Georgia Firearm Forums - Georgia Packing banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Fire for effect
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure where to post this question, so I'll post it here.
I'm still confused as to what a "government entity" is and where I can't carry.
Will our current legislative session introduce a bill to clarify this question?
Is there an effort underway to resolve this issue?

·
Registered
2,538 Posts
The law should more clearly define where we can & can't carry. Government entity does seems vague and confusing.

·
Registered
7,594 Posts
Give him a minute. Mr. Franklin will be along shortly. :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
It best way to clarify it is to remove "government building" from the list of prohibited places.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
First, I'm 100% in favor of removing "Government Building" from the list of prohibited places. There are FAR too many government buildings that are off-limits under the code with no good reason for being off-limits.

That being said, i think the current definition is about as unambiguous as it could possibly be: "(4) 'Government entity' means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state."

This is certainly an improvement over the old "publicly owned and operated buildings" language, in which a Bass Pro Shops was off-limits but many gov't offices arguably weren't. I can't really think of a better way to define it, nor of an example that isn't covered by this definition. Are there suggestions?

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
MY SUGGESTION:

Replace the "government entity" ban with these two things off limits:
"meetings of public officers" and
"that portion of public buildings in which meetings of public officers regularly take place."

And then define "meetings of public officers" to describe commission meetings, agency meetings, public hearings, scheduled sessions, etc. of
any legislative body (General Assembley, County Commission, City Council, etc.)
or the board of education, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or substantially identical public institution of:
-- the state or
-- any county, consolidated government, within this state

I would specifically strike "municipal corporation" from the statute because I don't think enough people know what that means and it's too confusing to differentiate between that and a non-profit private corporation.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
gunsmoker said:
MY SUGGESTION:

Replace the "government entity" ban with these two things off limits:
"meetings of public officers" and
"that portion of public buildings in which meetings of public officers regularly take place."

And then define "meetings of public officers" to describe commission meetings, agency meetings, public hearings, scheduled sessions, etc. of
any legislative body (General Assembley, County Commission, City Council, etc.)
or the board of education, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or substantially identical public institution of:
-- the state or
-- any county, consolidated government, within this state

I would specifically strike "municipal corporation" from the statute because I don't think enough people know what that means and it's too confusing to differentiate between that and a non-profit private corporation.
I disagree with you entirely. There is no reason public officials should be left to defend themselves with purses if some nut decides to shoot up a board or commission meeting as in Panama City. I would limit it to legislative and judicial buildings to which entry is controlled with a metal detector, AND require a place to check firearms.

·
Premium Member
5,239 Posts
ChipM said:
AND require a place to check firearms.
Unfortunately this sentence here will be met with opposition by both metro Atlanta and Rural areas with smaller budgets (which is needed for firearm legislation anywayssince metro Atlanta is more left of center). Forcing those places to have to build, maintain, and assume liability for firearms left in their control is not really feasible as cash strapped as our state government is now.

I think the rest of your proposal is a good idea (limiting it to places with metal detectors), but the reality is getting a "forced storage" provision to pass is unrealistic.

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
ChipM said:
gunsmoker said:
MY SUGGESTION:

Replace the "government entity" ban with ...
I disagree with you entirely. There is no reason public officials should be left to defend themselves with purses if some nut decides to shoot up a board or commission meeting as in Panama City. I would limit it to legislative and judicial buildings to which entry is controlled with a metal detector, AND require a place to check firearms.
ChipM: I was trying to "clarify" the law while changing it the minimal amount necessary to clarify the way we think it is right now.
If you want to fundamentally change the law, sure, let people carry in government buildings and at government meetings, political functions and events, etc. But that goes way beyond what I thought the O.P. was asking about.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
All buildings that house a government entity should be designated as such on the doors or places of entry! No, not a no firearms sign, a sign stated what entity they are.

I posted a long list somewhere of Government Entity's in Georgia.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
Oh, here it is

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=46842&hilit=what+is+a+government+entity
[quote:2qlkmms2](4) 'Government entity' means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state.
Here are some examples for the STATE OF GEORGIA and does not include examples of "or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education"
http://www.georgia.gov/00/topic_index_c ... 45,00.html

