There is no outlook express for win 7
Trying to find email program as close to outlook express as possible

Live mail seems similar but i'm having trouble getting it to work right
Is outlook any closer?

or are there better programs out there?

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,726 Posts
Most email hosts have a webmail page where you can use and organize email, and all you need is a browser app.

Then, when your hard-drive goes south, you still have all your mail cause it's on the server.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Outlook express is the most hacked e-mail program in history. :screwy:
I never use it, EVER!
Try a web based E like Gmail. Much safer, access from any computer or smart phone.
Thunderbird is good one also.

·
Member Georgia Carry
11,726 Posts
Some years back I used Pegasus http://pmail.com . It was a fun application if they really need a local app. I've also heard good things about Thunderbird.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Live mail is the successor to Outlook Express. Outlook is a completely different beast, developed by a completely different team in Microsoft, and costs $$$. If the user is willing to learn something new, Thunderbird is a good, and free, alternative. If they don't want to learn something new, Live Mail is the closest thing there is to Outlook Express, and is also free. But as stated, Thunderbird is preferable. Another alternative, if they are open to it and it makes sense for this individual, is to setup a gmail account for them, set up a forward rule on their mail provider (most ISPs allow this), and setup Gmail to send as their current email as the default. They'll get lots of space online to keep their mail and it will be there for them no matter if they are on their own computer or not. And with Gmail, if they have an iPhone or other ActiveSync device, with Gmail you can setup push email and calendar, sort of like MS Exchange. It's kind of nice.

·
Registered
655 Posts
<--- uses Thunderbird. It is free... easy.. and does everything I need. I like the way you can have multiple email accounts checking and not have to switch users and it sorts them nice and neat.

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
T-bird. You can make it work to download online email, like yahoo mail, Goggle mail, etc.

Think useful redundancy!

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
I have used Thunderbird in the past and I liked it. The best part is the cost.....$0...zilch....nada.... :righton:

·
Super Moderator
7,120 Posts
Thunderbird for the win!

EZ to use, EZ to configure, stable, and I think a couple folks mentioned: FREE!

I set my MIL up with it. she loves it.

·
Seasteading Aficionado
44,896 Posts
Man, you guys know everything. Its one perk to hanging out on this website. When it comes to computers, you guys know everything.

I'm going to check out this Thunderbird thing. Sounds cool.

·
I'm kind of a big deal
5,243 Posts
EJR914 said:
Man, you guys know everything. Its one perk to hanging out on this website. When it comes to computers, you guys know everything.

I'm going to check out this Thunderbird thing. Sounds cool.
From Mozilla (FireFox). It's good.

I even used Open Office instead of Word, Excel etc. for a while - it works fine too.

:righton: for open source

·
Registered
6,950 Posts
Thunderbird, at mozilla.org

·
Senior Mumbler
6,434 Posts
Phil1979 said:
Some years back I used Pegasus http://pmail.com . It was a fun application if they really need a local app. I've also heard good things about Thunderbird.
I use to use Pegasus too. I switched over to Thunderbird years ago and have stuck with it. Love it.

I even sync my contacts and calendar with it from my Windows Phone by using Gmail as the intermediary. All done automatically (after set-up, of course).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts