window tint

Discussion in 'Off-topic' started by a_springfield, Dec 21, 2010.

1. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

I am thinking about having the front windows on my jeep tinted to match the back that are 20% per the guy at the tint shop. (the manufacture of the top says 35%). I know that it is illegal to be less than 32% but realistically what are the chances that I will get pulled over just for the tint (it is a jeep so speeding is not likely)? If so what is the fine going for?

2. SongDogSniper

SongDogSniper New Member

It depends, as it is subject to officer discretion. We all carry tint meters in our patrol cars. I usually don't stop for tint alone, but I know of several officers just on my shift that will initiate a stop if they observe what appears to be an window tint violation. If I stop the vehicle for other reasons (headlight, taillight, tag light, speeding, etc) and the tint looks too dark, I'll check it then.

3. a_springfield

do you know what the fine is if I get busted?

4. BSCLibertarian

BSCLibertarian I'm kind of a big deal

My front windows are probably darker than they should be but the times I have been pulled over I just rolled them both down. I have never been stopped simply for window tint. YMMV

I have heard the fine is $150 but I don't know anyone who is gotten one.

5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

Interesting, I'm getting ready to tint windows on a new vehicle and wondered about this very issue. The last time I had windows tinted on my truck, the place that did it made it known that they wouldn't go below the legal level.

6. a_springfield

that is about what the tint guy said the ticket was. He also said that they were "cracking down" on tint but they would do it for me. If I read the law right it is illegal for them to install
    this is listed in the exceptions
    If there is not a federal law then it is legal correct?
    there is not a federal law so it is in turn permitted? or am I stretching this?

7. RedDawnTheMusical

I believe that the 'permitted by federal law' is laws that specifically state vehicles meeting certain requirements can have the darker tint. Naturally, that includes vehicles used by federal agencies and not us average joes...

8. a_springfield

the next exemption is police vehicles. this is one of those laws that make no sense and have no purpose.

9. RedDawnTheMusical

I believe that it was put on the books in most states to help protect officer safety, so they have a better view in the vehicle. MY policy is to roll down my driver and passenger front windows when I'm pulled over so it isn't an issue. I wish they had written the law that way instead of setting a tint limit. I get the officer safety thing - I just wish it had been implemented in a different way. When I lived in Vermont I intentionally violated the law on the Dodge Stealth I had. Never got a ticket for it. I.m getting a Tahoe I'm going to black out and I'll likely exceed the tint limit again so I can match it to the rest of the tint.

10. Ga_Regul8r

Ga_Regul8r Member

I do know from a friend that a doctor's excuse can get you a darker tint. I think it's thru a handicapped placard, but I do know her window tint is darker than the law allows. She's been challenged a few times by cips and won on the side of the road.

Also, don't know if they are still doing it, but Virginia used to pull out of state cars and check their tint. If it was darker than VA law allowed, they would scrape it right there or write the ticket. Your choice. Not sure if they still do it or even if other states do anything similar.

11. a_springfield

Georgia does it. The tint law was repealed for a year or two because it was not enforced to out of state cars but was added back where it is any car (except cops) in the state.

12. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

I don't see how laws relating to window tint are constitutional, or even desirable on the part of anyone. Why would someone planning on shooting the officer who just pulled them over hold their gun where it's visible from outside the car at all?

13. RedDawnTheMusical

I suspect the same retarded lack of logic that would make them even contemplate taking a shot at a LEO to begin with...

14. XDMWarrior

XDMWarrior New Member

My question is why are the cops allowed to ride around unsafely I might add, with blacked out window tint? What makes them so special? There is no justifiable reason that I have ever heard. More of the "Do as I say, not as I do crap". I say it is unsafe, because I know from my vehicles in the past, that I couldn't see crap at night time out of anything but the windshield. Blacked out windows are unsafe on anyone's vehicle, imo. I would like to see the law changed to like 20%. I think 20 looks good, is functional at reducing light, but yet is not too dark to satisfy a cop's safety needs. I don't think it even matters at night time how much tint you have because it is hard to see in a vehicle without tint anyway, if easing up the side of the vehicle.

15. RedDawnTheMusical

That's so the privileged few can protect us from our inequality... Ok, I don't what the reasoning is. I presume that there was some justification that it aided law enforcement in some way to have the dark tint, but I still can't see why rolling down the windows when you're pulled over isn't adequate.

16. Hack Causality

Hack Causality New Member

Same reason as every other ridiculous rule exception: you're automatically labeled a bad person if you speak up against anything the police want or say. Same reason police can do a no-knock entry on the wrong house, shoot the home owner because he or she responded with a weapon to a home invasion, and then not go to prison. Same reason they can steal your identity and give it to an undercover officer and not go to prison.

17. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

It is very difficult to see inside of a vehicle with dark tinted windows at night even when you're flashing a light into the window on a traffic stop. The most you might be able to make out is a silhouette. I do not support any LEO exemption from this law though. What's good for one should be good for all, but sadly they never called me when they were writing the law. That being said, it is very useful for undercover / plain clothes use which would be made even more difficult without it.

18. vooduchikn

vooduchikn New Member

Make sure you don't have a GCO sticker on your car.. I heard that your limit is zero percent if you get pulled over

:woohoo:

19. a_springfield

if and when I get pulled over could I just roll down both front windows and refuse to roll them up for the cop. Using the 5th amendment to refuse to incriminate myself? he would then be required to get a warrant to check.

20. jlcnuke

jlcnuke New Member

Chances of getting stopped for it are slim. I've been stopped once in the past 6 years after getting my windows tinted. It was on I-16 and the small town cop pulled me over "for my tint" but was actually trying to find drug runners (I gathered that from the 5 minutes of questions about if I had any illegal drugs or large amounts of cash in the car with me). Got a ticket for the tint in the end, was a couple years ago now but at the time I think the fine was $125 including court costs. FTR, my tint is darker than yours. The comfort of having the tint is worth a ticket every five or six years for me.