Accounting Office, State
Administrative Hearings, Office of State
Administrative Office of the Courts
Administrative Services, Department of
Agriculture, Department of
Agrirama (Tifton, Ga)
American Indian Concerns, Council of
Americans with Disabilities Act Coordinators
Attorney General, Office of
Audits, Department of
Banking and Finance, Department of
Behavioral Health & Developmental Disabilities
Brain and Spinal Injury Trust Fund Commission
Building Authority, Georgia
Bureau of Investigation, Georgia
Child Advocate, Office of
Children and Families, Governor's Office for
Civil War Commission
Community Affairs, Department of
Community Health, Department of
Composite State Board of Medical Examiners
Consumer Affairs, Governor's Office of
Corrections, Department of
Council for the Arts, Georgia
Council of Juvenile Court Judges
Council of Superior Court Judges
Court of Appeals
Courts Automation Commission
Criminal Justice Coordinating Council
Defense, Department of
Development Authority, Georgia
Developmental Disabilities Council
Disability Services Ombudsman
Dispute Resolution, Georgia Commission on
Driver Services, Department of
Drugs and Narcotics Agency
Early Care and Learning, Department of
Economic Development, Department of
Education, Department of
Emergency Management Agency, Georgia
Employees' Retirement System
Environmental Facilities Authority, Georgia
Equal Opportunity, Georgia Commission of
Ethics Commission, State
Fatherhood Program
Financing and Investment Commission, Georgia State
Firefighter Standards and Training Council, Georgia
Fiscal Management Council, Georgia
Forestry Commission, Georgia
Georgia General Assembly
Georgia Medical Center Authority
Georgia State Games Commission
Governor's Council On Maternal and Infant Health
Health Care Fraud Control Unit, State
Herty Advance Materials Development Center
Higher Education Savings Plan, Georgia
Highway Safety, Governor's Office of
Holocaust, Georgia Commission on the
House of Representatives, Georgia
Human Services, Department of
Humanities Council, Georgia
Inspector General, Office of the State
Insurance and Safety Fire Commissioner, Georgia
Jekyll Island State Park Authority
Juvenile Justice, Department of
Labor, Department of
Lake Allatoona Preservation Authority
Land Conservation Program
Lieutenant Governor's Office
Lottery Corporation, Georgia
Medical Education Board, State
Motor Vehicle Division, Department of Revenue
Music Hall of Fame, Georgia
National Fairgrounds and Agricenter, Georgia
Natural Resources, Department of
New Georgia Encyclopedia
Nonpublic Postsecondary Education Commission
Office of Homeland Security, Georgia
Pardons and Paroles, State Board of
Patrol, Georgia State
Peace Officers Standards and Training Council
Peace Officers' Annuity and Benefit Fund of Georgia
Physician Workforce, Georgia Board for
Planning and Budget, Office of
Ports Authority, Georgia
Professional Standards Commission, Georgia
Properties Commission, State
Prosecuting Attorneys' Council
Public Broadcasting Authority, Georgia
Public Defender Standards Council, Georgia
Public Safety Training Center
Public Safety, Department of
Public Service Commission
Real Estate Commission, Georgia
Regents, Board of
Regional Transportation Authority, Georgia
Revenue, Department of
Road and Tollway Authority, State
School Superintendent, State
Secretary of State, Office of the
Senate, Georgia
Soil and Water Conservation Commission, State
Spatial Data Infrastructure, Georgia
Sports Hall of Fame Authority
State Personnel Administration
Stone Mountain Memorial Association
Student Achievement, Governor's Office of
Student Finance Commission, Georgia
Subsequent Injury Trust Fund
Superior Court Clerks' Cooperative Authority, Georgia
Supreme Court, Georgia
Teachers' Retirement System
Technical College System of Georgia
Technology Authority, Georgia
Transportation, Department of
Treasury and Fiscal Services, Office of
Veterans Services, Department of
Workers' Compensation, State Board of
Workforce Development, Governor's Office of
World Congress Center Authority, Georgia[/quote:2qlkmms2]

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
gunsmoker said:
ChipM said:
ChipM: I was trying to "clarify" the law while changing it the minimal amount necessary to clarify the way we think it is right now.
If you want to fundamentally change the law, sure, let people carry in government buildings and at government meetings, political functions and events, etc. But that goes way beyond what I thought the O.P. was asking about.
Oh, gotcha - I misunderstood. From my reading of your revision, it sounded as if you only meant to include called meetings of the organizations you mentioned, and not necessarily their day-to-day office operations.

I still feel that the language is pretty clear on this topic, but I deal with many of these types of entities routinely for whatever that is worth.

EDIT: After reading it again, I still got the same meaning. You mention all sorts of meetings, but with your two exclusions (meetings, and portions of buildings where meetings take place) you seem to remove the entire part of the law that makes places where meetings do not take place off-limits (i.e., the day-to-day business offices of a government entity).

