Will the Gifford Shooting become Obama's OKC Bombing?

Discussion in 'Off-topic Political' started by EJR914, Jan 11, 2011.

1. EJR914

EJR914 Cheezburger Operator

I've heard one pundit already say that Obama should use this shooting as his Oklahoma City Bombing. (Speaking of Clinton and the OKC Bombing)

There have been plenty of pundits lately saying that Obama needs a OKC bombing moment, like the one that got Clinton's approval ratings back up and no doubtingly helped lead to his re-election. Same could be said of Bush, 9/11, and the Patriot Act.

Do you think this is the "crisis" or tragedy that the Dems and Obama have been waiting for?

Will Obama come out and give an amazing speech just as Clinton did to pull the country back together and bolster his approval rating?

After all, one of his own previous administration said, "Don't ever let a good crisis go to waste."

I guess its now "Don't ever let a good tragedy go to waste." On gun control as well.

Its my opinion that they will be more likely to pass more gun control now, as well as possibly bolster Obama into a second term, get the gun control that the anti-gun people want so bad, and maybe even Democrats take back over the House and increase their Senate seats in the next election.

What do you guys think?

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

No way.

I predict nothing passes. Most of the Democrats want to take back control of the House and hold onto the Senate and the White House. They know pursuing gun control now will undermine those goals.

3. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

I agree. I think you'll see some bills introduced by very liberal members of Congress b/c that's what they're expected to do (as we're already seeing). However I don't think they will get general party support, and definitely not support from newly elected conservatives.

The economy is slowly rebounding, but a lot of people are still out of work, have homes which are less than they were, and taken hits on their investments. People want those things addressed before pet projects like gun control.

4. AV8R

AV8R Banned

The ones who do try to pass more guns laws (both (D) and (R) alike) will have targets on their backs come the next election. Any attempt at new gun legislation should be shot down immediately, and those who would use this tragedy to chip away at liberty should be put out of commission.

*wording is intentional, but not to be taken literally. There are still level-headed adults out there who can read the above and not get their panties in a wad or go on a shooting rampage, save Loughner and mb38d8dhs20329djzzdsifd239u39dud9u2djsgvj39gde5150

5. JeF4y

JeF4y New Member

I think you're totally right with people capitalizing off of crisis/tragedy, but I don't think this is anywhere near the scale it would need to be to make any significant difference for either side.

6. EJR914

Fair enough, and that is certainly a good argument. I hope nothing passes as well.

What are your ideas about Obama using this event to pull a "Slick Willy" and help this to bolster his poll numbers, and give him a greater chance for re-election in two years?

7. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

He's a politician so I think he will definitely use anything he can to his advantage.

8. EJR914

I forgot to add this to the OP, but I will add it now. How about more infringements on our 1st amendment rights?

Fairness Doctrine? Stifling free speech, political speech, or just vitriolic or even simple metaphorical speech?

I already hear liberals pushing for it, which is strange, because aren't they supposed to be the champions of free speech?

Sounds more like to me that they know they are losing arguments, so its time to shut down the oppositions chance to retort and argument.

9. Rugerer

Rugerer GeePeeDoHolic

As far as Obama is concerned, I think he would possibly pull off a feel-good speech so he can look like he feels the country's pain, but there's no there there. He doesn't have the substance that Slick Willie had. Other Dems are going to try banking off what they think they can mine out of the emotions right now.

I saw somewhere a poll that showed the public isn't buying all the right-wing blame they're throwing around. Most seem to get this was just a nutcase who got lucky.

My big fear is the Repubs getting shy about about the appearance of spending political capital. They don't show much skill coming back against the emotional arguments. They're too eager to look like they're compromising. I'm shocked they played some hardball in December, but yet they still kept the tax cuts at the expense of equal or even more giveaways to the Dems.

10. JDcollins78

JDcollins78 New Member

I agree with this. The potential for assaults on the 1A has me more concerned at the moment. It seems that the first thing to come out of this tragedy was talk about inflammatory speech and how Sarah Palin and the Tea Party are to blame blah, blah, blah, etc.

However, I think it pays to be aware as we know that politicians cannot be trusted. And that goes for both major parties.

11. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

Bill Mahr just spouted some completely moronic, bigoted, anti-gun diarhhea on Leno.

Highlights include:
    1) Obama good
    2) Of course free speech being exercised drives borderline people to do crazy things, (his own drivel excepted of course)
    3) 31 round magazine clips bad
    4) Secluded armed militia compounds are always owned by Republicans
    5) Carrying assault rifles in public bad
    6) Gun carriers are hysterical nutcases
    7) Gun ownership is an addiction

:screwy:

12. EJR914

I'm not shocked by the Republicans compromising and giving into the Dems. Since I've been alive, Republicans are almost always compromising with the Dems, which basically mean WE the people lose.

There just aren't any Republicans out there that provide real leadership and real backbone. None I really see worthy of my vote anyway.

13. TippinTaco

TippinTaco New Member

UHHH OH. AV8R please be careful, it may lead someone to do bad things ;) :shattered:

But to anser the question, I think Obama may try to ride the coat tails of this trajedy as long as he can to get the rallying support from the country ( if its possible at this point) If Americans are smart enough they will see through this, and his political game just enough that he doesnt get away with it. This issue WILL never amount to the OC bombing. It's a trajedy yes, but its nothing comparable, I just hope others see that as well. Yes a judge was murdered, congresswoman shot, and a child was killed, but 168 lives of adults and children out surpass the lives of what was lost a few days ago, don't that that the wrong way, I'm not saying it to take away from the severity of this trajedy. I just hope politcal parties dont try to take advantage of the situation by pushing different agendas that werent necessarly a part of the game plan they were hired for in the first place.

They need to worry about the jobs, unemployement, government spending and taxes. But as mentioned in another topic, its already to late for some, they're already started the anti-gun propaganda with outlawing large cap. magazines. It's a staircase at this point.

14. NullMatrix

NullMatrix Member

The economy is not rebounding.

15. GAGunOwner

GAGunOwner Active Member

Well... :D

16. EJR914

:lol: Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Bill nailed that one on the head.

17. dcannon1

dcannon1 New Member

Based on what I'm seeing in my neck of the woods it's rebounding. Two of my friends that were unemployed for a lengthy time got jobs last quarter. The last 2 quarters of 2010 were our best ever at my business. My GF just started a small business which is already operating in the black after 3 months. Our e-commerce customers all had great 4th quarters in 2010 with the holiday sales beating out 2009 soundly.

I don't know much about economic indicators on Wall St or anything like that. I'm only speaking to what I'm seeing with my own 2 eyes. Maybe people around me are just lucky and not indicative of the norm right now.

18. CoffeeMate

CoffeeMate Junior Butt Warmer

He meant it in a bad way, as in we see a gun and start drooling, get the shakes, sell the kids to buy it, all for the ego rush of affronting society with another weapon in our hand.

:screwy:

19. AV8R

AV8R Banned

I did not know that selling your kids to guy new guns was bad. Should I have not done that? GET OUT OF MY HEAD, BILL MAHR!

20. budone1967

budone1967 Die Hard GCO Recruiter

^This^

Most of the pundents except the far left are backing off on this now. They see that the American people aren't buying it.