Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The cold weather has played havoc on energy distribution systems in a couple of odd places. AZ currently has a natural gas shortage and TX has imposed state-wide blackouts to reduce demand on the electrical grid in face of a strained supply.

How well off would each of you be if electricity and/or NG delivery was interrupted for a few days due to weather?

http://www.kold.com/Global/story.asp?S=13963759

http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/02/ ... ZH20110202

Natural gas heats my home. I would be screwed, personally. I have very little K-1 and a wick that needs replacement in my heater. Although I have about a cord of wood stacked, my home has a gas-insert instead of a bona-fide fireplace. It loses more heat through the exhaust than it provides for the interior. I could cook on it but it would probably be a very cold couple of nights, for sure. Have a portable genset but it wouldn't do much good I'm afraid, as I don't have a transfer switch installed.

I wouldn't have to go for food, water, batteries, matches, candles, etc.. I can say that, at least. Don't have much dog food though.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Would be good for at least a few weeks.
Plenty of food, water and other supplies. We use NG as well, but our BOL nearby is equipped with both NG and a big old Ashley wood heater. There's plenty of wood stacked up and more than enough food there for the five of us that would be sharing it. There is also more wood on the ground and plenty of standing timber.

I also have multiple methods to treat water if needed. The BOL has a well, access to two small springs and a small lake. There is also another source that I'd rather not mention online.

We have plenty of flashlights, batteries and long burning candles. Two old lanterns and a full oil lamp that we've never used, but no extra oil.

We live in a small town that was buried in '93. No grocery store or gas would be available, but I have enough in fuel cans for an emergency road trip should it become necessary. There are two family owned hardware stores that I would have access to by a five minute walk and a knock on a door.

We still have a long way to go, but I'm happy with our preps so far.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I would be 50 / 50 - which is unsettling. I have gas available for vehicles if I need to leave. I think my Big Green Egg would become heat and cooking if we ran out of natural gas, because that is what heats my house. Even the "fireplace" is NG... but it does not throw off much heat.
We have a lot of blankets, so that would help some... I have methods to treat water, but not too many sources (other than what I have stored in the basement)...
Guess I have some prepping to do...

Hammer

·
Registered
924 Posts
Moga, you mentioned dogfood. We now only have one dog and while there is a couple of weeks of dry food right now, I really need to look into long term options for him.

We also have goats and chickens that would have to be fed. The better they stay fed the better feed they will be should the need ever arise.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I've got a Jeep, I can just drive somewhere warm :mrgreen:

Which would be a good idea because I have no idea how to use my wood fireplace

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Are you ready?

·
Registered
709 Posts
I can certainly protect what I have, and I too, have a Jeep. So I could drive if needed, but would prefer to stay put with family.
I guess I need more water in the basement, and more canned food (i.e. green beans, baked beans, kidney beans, etc.)
Off to the store soon...
May get more ammo, too - not sure you can ever have too much! :)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
jmorriss said:
With the proper precautions you can backfeed a dryer outlet in a pinch with a portable generator.
I'd be curious to see how that works. I take it you would have to go outside, flip the master breaker to the house to prevent any juice from going outside your house's system?

·
Liver Abuser
1,053 Posts
House is all-electric. We have a fireplace and firewood. Close off all but the main room and we could stay warm. There is extra chainsaw fuel and oil.
Campstove and adequate fuel and food for 2-3 weeks. Also have a couple cases of MREs. :puke:
Dog and Cat food is a concern, have to consider that. We keep some extra on hand for emergencies, but probably not enough. Thanks Moga for addressing that.
There should be more water on hand.
Internet access. .. uh-oh. . . :panic:

Use of any cooking device especially anything that burns charcoal, to heat your house is a very, very bad idea. You may wake up dead. Carbon Monoxide can kill you and your family before you know it. It happens every winter.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Heard a saying once on another forum, "If you are prepared for zombies, you are prepared for everything."

So, yeah I have my food, fireplace wood, water, and what have ya for a icing in if it happens. Also, the wife is from the UP,Michigan - she is at home in the winter climit.

·
Registered
709 Posts
janedoedad said:
Use of any cooking device especially anything that burns charcoal, to heat your house is a very, very bad idea. You may wake up dead. Carbon Monoxide can kill you and your family before you know it. It happens every winter.
Completely agree... I would have to take the dryer vent line (or similar and place around the top vent on the BGE. Thankfully, the CO detectors run on batteries...

Guess I have even more to do...

This thread is good for helping think through this part of life.

You know, in thinking about this, I have a couple of neighbors who have fireplaces, I could trade them a place to stay for the family with protection (esp. since one is on the top of a hill)...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Latest weather models are showing a huge artic blast late next week. Still not sure if this will hold or if there will be any snow/ice involved. Predicting temperatures a week away is very difficult to do.

Here is a model run from this morning of surface temps at 6am on 2/11:

Atlanta is showing 0 degrees. Burrrr. This winter isn't over yet.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Yeah, 0 to 10 degrees is cold. I hope they are wrong. Either way I'm about to buy another cord of firewood. :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
the latest model does still have us in the cold locker... but not quite as bad on Friday morning as that map... of course, 24 hours later looks pretty nasty now.... that far out, who really knows.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
No, I'm not. I have plans/supplies/ammo/etc in place, but I'm still not "prepared" for anything. Anyone who says they are completely prepared for any emergency situation is either a loon or a far, far better man than me.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I usually keep 120-160# of kibble in reserve. I just opened the last 40# bag a few days ago. Going to re-up this weekend.

Have 25 Gal of stabilized gas in cans. 5 Gal in genny.

I forgot about charcoal. Would be able to cook on that too. Probably 15# of propane. I've wanted to get 100# bottle but haven't gotten around to it. There wouldn't be anyone on the board who has one that they're willing to part with, would there? At least I don't have to worry about the deep freeze going offline and the contents beginning to spoil.

I'd have to be really in a pinch before I'd try to backfeed the house from the genset through an outlet.

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
IrishTiger said:
jmorriss said:
With the proper precautions you can backfeed a dryer outlet in a pinch with a portable generator.
I'd be curious to see how that works. I take it you would have to go outside, flip the master breaker to the house to prevent any juice from going outside your house's system?
1. Make sure you have the right size cord for your application. (amperage)

2. Ensure street side power to the house has been cut. Most newer homes have a breaker in a box outside by the meter. Cut this and lock the box out. If you *(*@ up this step you could electrocute some poor smuck working on the lines & back feed into your neighbors house.

3. Figure out how many amps you can safely power on the circuits you need. This should really only amount to a fridge, freezer, well pump, few lights, fan. Small room AC's can work in a pinch but watch your loading. Shut off all the breakers you will not be using.

4. When you are connecting into the dryer outlet be mindful that your ******* extension cord has 2 male ends. Make sure down have electricity flowing either way from the house or the generator on the cord if you want to live. Be mindful of the order you start things up.

5. Chain your generator to something. It is quite common in Florida for looters to simply cut the power cord coming out of the generator and make off with it while its still running. This is where the firearm part of the forum comes in.

Thats a rough during work hours explanation. If you have never worked with electricity before or any of those steps confuse you in the slightest, get the real setup done by a pro. Even then this is a temporary, emergency only fix. Very easy to kill yourself or someone else and/or set your house on fire.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
jmorriss said:
4. When you are connecting into the dryer outlet be mindful that your ******* extension cord has 2 male ends. Make sure down have electricity flowing either way from the house or the generator on the cord if you want to live. Be mindful of the order you start things up.
:?:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts