Wireless

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by kestak, Oct 11, 2010.

1. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Never did that before. I have a 2wire with AT&T (plan to switch soon to cable and keep router) and the signal does not go into my garage. I want to add another wifi router to extend the signal. I was looking at the drink dir601 at best buy for 29.99$ in special.

I think I can do that technically. But anyone did it and can tell me it works really? It will be wifi to wifi. I can't wire the 2 routers with ethernet. If the signal degrades, let's say 50 percent between router 1 and router 2, will router 2 be able to boost signal really?

Btw, I did everything with the current wifi router (boost signal to 10, change frequency, etc). The only option left is extending the network.

Thank you

2. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

I'm by no means a wireless expert, but how about finding a b/g/n wireless router, assuming your wireless devices are n-compatible. From what I've read n has a range advantage over a, b & g.

3. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I am doing researches presently. I found out the Apple Airport Express device. I am still reading about it. Is there any other device I could plug into the electrical outlet that extend the wifi like that? It sound....magical...LOL

Thank you

4. HydroAuto

HydroAuto GPDO Commonlaw Spouse

5. vr6glidriver

vr6glidriver New Member

Sounds like you need a range extender, not a second wireless router. I'm not familiar with the D-Links, but most routers cannot be used in the manner you need, IE amplify and repeat an existing wireless signal.

6. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Ok, did more reading and researches.

Dang! I will have to bully myself. I feel so geeky!!! :lol:

I read about the range extenders and it looks like the one with least complaints is the Netgear http://www.buy.com/prod/netgear-wn2000rpt-universal-wifi-range-extender/q/loc/101/216738846.html .

Questions: Can I install 2 of those "chained"?
    Can I install 2 one at each extremity of the house?

UPDATE I called neatgear and spoke to a nice lady, according to her accent is probably in Bombay...hehehehe

The answer is yes for both questions.

Thank you

7. cpelliott

cpelliott New Member

You can extend the wireless signal by installing dd-wrt on the new router (you'll have to check and see if it supports dd-wrt). A mode called WDS will do what you want, but it won't be easy to set up.

8. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

I ordered the Neatgear wireless range extender. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you

9. seajay

seajay NRA Certified Instructor

You could have just added a wireless access point also. Many hotels use this method to extend the range to all the rooms.

10. RevolverDan

RevolverDan Active Member

Could you not just place the 2wire router in a more centrally located place? If it is the 2701 model that has been shipped for the last few years, that model has some pretty serious range already.

11. Mr_Z

Mr_Z Member

an access point has to be wired into the network. i believe he already said that is not an option...

12. moga

moga New Member

You want a wifi repeater.

EDIT: You could add a second AP but you'll have to run cable from Router A to what ever you add to the network. As long as there's power and some reception, you can setup a repeater. It doesn't require physical cabling to your main network equipment. But, to answer your question, yes, placing a second device in the garage will work assuming that the second network device has a valid IP address and there is an absence of competing signals from both routers operating on or near the same frequency. Unique SSIDs must also be used on the devices.

EDIT2: You ordered a repeater. That should do it for ya.

13. kestak

kestak New Member

Greetings,

Update!!!!!!!!

I installed last night the NetGear WIFI extender WN2000RPT. Installation took literally 15 minutes counting opening the box. The wizard is very simple to use. So simple there is no manual. Just a flier with 4 steps on it.

Now I have PERFECT reception in the master bedroom AND outside up to the lake that is at about 300 feet from the house. I am seriously thinking put one on the other end of the house to be able to cover the whole 3 acres of my land.

I strongly recommend that product.

I bought a D-link N 150 model 601 to hardwire and install 10 feet from my current router because I thought the signal from my 2wire was crap (it is crap, but with the NetGear it works) and I changed my mind. I may just play with it, so I can polish my networking skills however.

Thank you
    P.S.: I am starting a new thread with another problem I have...hehehehe... Let's play nerds with guns.... :D

14. inFEKTid

inFEKTid Member

im a prem tech for at&t and i tell folks to use a n router just plug into the 2 wire router and yer good. glad youhave what you were looking for tho. i am usually a late poster anyhow. as they work the crap out of us