Winchester

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Taurus92, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Taurus92

Taurus92 Well-Known Member

The movie.

IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1072748/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1
    Netflix dvd: https://dvd.netflix.com/Movie/Winchester/80179245?strackid=43a46e496e908d03_1_acomplete
    A correction from an IMDB reviewer:
    Interesting that Hollywood chose a woman with what sounds like some pretty serious mental issues, although not uncommon to those suffer hoplophobia, to showcase hoplophobia. I doubt they will make the connection.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018

2. Taurus92

An areal view give better perspective. Seven stories, 500 rooms.

[​IMG]

3. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

looks like a great place to rent for a weekend company retreat. Play games of "hide and seek" that last for days.

4. Taurus92

Better than a corn maze.

RedDawnTheMusical likes this.
  5. RedDawnTheMusical

RedDawnTheMusical Well-Known Member

I was there for tours twice. Very interesting place. From the tours we were told that she kept the house under constant construction based on what she was told from a physic, which was if construction on the house ever stopped, the spirits of those killed by Winchester firearms would "get her" or something to that effect. According to the tour guides, the fake rooms, staircases to nowhere, etc. were all built to keep the spirits busy. So, I'm not sure how the IMDB reviewer had a different take on it unless the estate has changed the story for some reason (I visited about two decades ago).

6. Taurus92

Well one review said most of the rumors were started by people trying to profit off of tourist and she wasn't crazy, but had a thing for architecture. That being a "man's world", blowing Winchester's money on building 24x7x365 was her creative expression. Ok, so I'm not buying that. I can see rumors being exaggerated and we know, Hollywood would never embellish anything to turn a profit. *cough* So, who knows the truth.

7. RedDawnTheMusical

I didn't see any evidence of that. It was apparent that, while some things were done based on architectural drawings/designs, other things appeared to be just tossed together by the carpenters. For example in a staircase, some odd-size steps had to be used because someone didn't appear to do the calculations correctly. It was definitely a blast to tour - I would have liked to have been able to just go through it on my own w/o being part of a tour group. Old lady Winchester was definitely nuts though - she wasted a ton of cash on useless construction. If she really had an issue with Winchester Firearms, she could have done a lot to impede their operations as she was 50% owner in the company, as I recall, after inheriting her husband's shares.

8. Taurus92

Exactly. Building rooms for ghosts isn't philanthropy or any form of activism. It's just nuts. Architecture, is design. Just building stuff isn't architecture.

9. Taurus92

10. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Going there in October

11. Taurus92

RDTM, question for you. I've looked through the website and have seen nothing about Winchester rifles and very little about Sarah's hoplophobia (if you can even call it that). As a twice experienced tourist/visitor, is there anything in the house related to Winchester rifles? It's certainly not evident from what I've seen.

12. Taurus92

They've added the first "new tour" in 20 years, the Explore More Tour, but it's for a limited time. That might be worth checking into.

Are you going for the Hallowe'en Candlelight Tour?

Last edited: Feb 7, 2018
  13. RedDawnTheMusical

Sure, there is a museum in the house that is loaded with Winchester firearms. http://www.winchestermysteryhouse.com/explore-the-house/museums/

Taurus92 likes this.
  14. Taurus92

15. RedDawnTheMusical

FYI - there was an author (Mary Jo Ignoffo) that did a lot of research and published a book on Winchester house claiming that most of what is "known" about the house and the heiress is false. She stated that the odd design, stairs that lead nowhere, etc. are a result of the earth quake in 1906 that did a lot of damage to the top floors of the house, so the floors had to be removed and were not rebuilt - hence doors that go nowhere, etc. She also said research showed that there were long periods where there was no construction going on at the home, contradicting the "must be under construction at all times to avoid haunting spirits" claim. Supposedly, all of the hunting stuff was a storyline crafted by the Brown family (long time carnival workers) that rented (and eventually purchased) the house and started tours there to generate revenue.

16. Taurus92

Hey man, you're ruining the new movie.

One of the reviews mentioned that. While that sort of makes sense, if you're doing construction 24x7, why not remove the doors going nowhere and put in a window or solid wall? Stairs going nowhere? Take them out and use the space. Maybe that was just where construction stopped upon her death, but 1906 to 1922 was enough time to get that done. It's a mystery.

One way trap doors? One could have been that second story door to nowhere.

17. RedDawnTheMusical

I suspect that the legend is a little over-done. Anyone with that kind of $ (I mean she was Bill Gates-rich) is likely going to be a little aloof and seem eccentric, maybe even crazy to others. While the author did research and published a book to the contrary, we also have to remember that she has a book to sell.

While know the truth is always interesting, believing in legends is more fun. I don't believe that there was anything definitive in the research that ruled out many of the stories with facts - it just presented alternate possibilities based on the research. Only old lady Winchester would know the truth.

18. Taurus92

Well, we can trust Hollywood to get it right. Maybe atlsrt44 can bring back all the answers.

atlsrt44 and RedDawnTheMusical like this.
  19. atlsrt44

atlsrt44 Well-Known Member

Dont hold your breath.