Georgia Packing banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,015 Posts
good question.
The text of the Constitution itself has no express limitation on who can be the beneficiary of a pardon. Is one implied? By what other parts of the Constitution? By what historical evidence shedding light on what the Framers thought or assumed to be the scope of the pardon power? How about the pardon power as the Framers knew it in the pre-Revolution days, when they learned about law and government as subjects of the British monarch?

QUOTE FROM CONSTITUTION
(Article II, section 2, clause 1.)

The President shall ...have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.

·
Sledgehammer
4,714 Posts
good question.
The text of the Constitution itself has no express limitation on who can be the beneficiary of a pardon. Is one implied? By what other parts of the Constitution? By what historical evidence shedding light on what the Framers thought or assumed to be the scope of the pardon power? How about the pardon power as the Framers knew it in the pre-Revolution days, when they learned about law and government as subjects of the British monarch?

QUOTE FROM CONSTITUTION
(Article II, section 2, clause 1.)

The President shall ...have Power to grant Reprieves and Pardons for Offenses against the United States, except in Cases of Impeachment.
I have done zero research, but some thoughts come to mind:

1. The fact that there is only one explicit exception (cases of impeachment), tends to exclude all other exceptions (such as self pardon).
2. The pardon pardon of which the framers were aware was the power of the king, and the power of the king to pardon was essentially unlimited, wasn't it?

·
Banned
1,267 Posts
I think he likely will and we will see if we have a king or a constitutional republic. I think the court will reaffirm the latter. No one is above the law.
The thing is that if the constitution says he can pardon himself it is pretty cut and dry. I have no doubt roberts the rino will go against him but who knows. I mean Georgia just elected who they did from the Senate so our country is heading to hell. At least its not all from a deficit of decency demographic shifts can be blamed for some and democrats are all over those shifts. They never talk about their policies reaching more just "Hey Texas has a exploding latino population" If you win just because of that you have issues and should not be in power.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Considering Trump didn't grant pardons to any family members or inner circle members (eg, Rudy Giuliani) seems to me a signal on his part of being more than willing to face any charges and get his day on court. There's two primary events where I could see him getting charged. Obstruction in the failed Russiagate clown show and the 2020 general election fiasco. There's enough vindicating evidence in both cases that perhaps he sees that as the vehicle for getting the evidence presented in a court.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
How do you know he didn't?
I don't. But don't they have to be made public? I've heard of secret pardons although none have ever been made (I think). If Trump did issue secret pardons how would they be verified as valid after he's out of office?

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I would assume that pardons are somehow registered or filed with the DOJ and it is not "making them public" that makes them valid.

·
Registered
13,499 Posts
Then they sure as hell would have been leaked, wouldn't they?

·
Swollen Member
11,889 Posts
I think he likely will and we will see if we have a king or a constitutional republic. I think the court will reaffirm the latter. No one is above the law.
Trump will not self-pardon.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts