Why support the 2nd Amendment?

Discussion in 'Firearm Related' started by Bkite, Jan 10, 2021.

1. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Second Amendment
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed.

We all know what it says. We, I suppose, know why it was penned.
    All I am hearing now are statements like, "there is never a time for violence", the violence at the capital is unacceptable, and other similar statements.
    Kaleigh McEnany stated that, "The violence we saw yesterday at our Nation's capital was appalling, reprehensible and antithetical to the American way".
    My question to you is it really antithetical to the American way?
    Why do we even support/fight for the second Amendment if there is never a time to brush it off and use it?
    Would our forefathers be clamoring for the head's of our legislators today?
    If not now when?
    We have a party in charge now that wants to throw open our borders and give free stuff (aka funded by taxpayers) to anyone and everyone coming in.
    We have a government that takes taxes from the American taxpayer and funds gender studies over seas.
    Our 2nd Amendment rights have been infringed for years and years.
    There is never a time for violence however.
    So what is the point of supporting the 2nd Amendment?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    Daniel8mm likes this.
  2. blind_shake

blind_shake Well-Known Member

I'm ok with violence. Unlike what mom taught, sometime violence is the answer.

MaricopaKid and Smilodon like this.

3. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

What has this got to do with the second amendment ? No one was bearing arms...

...and there was certainly nothing regulated about a militia.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2021
    gunsmoker likes this.
  4. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

I take it then you do not know what the 2nd amendment says. Otherwise you would not ask that question. Regardless of whether you agree with the above statements or not they do pertain to the 2nd amendment.

5. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

So explain it to me then if you don't mind. How do they pertain to the 2nd amendment ?

6. Harhib

Harhib Active Member

Okay I’ll bite, one of the intentions of the founding fathers when they penned the 2nd was to guarantee the people had the means to defend themselves from a tyrannical government. I believe that was being alluded to above.

7. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

Well I guess I don't see where that was accomplished in the least. All they did is turn a lot of people against those people who supported Trump and some good conservatives that didn't even support him. Explain to me how any progress was made towards defending themselves against a tyrannical government. All it did was give the liberals a huge excuse to continue to change things in the favor of the left.

Just don't really see any of it as a 2nd amendment play as such. But I probably just don't understand it as well as you experts do.

Thanks for explaining to me.

8. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

You are correct.

NTA likes this.
  9. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

The capital hell incident didn't have anything to do with the 2A. That is not what his post was about, but the reaction to that incident.

gunsmoker likes this.
  10. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

My post is very clear except to those who are just butt wipe stupid or ignorant of the meaning of the 2nd. I almost included a third category of those being purposefully yet needlessly argumentative. I thought better of adding that 3rd category for reasons that should be apparent to anyone other than those being purposefully yet needlessly argumentative.

Harhib and Smilodon like this.
  11. Smilodon

Smilodon Active Member

We have become too comfortable and it has made us soft.

blind_shake, Bkite and Harhib like this.
  12. 45_Fan

45_Fan Well-Known Member

I support the second amendment because grandma deserves the right to shoot back.

The chances I’ll need a firearm to defend myself from a tyrannical government is slightly less than my chances of surviving such an encounter.

The chances that my being armed deters crime and sets back the need/demand for a police state is greater than 1.

With regards to the happenings in DC and correlation to the second amendment? There is none. There was no army shooting bystanders. There was no raping, looting, and burning under color of government.

Say you don’t like some duly elected individual in office? The second amendment doesn’t exist for that. There are court precedents and gallows affirming as much. Run against them. Campaign against them. Build a vast network of allies and get them voted out. Don’t pretend like the second amendment provides an alternative to the real work of democracy.

mb90535im likes this.
  13. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

Your gobbledegook proves my point here and other points I have alluded to about you in other posts. Thank you for your contribution good sir. You show your colors every time you post. It is refreshing for a man to show where he stands even if it is as much by what he doesn’t say as what he does say. Or better yet, even it is by a lot of lip service that means absolutely nothing.

14. dhaller

dhaller Active Member

Where does it say that in the Constitution?

I see this argument often, but where is the language in the 2nd amendment that says "this is to defend yourselves from a tyrannical government", because I don't see it.

(I'm serious. I am many things, but an eminent Constitutional scholar isn't one of them, so if there's a body of addenda or appendices to the Constitution or whatever in which the founding fathers lay out their "intentions", like "oh, by the way, one of the reasons for the 2nd Amendment is to defend ourselves against, basically, our government if it ever becomes a tyranny" I would appreciate a link or citation.)

DH

15. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

There's support of the Second Amendment as enabling a right of revolution against your own government to be found in the
    FEDERALIST PAPERS.

But I don't know how much evidence there is that that particular statement, written by one author, was widely agreed-upon by the Framers. Widely circulated, sure, and talked about maybe. But was there a consensus on agreement with it by those who created the bill of rights and the representatives of the States that then voted them into effect?

Some of these people have outrageous ideas about the relationship between the people and the government that OTHERS of the Framers didn't share. Thomas Jefferson was perfectly OK with having a grumbling, threatening people regularly practicing acts of terrorism and attempted insurrection.
    Maybe they won't succeed most of the time, but the fact that they're always trying always pushing back was in his view a good thing.

16. gunsmoker

gunsmoker Lawyer and Gun Activist

The 2nd Amendment is to be used when the all people in general are threatened by an out-of-control government. Not some small subset of the people like hard-core members of one political party. (you can't even say all Republicans have been screwed by the government because most Republicans are wishy-washy moderates.)

So Bkite, what you're saying is you want the second amendment to be used by a very small minority, a special interest group, to go to war against a super majority of Americans. That's not right.

********And *******
    As i've said before hear today's problem with implementing the second amendment for going up against your own government is the lack of quality information on which the American people can make their decision. A bunch of gullible overly emotional and paranoid people passing rumors and propaganda around the Internet is not the basis of accurate information on which to make a decision to become an enemy in surgeon fighting against your own country's government.

17. Bkite

Bkite PawPaw x 3

What do you mean here by threatened?
    Also, is it not applicable to defending the Constitution?
    Do we have now a government that conducts itself daily in an unconstitutional manner?
    You can actually see the disparate ways justice is applied to the Elite political class and we the serfs.
    You can see it in how many is taken from Americans and redistributed to other individuals and Nations.
    You can see it in how the politicians and beaurocrats themselves live a life of rules for thee but not for me.

As for the wanting the 2nd to be used by a very small minority, you have lying when you say that is what I want. Flat out lying.

18. Baba Yaga

Baba Yaga Active Member

Hey gunsmoker, review the oaths that are taken by these individuals. Can you derive us an opinion on that for clarification?

For the sake of further discussion.

19. HJB

HJB Well-Known Member

OK Bkite now reading the responses you have gotten, which category do you fit yourself into ? 1) butt wipe stupid or 2)ignorant of the meaning of the 2nd,
    or 3) purposely yet needlessly argumentative ?

I know which category I put you in but would love to hear your decision on that.

Then we can get everyone else to vote too and reach a conclusion.