·
Lawyer and Gun Activist
28,110 Posts
Well, I was going to make that part of the building that is normally used for government agency meetings off-limits.
Not the whole building itself. A government agency or commission or board could have its offices on the 4th floor of some government owned building, but the first floor could be a library, and the 2nd and 3rd floors could be a museum. The 5th floor might be storage space for archived records from the Board of Education of Fulton County.... I think the intent of HB 89 was to keep it unlawful for the public to carry guns when interacting with government officials where they do their decision-making functions.

·
Banned
9,358 Posts
gunsmoker said:
Well, I was going to make that part of the building that is normally used for government agency meetings off-limits.
Not the whole building itself. A government agency or commission or board could have its offices on the 4th floor of some government owned building, but the first floor could be a library, and the 2nd and 3rd floors could be a museum. The 5th floor might be storage space for archived records from the Board of Education of Fulton County.... I think the intent of HB 89 was to keep it unlawful for the public to carry guns when interacting with government officials where they do their decision-making functions.
Killing Spree Zone! :screwy:

·
Registered
670 Posts
ookoshi said:
ChipM said:
AND require a place to check firearms.
Unfortunately this sentence here will be met with opposition by both metro Atlanta and Rural areas with smaller budgets (which is needed for firearm legislation anywayssince metro Atlanta is more left of center). Forcing those places to have to build, maintain, and assume liability for firearms left in their control is not really feasible as cash strapped as our state government is now.
You're right. In this session, putting anything in a bill that adds a new spending requirement will likely cause the bill to be dropped. I would like the state to require off-limits govt facilities to provide weapon storage, but this is probably not the year to go for it. Narrowing down (and clarifying) the list of off-limits govt buildings does not cost a cent.

I don't think any govt building that doesn't have prisoners should be off-limits. Since what we have now is a vague law that could possibly include all govt buildings, a little compromise would still leave us a lot better off. A list that includes rooms currently holding state and municipal official legislative or disciplinary hearings (and require clear posting on all doors) would eliminate most buildings that may currently be covered under "buildings that house a govt entity." Narrowing it down to a single room instead of a building and narrowing the time frame from always to only while certain types of official meetings are actively held, would be a dramatic improvement but still give the anti-gun people a little something.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
gunsmoker said:
I think the intent of HB 89 was to keep it unlawful for the public to carry guns when interacting with government officials where they do their decision-making functions.
Unfortunately, the bill doesn't just affect the public - it also affects the government officials who have to interact with the public, as well as government employees who never interact with the public, including those who must walk alone to an empty parking lot late at night or early in the morning (specifically, a parking lot near a major college campus which has had several armed robberies and shootings within a block of said parking lot), not to mention that it includes private contractors (the phone guy, cleaning crew, etc) who are doing work inside those same offices.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts

That video is just one of many examples of why I believe that those with a GWCL(or a license in any state within the United States) should be able to carry anywhere, at any time. No idiotic exceptions, no "for the children" :censored: or "reasonable restrictions" liberal lies. An armed citizen, or board member could have used a control pair, placed center mass to stop the aggression in this video...or is that double tap, to the mat?

Also, if they guy really wanted to get in, not even an armed law enforcement officer or two, with protective bubble-issuing metal detectors could have really stop the guy. He could have come in shooting, either wounding or killing the officer, then proceeded to open fire on the "government entity".

It is laws like this that has stopped my involvement in anything that would require me to enter the premises of any off-limit places. I do not fly, I do not go to the courthouse(except to obtain my GWCL), I do not attend school functions(my niece is going to start kindergarten this coming fall, so I will miss a few things) and I quit going to church(God knows I love him and pray to him regularly).

I might sound crazy, but it is unreasonable to expect anyone to have to run to their car if someone enters into one of the special, utopian areas that magically disarms everyone, except those criminal mages/wizards that are immune to the magic of a "gun-free [free, unarmed target] zone".

Ok, sorry about the rant. :evil:

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
Should include secure areas of law enforcement agency facilities, i.e. lock-ups and visiting rooms; courtrooms; umm, I am still trying to think of any other government building where carry should be banned.

·
Registered
4,230 Posts
ChipM said:
That being said, i think the current definition is about as unambiguous as it could possibly be: "(4) 'Government entity' means an office, agency, authority, department, commission, board, body, division, instrumentality, or institution of the state or any county, municipal corporation, consolidated government, or local board of education within this state."
Makes me wonder if I'm violating the law when I take my garbage to the compactor site. There is a county employee and a small shed about 10x10 that they utilize as an office.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts