Why no CC sign at gun ranges?

Discussion in 'Ranges, Dealers & Smiths' started by kaizer, May 11, 2007.

1. kaizer

kaizer New Member

This has been bothering me, and I don't think I will do my feelings justice in words, but here it goes:

I would assume that a gun shop/range is fairly pro 2nd A, so why do they all have signs that restrict lawful citizens from carrying when they are there? I know you don't want Billy Bob walking in with his desert eagle and waiving it around for everyone to see, but my mind just can't make any sense of a place that should be a safe haven for guys like myself and then right on the door they restrict my right to carry. I don't know, maybe I am crazy and there is liability and all that crap, but generally I do not visit businesses which make a habit of posting these signs as a form of protest against them, kinda impossible with gun shop/range.

I talked to the guy at Oakwood Sportsman Warehouse about it today, and he tried to give me a good reason but he pretty much failed in convincing me. I would love to see some other opinions on this one. Thanks for the input.

Steve

2. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I would think that it is for liability and safety (like running a cold range in a beginning shooter class) reasons. I wouldn't be shocked to find out that the insurance companies have something to do with it as well.

Franklins in Athens is the only place I've ever seen really try to enforce it.

3. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Its like that comedy routine . . .

Why do they have a sign on the label of hairspray saying not to throw it into the fire?

Because some idiot, somewhere, thought, "I wonder what it would be like to throw this in the fire?"

4. kaizer

kaizer New Member

Thanks for responding guys, yeah I just cannot get my head around it. Speaking of Franklins in Athens, I purchased a Glock from them several years ago. I was still in school, but after working for several years and experiencing life I would have to say that those are the biggest A-holes that I have ever dealt with, I would never purchase anything from them again. I don't know why I put up with them when I did, I guess they had the right gun and I was too lazy to drive somewhere else to look for it.

5. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

I had sworn that I would never do business in there again after I caught one of their counter cruisers in a bold face lie. I went for several years without doing any business there. My mother-in-law gave me some money for a gun locker when my wife and I had our daughter. After hitting everything else in town, I stopped by Franklins on the way back home. Mark Franklin happened to wait on me, and he made me a heckuva deal on a locker; so, I started giving them some business and actually got a nice deal on a S&W 642 in there. I haven't done any business in there lately as I bought a 5906TSW there, which I was told was a demo model. I later had a problem with it that S&W fixed, but they told me the pistol was a police trade-in and not a demo. I guess Franklins could have simply been wrong, but based on past history I just haven't been able to bring myself to spend money there.

6. kaizer

kaizer New Member

almost everyone I have talked to that has been in that place has the same complaints. It sucks because they have a great selection, it is just the guys that work their counter are bastards. Anyway, I feel strongly about it now, and unless there are absolutely no other options I will never buy a thing from them again, not a bullet or a holster or a freaking pack of gum.

7. Rammstein

Rammstein New Member

kaizer,

I think the reason that most places have that is to protect against the one idiot who wants to bring his pistol in while holding it in his hands with a full mag and one in the pipe.

I had a gun shop tell me it was against the law to open carry. After I schooled the punk gun store commando he said well then I couldn't carry in his store. Fine by me; his store his rules. BUT, I will never buy a firearms from them ever again. I don't care if they have a better price or not, they will get nothing from me. I bought one pistol from them, but I won't make that mistake twice.

Now the range I always go to (Bulls Eye in Cumming) does not mind if I carry into their shop. Norm knows me and knows I am not going to do something stupid.

I think if you ask most places they will tell you that the sign is more for the stupid people and not everyone.

8. kaizer

kaizer New Member

Ramm,

I saw the other post and your comments about Bullseye. I have shot there two or three times as it is on my way home from work. Really nice guys, I even called a buddy of mine to tell him that I actually found a gun shop where the employees aren't total douche bags. I am glad they are not hipocrits. Along with the Sportsman Lodge, these guys will get all my business from now on. Although, Sportsman still may have a fit if you walk in carrying, don't know guess I will have to try it.

9. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

They have a big sign on the door about no loaded guns inside. I'm not sure, but I think one of the employees saw me making an "adjustment" in the parking lot, but nothing was said to me.

10. glockgirl

glockgirl New Member

yeah I actually rather buy guns at academy or the firing lane than franklins... I think franklins has had "problems" with their FFL records before and almost had their FFL pulled.

The guys at academy are super nice and don't mind me constantly window shopping and take me seriously when I tell them I want to take a closer look at the AR 15 or something. Plus if they know somewhere else has a special on 9mm ammo they always tell me about it. the only thing I hate is the counter is like chin high for me so I can barely see over it to see the ammo shelves. Being short sucks!

11. legacy38

legacy38 Active Member

Franklins did in fact lose its FFL. A family member then applied and received an FFL, which is how they are now selling firearms again.

I've gotten good service at Academy as well.

12. qre2457

qre2457 New Member

Probably for the times when someone walked in, pulled a hidden gun from his waistband, pointed it towards the worker and said "got anything to fit this."

I have heard first hand accounts of this and even experienced it personally when I worked at Wal-Mart many years ago.

13. ptsmith24

ptsmith24 New Member

:screwy:

14. GeorgiaGlocker

GeorgiaGlocker Romans 1:16

Kaizer, I can open carry at my gun range. The only signs that he has posted are those that state that your firearms must be unloaded when you enter. I purchased all of my Glocks from him and he does know that I have my GFL. Concealed carry I'm not sure about. I will ask him the next time I go.

15. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

franklins experience

I will echo the bad experience at Franklin's. I will tell a little story which will make me look stupid - don't laugh - but will prove what a-holes they are. I was buying a shotgun a couple of years ago from a dealer in Texas so I had to have it shipped to a FFL holder locally. Now here is where I look stupid, bear with me. I was raised around guns and own many handguns. I have had a CC license since moving to GA 6 years ago and actually shoot pretty well. I just didn't read all the mags, forums, etc. until more recently. I didn't (and still don't) know all the lingo, specifically what a FFL was. I called Franklin's and asked the guy if they had a FFL and that I needed to have a shotgun shipped in. He told me they didn't have a FFL. I asked him if he knew anyone in town that did that I could call. He told me "NO" and promptly hung up. OK, as I said this makes me look stupid and yes I now know what a FFL is. Each time I have gone in I have had to chase someone down to get any help. They always seem to be too busy to help and don't know anything.

Locally, I have also had good experiences at Academy Sports. I do most of my shopping at Clydes Armory. They are extremely knowledgeable and very patient with window shoppers.

16. Malum Prohibitum

Malum Prohibitum Moderator Staff Member

Re: franklins experience

:lol:

17. VolGrad

VolGrad Tactical Statistician

i guess knowing now what i do about their history with the BATF and their licensing issue - he probably wasn't that far off saying they didn't have a FFL. hahaha.

18. rajl

rajl New Member

Ding ding ding ding. It's a safety issue. How many times have you seen people fondling a gun at a gun store while thinking about a purchase, and while checking the sights out or testing the trigger pull, they disobey the 4 rules and point the barrell at somebody?

Now imagine you allow concealed carry/open carry, and you don't know if the gun that's being fondled is loaded or not ("Hey guys, do you have anything that fits this?" or one customer says to another "Hey, don't get gun X, they suck. You should really look at gun Y, I love mine. Want a look?").

19. blind_shake

blind_shake Active Member

Big Woods Goods are a bunch of good guys too. To me customer service is 80% since most places carry the same stuff, the other 20% is for the hard to find items and smithing services.

20. newarcher

newarcher New Member

I don't know what the issue is with gun store employees.

I have had good service at David's Gun Room but their prices are really high. I talked with the owner's daughter when looking for my Kimber Ultra Carry and she was great.

The absolute worst (tie) is Bass Pro Shops and Bullseye in Lawrenceville. At BPS, there is always a 30 minute wait while your number is called and then the kid behind the counter doesn't know the first thing about guns. At Bullseye in Lville, they are just a bunch of aholes. I went in there one day and the guy with the grey hair and glasses acted like such a turd. I was thinking about getting a J frame revolver and was comparing the various brands. Each time I would ask to see another one, he would sort of sigh like "not another". I left not to go back.

Seems that many of these owners need to school their employees on the fact that when working with a customer, there are no other customers and there certainly aren't any other employees that you should be talking to so that the potential buyer has to say "excuse me" to get a question answered. That is my major complaint. They will hand you a gun and then talk to the other employees like you don't exist. You have to wait for a lull and then they act like you are bothering them.

They had better be lucky I am too poor to start my own shop because I would put them all out of business with outstanding customer service.

New