Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Just a Man
6,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wisconsin Supreme Court says permit needed to carry loaded gun in car

But the decision included a concurrence and a dissent and took a total of 61 pages.

"The fact that there are three separate opinions on what the CCW statute means underscores that average citizens are left without knowing," said John Monroe, a Georgia gun rights attorney who represented Grandberry.

"This is a prime opportunity for the Legislature to clarify the issue," Monroe said.

In 2014, Brian Grandberry was stopped in Milwaukee and asked if he had a weapon in his car. He said he had a loaded .45-caliber Hi-Point handgun in the glove compartment, but also said he had a concealed carry permit.

Police checked and didn't see one listed for Grandberry. That's when he clarified that he had taken the class, but had not yet applied for the permit. He was later convicted of carrying a concealed weapon, a misdemeanor, and sentenced to a year of probation and 30 hours of community service, and appealed.

https://www.jsonline.com/story/news...permit-needed-carry-loaded-gun-car/500471002/

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,807 Posts
From the cited news article.

The high court affirmed two lower court rulings that rejected the advocates' strained reading of an unintended confusion in wordings of two statutes regarding concealed carry and the transport of firearms in motor vehicles.
Gives me a hint of an idea that paper is a bit of a gun control advocacy paper. I could be wrong. But I sure think I ain't wrong.

Nemo

·
Registered
10,809 Posts
And we're told that ignorance of the law is no excuse for violating it - even if no one can agree on what the law is...

·
American
3,289 Posts
It's interesting that laws are written so poorly, particularly given how many brilliant lawyers are elected to legislatures.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
It's interesting that laws are written so poorly, particularly given how many brilliant lawyers are elected to legislatures.
Written poorly or are they purposely written that way?

·
Man of Myth and Legend
14,807 Posts
Written that way to give attorneys a steady client base.

Nemo

1 - 7 of 7 Posts