's attention to your tent sale, that's another permit. Another inspection by the code enforcement officer. Another fee. Another delay while your sign application is processed. And if you already have one sign at your business, the government might not allow you to have another, even temporarily, without a waiver. Which means you might need to wait a few weeks to have the County Commission vote to grant you a waiver for that weekend.

It's flippin insane.
Too much government, at every level, strangling the crap out of any initiative or ambition on the part of so many owners or would-be small business owners.
Excellent post, Gunsmoker! :applause: :righton: :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts