Why carry a large capacity auto loader?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by moga, Dec 9, 2010.

1. moga

moga New Member

This thread is a spin-off of the snub nose 38 thread that I decided to create separately instead of hi-jacking the other topic with the following comments.

This morning's news has a story that is very typical for east side neighborhoods in Atlanta that have gentrified in the last ten years or so. Here's the latest one that hits pretty close to home:

Like I said, if I lived some where a lot more civilized, I'd probably have a different opinion of the snubby 38. Until such time, its serves as strictly a BUG in my rotation, especially when the brutality and total lack of restraint by the outlaws are encouraged by a broken system that fails to bring justice to the offenders after they're caught. Case in point: the bios on the repeat offender that are responsible for the attempted murder in question:

MICHAEL DANGELO ECHOLS
    1976 BOULDERVIEW DR SE, ATLANTA, GA 30316
    AGGRAVATED ASSAULT
    BURGLARY
    ROBBERY

Mr. Echols, who just turned 19, was already facing five armed robbery charges from August 2009.

STERLING JAY ALFORD
    2009 BOULDERVIEW DR, ATLANTA, GA 30316
    FIREARM POSSESSION BY CONVICTED FELON

Mr. Alford, 21, was apparently convicted of a 2005 robbery and was imprisoned from Sept. 2006 to Oct. 2008. It seems he committed that crime when he was 16 (that arrest does not show in the DeKalb jail system) but was sentenced to big-boy prison. He currently has two aggravated assault charges pending from what looks like the same incident as the robbery (charges were filed in August 2006 but the offense date was the same as the robbery - he was released from DeKalb jail on the date he entered prison). After being released (14 months early), he was arrested for parole violations in March 2009, April 2009 and October 2009. None of those arrests show cases pending or charges filed.

:x

2. a-squared

a-squared New Member

One good reason is the amount of people involved in situations like this.

Not too long ago there was a rash of armed robberies near my home involving a waffle house and Ingles.

Usually 3-4 people involved. If you have to draw in that situation with the odds already so stacked against you, the least you can do to help yourself is have enough ammunition without reloading to stop the baddies.

This is another reason I prefer CC over OC. I prefer to have element of surprise. If you ran across a "smart" criminal(s) who noticed you carrying, you would inherently make yourself a target if he is scouting the place/people before making his move.

3. Match10

Match10 Active Member

Carry two... Or reloads. Easy.

4. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

Bad guys do not fight fair and you may have to engage multiple assailants and you want the capability to do so.

You may be by yourself or the person or people your are with may not be armed.

You should still carry spare ammo even if you have a high capacity weapon. I was in those classes in the early 80's and instructors telling you if you can't get it done in X amount of rounds and so forth you don't need it. These guys probably have never been in a gunfight. If you ever have to fire on a person you will not know how many rounds you shot and you may want to reload your weapon incase you have to fight again. Also most of your weapon malfunctions can be fixed by changing magazines.

PS your weapon your carry for personal protection should hold at least 8 rounds and still carry spare ammo.

5. Melissa5

Melissa5 Active Member

The odds of winning a 1 against 3 can't be good even with a large capacity auto, but my Glock 30SF with 13 rounds of Gold Dots makes me feel as warm and fuzzy as a handgun can.

6. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

OC is a persons right however, it is not tactically sound to me. You walk into a robbery in progress and you just gave to bad guys an extra gun. Now some states you can't carry CC but in this state you can but its your choice and booty on line.

7. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

This is why I carry an ak 47 type handgun. Thirty rounds of 7.62x39 is probably enough for any situation I find myself in.

8. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

It can be done it all depends on your training recieved. Most instructors teach you how to shoot or take you though drills but do not teach you how to fight with a gun.

9. a-squared

a-squared New Member

OC is a persons right however, it is not tactically sound to me. You walk into a robbery in progress and you just gave to bad guys an extra gun. Now some states you can't carry CC but in this state you can but its your choice and booty on line.[/quote:2gdr26zy]

Correct. Hopefully my statements didn't read as I was opposed to open carry. I have no problems with CC or OC, nor do I think one is better than the other. I just personally prefer to CC.

