Will you get arrested if ...

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Schweisshund, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Schweisshund

Schweisshund Well-Known Member

You dispatch an injured deer on the side of the road?

I know you "should" call it in and report the injured animal ...but it is lying there gasping ....suffering.

What is the legal thing and what is the humane thing?

2. a_springfield

a_springfield Well-Known Member

My dad stopped after a lady hit one (then hit the ditch) the cop responding was thankful my dad offered to shoot it for him. Apparently they have a lot of paper work to do when they discharge their firearm.

3. Phil1979

Phil1979 Member Georgia Carry

A bite to its throat sufficient to crush its airway will do the trick.

Sorry, couldn't resist the dark humor.

I would not convict you for safely shooting it, even if you were within city limits where any shooting other than self-defense was illegal.

If one were to be concerned about the legality of shooting it, a sharp enough blow with a large metal tool to the cervical spine to break its neck might be a humane way of dispatching it.

4. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I'd shoot it, if it could be done safely.
    Technically, you could be violating a couple of laws regarding discharging a firearm in the City or County, and shooting within 50 yards of a public roadway (State law).

But I think that some of the defenses to criminal prosecutions that are founded on the doctrine of "necessity" (preventing a greater harm) may apply, although that doctrine is implied, not clearly stated. I'd take the shot and be prepared to fight it out in court IF some overzealous cop or prosecutor decided to make an issue out of it. (which is very unlikely).

Schweisshund likes this.
  5. NTA

NTA Well-Known Member

I would not risk anything that might put me into a courtroom, much less arrest or jail. Even hiring a lawyer is off limits to this 70 year old.

MaricopaKid likes this.
  6. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

About 4 years ago on Ga Hwy 17 in Burke County headed to the mountains noticed a large doe on the shoulder of the road that had been hit by a vehicle. She was broke down in the back but very much alive. Got the snake gun from behind the seat and walked over to the deer. At the same time a Ga State Trooper drove up. His exact words to me were "Sir you got This" I said yes and finished the task at hand. Trooper then got out of his car and helped me drag the deer well off the hwy. Any laws broken here yes I'm sure there were, but it was something that needed doing and common sense prevailed. As with everything in life experiences may vary.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    MSgt G likes this.
  7. Clark

Clark Well-Known Member

Fulton or Dekalb? No, they'd fry you in a heartbeat. Elsewhere in Metro Atlanta? Depends, cities probably not, unincorporated, maybe.

8. Schweisshund

I am a truck driver and I drive at night. I saw a visibly injured trophy buck that had trouble standing. That was what prompted my question.

I know just it being a trophy would absolutely put my intentions under a microscope. I hope it made it, as I kept on trucking. But ....it really bothered me. I can't stand seeing anything suffer.

9. mrhutch

mrhutch Well-Known Member

I would cut it's throat or break it's neck before shooting it on a road side, unless it's obviously mortally wounded but still feisty enough to be dangerous/ get away. But I'm a hunter, I've dispatched deer that were still not quite dead with a blade to the throat or a boot to the neck a handful of times.

Schweisshund likes this.
  10. Schweisshund

I had not thought of that. It was still moving/thrashing and would have impaled me if I got too close. I was traveling on GA State Route 27 North and had passed Cedartown when I saw it. I usually see a few herds along my route along with deceased deer rotting on the side of the road. This was a first for me though. I don’t know if it had been hit, but it appeared to have broken a leg (or 2).

11. mrhutch

Dang you were near where I hunt.

If you ever do dispatch a deer roadside, aim for heart/ lungs, right behind the crease of the shoulder. Much more likelihood of an effective hit, much lower risk of pass through or ricochet.

Schweisshund likes this.
  12. Savannah Dan

Savannah Dan Cross-drawer

I was driving my son around to entertain him a few weekends ago and saw a large deceased doe on the side of the road about a mile from the entrance to Bethesda Home for Boys (Bethesda Academy now). Someone had tied a mylar Get Well Soon balloon to its leg.

gunsmoker and Schweisshund like this.
  13. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

I finished-off a vehicle-hit deer with an axe before.
    It was messy, gory, and a lot of hard work. Took more blows that I'd have thought.

Next time, I'll shoot it in the head, if I have a safe angle to shoot.

14. OWM

OWM Well-Known Member

The Viking coming out in you.

15. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Okay, maybe a stupid question, but were is your pocket knife? :cool:

I have encountered many deer at night. And have bumped one or two. Both seemed to run off deep into the night. But if one were hurt bad enough, I'd dispatch it immediately. Then call up a few friends and share the bounty. Usually at 2-5 am there is hardly ever anyone one the road, and wasting good meat in my mind is a crime.

However I did hit one hard enough in Atlanta and had to call to report it due to damage to my company vehicle. Officer dispatched it, wrote me a report told me were to get a copy the next day, and have a good night. We discussed that she was a good size doe, and that the SOP stated that he'd have to call it in and DOT would take care of it. But we both laughed and agree someone at the DOT would be eating well tomorrow!

16. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

Please don't apply for any "executioner" jobs. #-o

Baba Yaga likes this.
  17. moe mensale

moe mensale Well-Known Member

He's got a long way to go to make Holger Danske smile. :mrgreen:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    Baba Yaga likes this.
  18. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Axe wielding, its a special art.

19. mrhutch

Owner of a local processor hit one on his way to a party once while I was wearing a tux. Had to finish it off and all he had was a 3 lb sledgehammer in his van. He clocked it with that and sprayed brain and blood all over himself. Blunt force is messy.

Baba Yaga likes this.
  20. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

I could see myself doing that. Then stopping for a moment and thinking, smart, real smart, then start laughing..... only because it wasn't. lol