Why Probate Judges? To disarm Black Georgians!!

Discussion in 'GWL News & Information' started by Mike from Philly, Jan 19, 2007.

1. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

Ever wonder why Georgia uses Probate Judges to issue the licenses? The history of the gun laws in Georgia is very clear. The white ruling elite was and is fearful of armed Black Georgians. They created a system that would guarantee Blacks were disarmed and that would have the appearance of being non-discriminatory.

After the Civil War, the white ruling elite desired to create an attractive investment climate for Northern money. In order to do that, they created myths and illusions to hide the true extent of racial prejudice in Georgia. Thus white ruling elite couldn’t directly deny Blacks their rights, they needed to hide their intentions so that the Northern investors wouldn't object.

To deny Blacks the right to vote, the law was changed in 1908 to require that voters be a) of good character and able to pass a test on citizenship, (b) be able to read and write provisions of the U.S. or Georgia constitutions, or (c) own at least 40 acres of land or $500 in property. However, any Georgian who had fought in any war from the American Revolution through the Spanish-American War was exempted from these additional qualifications. More importantly, any Georgian descended from a veteran of any of these wars also was exempted. Because by 1908, most white Georgia males were grandsons of Confederate veterans, this exemption became known as the "grandfather clause." Essentially, the qualifications of good character, citizenship knowledge, literacy, and property ownership applied only to blacks wanting to register to vote. Since most Blacks at that time were former slaves and poor tenant farmers, the literacy and property ownership requirement eliminated them from the voter rolls. The good character clause eliminated educated and wealthy Blacks.

Employing that same deception in two years late in 1910, Georgia enacted the law that requires a license issued by Probate Judge (fka Ordinary) in order to have or carry a firearm. The qualifications and intent was similar to those that disenfranchised Blacks two years earlier. Applicants had to be: a) at least eighteen years old or over b) give a bond payable to the Governor of the State in the sum of one hundred dollars, and c) a fee of fifty cents. The one hundred dollar bond was 6 months worth of earning for blacks of that period and is equivalent to $2,000 in today’s money. In the unlikely event a black man could post the bond, the Ordinary, who was always white since blacks could not hold office, could be counted on to deny the application, especially since only whites could vote at this time. By using the judicial branch for their discriminatory policy, Blacks were unable to challenge the denials.

This legacy of Jim Crow and the Black Codes still stains our state. None of us are free until all vestiges of Jim Crow are erased from our laws.

2. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Somewhere on here, I posted that the average annual wage for a black schoolteacher in 1910 was only $75.

Great post, Mike from Philly!

3. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

Very interesting and informative!

Thanks Mike.

4. Mike from Philly

Mike from Philly New Member

The number posted ($37/month) was for white teachers. Black teachers earned much less. In one of the books I found, $200 was the annual pay for a black teacher.

The Sharecroppers didn't make any money. It was virtual slavery.

BTW - Have you read about the Peonage System in Georgia? Sheeze, that was bad. Basically, you would get arrested on some charge. The Judge (the same guy who issued the license) would fine you a certain amount of money, always more than you had. If you couldn't pay, a white land owner would pay your fine. Then you had to work off that debt, which you never could. If you tried to escape, the Probate Judge (fka Oridinary) would send the Sheriff after you.

5. Malum Prohibitum

I give a link to the black schoolteacher pay. The $37 monthly was for white teachers. Black teachers made less than $100 annually.

Unfortunately, you have to cut and paste the link, because I could not get it to work correctly, but it is all there in the post.

Peonage - I knew a girl whose grandfather was tried for that.

Lay This Body Down is a good book about it, spelling out the process and what one white farmer does to get rid of the "evidence" when the feds come snooping around. True story. Very gripping. Very sad.

I had a great grandmother who was a sharecropper.

I also had one who was an indian living on a reservation.

Only in America.

6. johnpeace

johnpeace New Member

This is the basis for a great, informative article for publication at GC.org.

Anyone (Mike) want to edit and rearrange for publication there?

7. Black Ice

Black Ice Member

History you either luv it or hate it.

8. gunsbillygun

gunsbillygun New Member

but you better remember it.

9. Malum Prohibitum

Agreed. Otherwise, people think laws like Georgia's requiring licenses have their roots in "public safety."

:roll:

10. Sgt.B

Sgt.B New Member

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Black Ice wrote:
    History you either luv it or hate it.

but you better remember it.

Or you may repeat it.

11. Malum Prohibitum

12. MLS 4506

MLS 4506 Active Member

:shock: after reading your post,i only have one question [/b]HAVE YOU JOINED GCO YET!!! :)

13. Wiley

Wiley New Member

Have you given any thought to running for Probate Judge? The qualification are in the O.C.G.A. (just search for Probate Judge) and are minimal: At least a GED and the filing fee is based on the salary which is based on the population of the County. (less than $4000 as I remember.)

14. budder

budder Moderator Staff Member

I'd expect our elected officials to follow and uphold the law, and not just their opinion, but...