10. mathar1

mathar1 New Member

OC is a persons right however, it is not tactically sound to me. You walk into a robbery in progress and you just gave to bad guys an extra gun. Now some states you can't carry CC but in this state you can but its your choice and booty on line.[/quote:3ltbvyil]
    The old "tactically sound" crap again. No matter how concealed you are you cannot outdraw someone who has a bead on you so any gun is useless in that situation. I prefer OC because the best fight is the one you never got into in the first place. Wear a gun with discipline and authority and perps WILL find an easier target.

As for the OP I agree with good capacity and extra mags. Magazines jam, rounds jam and it is a lot easier to simply drop and load a fresh than try to fix the problem in a fight.

11. mpc

mpc New Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2KJHysK6k8

12. Signal 69

Signal 69 Member

The old "tactically sound" crap again. No matter how concealed you are you cannot outdraw someone who has a bead on you so any gun is useless in that situation. I prefer OC because the best fight is the one you never got into in the first place. Wear a gun with discipline and authority and perps WILL find an easier target.

As for the OP I agree with good capacity and extra mags. Magazines jam, rounds jam and it is a lot easier to simply drop and load a fresh than try to fix the problem in a fight.[/quote:1eok0hi5]

No, you cannot out draw someone who has the drop on you however, there are other things that you can do that have worked more than a lot of times. You have to come train with me to see for yourself I have a guy who doubted it till it happened to him and he killed the guy. But if I have the drop on you and you are standing there with a weapon I can see that weapon is mine now.

OC can be a deterrant but times change the bad guys are getting meaner as time goes along and seeing you with a gun may mean they fire on you and take it. In my opinion its just a matter of time that starts happening.

OC its not for me I don't think anyone needs to know I have a weapon.

13. jklotz

jklotz New Member

The felons mentioned in the OP make me think of a book I read at the recommendation of an instructor I once had called "Inside the Criminal Mind". It was written by a psychiatrist who studied repeat offenders over a decade long period and concluded these people are different from from the normal person. They have a predisposed personality disorder from birth, and are basically unrehab-able. The only "out" for this type of person is a life sentence or to be murdered on the street. They don't have the capacity for compassion or remorse, and view anybody offering such as weak, and in the right situation, a target.

I don't remember the exact percentage of criminals who were repeat offenders he said fell into this category, but it was well over 70%. Basically, a one time repeat offender has a better than 70% chance of dying in prison or being murdered on the street after being let out of jail the second time. He made a good argument, which, of course the liberals went nuts over, but it certainly mirrored what I've seen living in downtown Atlanta for the last 12 years. You can't change these people, all you can do is protect yourself from being their next victim.

It's a good read, and I assure you, if your not carrying now, you will after the first 3 chapters....

http://www.amazon.com/Inside-Criminal-M ... 0812910826

14. Match10

Match10 Active Member

...the term is "Psychopath".

15. BWCustoms

BWCustoms New Member

Please quote or link any story where this has actually happened to a civilian.

This thinking is one of the biggest urban legends in the entire gun community.

16. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

Many have been raised in an environment which keeps them down. They don't excel at school and get stuck making $8/hr. They have kids and can't pay the support. They start into crime because nearly everything anyone does is criminal. These people do not get good lawyers. They go to jail and are unemployable because the system marks and punishes them. They see how corrupt the system is and just stop caring. That is my opinion.

17. a-squared

a-squared New Member

I don't need to. I stated it was my preference to carry for that purpose, not asserting anyone should do it for the same reason I do.

18. kwikrnu

kwikrnu Banned

I eat popcorn because when I do fairies and unicorns dance in the woods. That's the reason I eat popcorn, you don't have to eat it if you don't want to.

19. MesaCranker

MesaCranker Active Member

And then you paint the tip orange to make it seem like the weapon is fake so you'll throw off the bad guys, right? All part of your tacti-cool strategy?

20. a-squared

a-squared New Member

But I would eat some popcorn if that was the case...