Wisconsin gun store lawsuit

Discussion in 'In the News' started by cpelliott, Dec 28, 2010.

1. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

2. mb90535im

mb90535im Well-Known Member

If the above statements are factual, bad sale by the employee in my opinion.

3. RecoveringYankee

RecoveringYankee New Member

Tough call. The anti-gunners are going after this store hard.

But I have read a little about it, and I am not sure we want them as the poster child for our side. They seem just a little shady, and this excerpt highlights that.

Been a while, so I do not remember specifics of what I read before, but I do remember feeling uncomfortable about them.

4. phantoms

phantoms Senior Mumbler

Not so, you can buy a firearm as a gift. I took my daughter last year to the store with me to get here a gun. I filled the paper work, paid for it and handed it to her. The clerk knew it was for her and a gift. The law always this. The person the gift is for doesn't have to be present.

Based on the article, I would have to agree in this instance.

5. RecoveringYankee

If you are buying it as a gift, you are the actual buyer. Just not the end user. The law is to prevent someone ineligible to purchase a weapon from giving you the money to make the purchase for him. You are not the actual purchaser then.

6. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

7. RecoveringYankee

Thanks for the cite, Budder. :righton:

8. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

9. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

The potential for abuse of this precedent is scary. Even if this shop was wrong, I fear it's going to open the flood gates against gun shops throughout the country.

10. zetor

zetor Well-Known Member

I thought danger and risk of injury without special accommodation was just part of the job....or was that servicemen....I can't remember which hero it is.

11. codegeek

codegeek codegeek reincarnate

Just seems that their are special people amongst us, that can get inside the mind of another person, and divine the intent of their actions. I, unfortunately, don't possess this DNA.

12. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

I am not so sure that is the case. I have read in several sources that it was a pretty obvious straw purchase. There is even a video floating around out there of the actual purchase, wherein it looked pretty clear the buyer was buying it for the person who shot the police officers.

E.g, here:
    http://bearingarms.com/buwahahahah-gun-control-supporters-lost-badger-guns-case-think-won/

13. Malum Prohibitum

An appeal is coming, according to the gun store's attorney, and in a sense, the case has only entered a new phase.

"The fight has just begun," Patrick Dunphy, the attorney for the officers, said Wednesday. "It's going to be a battle."

. . .

But the officers will not be seeing money anytime soon.

The case will go to a state Appeals Court and possibly straight to the Wisconsin Supreme Court. Depending on the rulings and other cases around the country, the officers' case could end up before the U.S. Supreme Court, experts said.​

http://www.jsonline.com/watchdog/wa...ll-faces-long-road-b99596802z1-332966071.html

14. Malum Prohibitum

Same link:

The straw buyer, Jacob Collins, and the shooter, Julius Burton, came to the store together, video showed. Burton stayed in the store the whole time and pointed out the gun he wanted. Collins initially marked on a form that he was not the buyer but was allowed to change that. Collins and Burton also left the store to get more cash to pay for the gun.​

15. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

Probably because more than 500 firearms recovered from crime scenes have been traced back to Badger Guns and Badger Outdoors.

16. HCountyGuy

HCountyGuy Well-Known Member

Interesting to read. However we all know the anti-gunners will grasp at any straw they can to hold anyone involved with firearms responsible for things out of their realm of control.

This may be a clear cut case of illegal straw purchases and shady deals, but it's already being paraded around as some huge landmark victory and will likely have the facts misrepresented so as to give the uninformed drones cause to think they'll be able to sue gun stores any time a criminal commits an act with a gun.

One could simply hop over to any of the popular anti-gun social media pages, blindly scroll through comments associated with this lawsuit, and likely find one of the anti-gun supporters writing something to the effect of "Finally we can hold gun stores accountable!" or "Why not sue all gun stores for this?"

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

17. Malum Prohibitum

Let 'em. Frivolous suits for lawful commerce in firearms will result in substantial attorney fee awards against them.

18. Gunstar1

Gunstar1 Administrator

This is one of the anti's talking points.

When someone makes a statement like you just did, the questions that should follow and which is never answered are: How many guns have they sold? How long have they been in business?

You can't know if 500 is a high number without knowing how many they have sold.

If store A sold 5,000 in 5 years, then 10% found in a crime is a very high number.

If however store B were higher volume or been in business a while, or both, then the same 500 traced paints a different picture. Selling 40,000 in 20 years is only around 1%.

The totals make a big difference, but the rates are not that different. Store A sold 1,000 a year, store B sold 2,000 a year.

This is why you never hear these totals.

19. Malum Prohibitum

In 2011 the shop ceased to sell guns, but continued to sell ammunition and gun accessories.[12][13] The shop continued to operate a shooting range.[14]

In 2012 Mike Allan, a former employee of Badger Guns and the brother of original owner Adam Allan, obtained federal firearms licenses and changed the business name to Brew City Shooter Supply. The store now only sell to "members" who have taken a class, have a concealed carry permit, and/or demonstrate firearms competency along with paying an annual fee. The current owner announced that the intention of these requirements will prevent straw purchases that caused problems previously.[15]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brew_City_Shooter_Supply

20. Malum Prohibitum

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/news/133122878.html 2011 news story, with history back to 2005-06. This story indicates that the 537 guns figure is just from one year, 2005, although in fairness it is on its third owner and second name change since then.

Anyway, 537 in one year made this gun store the top seller of "crime guns" in the nation in 2005. I do not know the percentage, but I sincerely doubt that Badger Guns was the top seller of guns in the nation, so the numbers are not entirely meaningless.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2015